Gold Card

cleopatra2

Regarding a Thai Gold card.

Is there any restrictions with regards payment for operations.

I have a friend who is due to go for operation that is saying the government will only pay the first 250000 from a 300000 bill

Leaving a bill of 50000

This does not sound correct to me.

They have not asked me to pay

There is not a restriction based on amount but there are certain items that are nto covered.

For example if the person opts for a laparoscopic procedure the cost of the special equipment/supply may have to be paid (a friend paid 14K for laparoscopic vs open gall bladder removal).  Radio ablation for atrial fibrillation, have to pay for the probe piece.  Some orthopedic implants (titanium screws etc) might not be covered.

I am not sure but possible coronary artery stents are nto covered.

And private rooms also are nto covered.

Most of what is not covered, there are alternatives for though they may be less desirable. (Open surgery rather than laparoscopic,  bypass rather than stent etc etc).

Your friend should find out exactly what the 50K of uncovered expenses consists of and if in any doubt call NHSO (hotline 1330) to see if it is true.

But as far as I know it is not based on amount of the bill per se. If that is truly what your friend is being told and their is nto specific item required that is nto covered then may not be legitimate and should definitely call the NHSO.

What type of surgery is this? 300k for an operation alone is pretty high.

Sometimes people arrange to have a senior doctor personally do surgery on an essentially private basis but within the public channel and in that case they pay a private fee.

So you need to find out the details.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

There is not a restriction based on amount but there are certain items that are nto covered.

For example if the person opts for a laparoscopic procedure the cost of the special equipment/supply may have to be paid (a friend paid 14K for laparoscopic vs open gall bladder removal).  Radio ablation for atrial fibrillation, have to pay for the probe piece.  Some orthopedic implants (titanium screws etc) might not be covered.

I am not sure but possible coronary artery stents are nto covered.

And private rooms also are nto covered.

Most of what is not covered, there are alternatives for though they may be less desirable. (Open surgery rather than laparoscopic,  bypass rather than stent etc etc).

Your friend should find out exactly what the 50K of uncovered expenses consists of and if in any doubt call NHSO (hotline 1330) to see if it is true.

But as far as I know it is not based on amount of the bill per se. If that is truly what your friend is being told and their is nto specific item required that is nto covered then may not be legitimate and should definitely call the NHSO.

What type of surgery is this? 300k for an operation alone is pretty high.

Sometimes people arrange to have a senior doctor personally do surgery on an essentially private basis but within the public channel and in that case they pay a private fee.

So you need to find out the details.

Thank you for response

Originally the person concerned had operation for Rapid Heart Beat. After completion the person was informed by the doctor that a new condition had been diagnosed and would require surgery, blinker. 

I do not know what the condition blinker is or what the doctor is trying to describe.

Blinker is not a medical term

So I also do not know

It sounds like the first surgery may have been radioablation for atrial fibrillation.

I don't know what this second one would be. 

Should ask doctor to write down the medical term. 

And also get in writing what the 50,000 not covered by the Gold card is exactly. Probably special equipment of some type.

Archived