Bipolar Or Manic Depressive Patients

Irene

Hi Irene

I am moving this topic to the Health forum of Thaivisa, because it will most probably attract more responses in there.

:o

/Meadish

Hi Meadish,

Just like to say thank you for correcting my posting. You are most kind. Now I know the basic working of this website reasonably well.

Can you please expand on what type of help you are looking for. From your post you sound like you are a care giver.

Hi John,

Yes, I am a care giver with a daughter diagnosed as having mood swing. What I am seeking for is a discussion group either for care- givers and/or patients in order to share knowledge and experience either through internet or attendance.

For example, I like to know of the ways to coax a patient to take the medicines when the patient insisting that she is well and no longer needing any medical and psychiatrist care. This resistance symptom is common among this type of patients and the major cause for patients to have a relapse.

It depends on how old she is to know what is the best approach. You will find mental heath providers and options very limited in Thailand. I would say that NLP would be how I would approach this to convince her to partake.

Also you must consider that your daughter may be right too. Often medications are given too freely when all that is needed is some counseling. The only time I would say medications are needed is if her brain has lost the ability to regulate the neurochemical balance needed. If that physical symptom does not exist, I would seriously reconsider the type of therapy. It could even be a reaction to some foods like sugar.

If it does turn out to be she cant regulate her neurochemical balance, then there is a list of providers at the top of this section who may know of the groups you seek. Posters may also know of them. It would also help to know where you are in Thailand.

I don't think you'll find a support group as such in Thailand, but if you google I think you'll find online ones.

As far as getting her tyo take her meds, this is indeed the biggest hurdle. The same disease that she needs the meds for prevents her from recognizing her need. Many families find they need to be tough and make continued taking of meds a condition of living with them (or, in the case of a minor child who has to live with them, of not being hospitalized). And it is ofren necessary for the care-giver to actually administer the drugs on a long-term basis...leaving it to the bipolar per5son more often than not e4nds in relapse, for the reasons you mentioned.

I feel for you, good luck.

P.S. Elsewhere on this same forum is a thread from a western man names Simon whose Thai wife is bi-polar, you may find it interesting.

Can you please expand on what type of help you are looking for. From your post you sound like you are a care giver.

Hi John,

Yes, I am a care giver with a daughter diagnosed as having mood swing. What I am seeking for is a discussion group either for care- givers and/or patients in order to share knowledge and experience either through internet or attendance.

For example, I like to know of the ways to coax a patient to take the medicines when the patient insisting that she is well and no longer needing any medical and psychiatrist care. This resistance symptom is common among this type of patients and the major cause for patients to have a relapse.

Hi Irene,

There are many large mental health NGOs on the Net with forums and educational info that is very good. Try MIND (UK) BEYOND BLUE (Aust) - the second one is mainly about depression but has excellent links. One of the largest sites is called PARC Mental Health Resource list in South Australia. But local support groups are indeed the best.

Its difficult, but there are ways to encourage your daughter to take her medication, but I need some more background. Send me a PM if you would like to talk some more.

Hi John K, Sheryl, Tim armstrong and ZZZ,

Just a note of thank you for the suggestions and sympathy. I was truly touched with Sheryl's sympathetic words.

Now I know that there is not much hope for a local group of supporters and now turn to google with hope. I never realise that UK has quite a lot of online support.

Sheryl seems to know and understand of the imbalance well and hit right on the point. It is a recurring scenario with patients feeling high and confident of not needing professional help and then she would feel low, very low, a few days later. I have found a way to counter the patient's resistance by calling for the mother's past devotion and sacrifice which hit at her soft spot and lowed down her resistance. But it was traumatic for long hours to convince her right in the middle of the night.

I also have read simon's thread and sympathise with his sufferings which I know of the quantum. I am looking forward to his report on this one and only private hospital which I hope he had used the facilities. I have a feeling that it should be good since it is new and struggling to survive. Somehow, from his description of the wife's conduct, I do not think his wife's suffering is that of bipolar but more as a personal trait.

I have reasonable amount of experience with many Thai psychiatrists and am able to conclude that except for one doctor those I have been dealing with were reasonable and able to rectify the episode of this high and low mood. I have got the feeling that the good ones stationed once a week at the major private hospitals, Bumrungrad, Bangkok Christian, Bangkok Nursing Home, St. Louis, Bangkok General. The one disappointment I experienced was at one suburban hospital. My daughter conclude that the best she had the care of was one American lady psychiatrist in Boston who really guided her to attain her academic qualification.

Hi Irene,

I think your daughter needs to understand that the medication is probably given to her as a preventative measure a little like one wears a seat-belt in a car. There will be plenty of people out there willing to offer alternative therapies but will they be around to pick up the pieces when things go wrong.

I have noticed the use of CBT Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is very useful in treating manic depressive patients.

I think also it is important for the patient to adopt a regime of self-management without too much reliance on health-care providers and carers. It is obvious that you are trying to do everything to help your daughter but she has to understand and deal with the condition herself.

Best Wishes BB

Hi Irene,

I think your daughter needs to understand that the medication is probably given to her as a preventative measure a little like one wears a seat-belt in a car. There will be plenty of people out there willing to offer alternative therapies but will they be around to pick up the pieces when things go wrong.

I have noticed the use of CBT Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is very useful in treating manic depressive patients.

I think also it is important for the patient to adopt a regime of self-management without too much reliance on health-care providers and carers. It is obvious that you are trying to do everything to help your daughter but she has to understand and deal with the condition herself.

Best Wishes BB

Hi BB,

You have just woken me up. I have been pondering of the situation when I am gone. The thought was frightening. I will start to change the direction now on the two areas as pointed out by you. I am most grateful for your writing. Somehow, I am starting to like this webboard.

Warmest regards, Irene