Brake failure: 4 killed, 45 injured in runaway bus accident in Loei

webfact

9 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

Same stuff over and over again.  Why is maintenance not done on a tour bus before each trip.  Always the brakes fail.  Now the government sit on their butt and wonder why tourism is down.  Too many people come here and die.

It's all about the Care Factor,,,,,, Zero,,,,,,,

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The driver was unable to control the vehicle as it went down a hill on the Nong Hin to Phu Pa Poh Road. It overturned by the side of the road. 

What a miracle, no microsleep?
Reasons for brake problems: no maintenance, very normal in Thailand, high speed and downhill, incompetent drivers and finally lack of due attention!
Why don't you put gorillas in the driver's seat, they would certainly make fewer accidents!

9 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

Same stuff over and over again.  Why is maintenance not done on a tour bus before each trip.  Always the brakes fail.  Now the government sit on their butt and wonder why tourism is down.  Too many people come here and die.

Yes the maintenance is done, but the worker knows nothing about mechanics.

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I wonder how many buses would suffer from brake failure if 'brake failure' meant automatic life in prison for the driver, the engineers and the company owners if resulting in a death ?

IMHO it is not the fault of the engineer/mechanic but the fault of the owners of the bus company. The engineers can point out any number of faults but they need the authorisation from the management to go ahead and get the parts to do the job and take the bus off the road for repair. 

All the owners are interest in is income and not expenditure and if the engineers insist they will probably be fired and a yes man put in place.

I do agree that in cases like this the management should be jailed and the company shut down. Good engineers can usually get another job as can drivers.

50 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

in all my years of driving (48) I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY BRAKES fail on any vehicle I have driven....just another poor excuse...the driver should be banned for a very long time  !!

I once had brake trouble with an old Massey Ferguson tractor.  It was a known issue with it (it had some brakes, albeit quite weak), but due to its low gearing it was generally controllable.  I was still a young person at the time, and was driving the tractor with a trailer hitched up to it, and two people sitting on the trailer.  Unfortunately, the tractor stalled about two-thirds the way up a fairly steep hill, and suddenly the forward gear did little to slow our descent in the reverse direction.  By God's providence, I was able to steer the tractor perfectly through a straight stretch and a moderate curve before it came to rest at the bottom.  We didn't jackknife.  Nobody was hurt.  But it had gotten my heart racing!

I would love to ask Mercedes Benz about brake failures. I bet they would say that a hugely disproportionate amount of them happen in Thailand. Being Germans, they tend not to lie or bend the truth, so drunk bus drivers, incorrectly maintained brakes and drivers falling asleep will all fall under what the Thais report - "brake failure".

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with Mercedes Benz brakes.

Lying about the cause of the accident in the name of "saving face" will only cause further deaths.

Archived