Atm's And Visa Card

kratindaeng

Before I call Visa Card and start demanding answers as why the hel_l I have been unable to extract cash from the ATMS I normally use in Bangkok, has ANYONE else had any probs with VISA card usage this weekend? I still cant precure any readies from the whole in the wall! Jesus F Christ I have to eat! I' m wasting away man! <deleted> is going on with these ATMS?!

Please someone tell me there is a problem with the Visa card connection or something?

OK cheers for that! I feel hungry....15b wont get me far.....fookin ell!

KD :o

KD, haven't you heard? The Immigration service and the Ministry of Finance have partnered teamed up together for a farang-free Thailand. Your ATM card now expires the day your visa does. Have you checked your passport? :o

PM me, and I'll Western Union you a few hundred baht to tide you over 'til Monday. Wait, our country-town Western Union is closed down for the weekend too. :D

Edited by toptuan

KD, haven't you heard? The Immigration service and the Ministry of Finance have partnered together for a farang-free Thailand. Your ATM card now expires the day your visa does. Have you checked your passport? :o

PM me, and I'll Western Union you a few hundred baht to tide you over 'til Monday. Wait, our country-town Western Union is closed down for the weekend too. :D

555555! Crikey but my visa expired 5 years ago! just joking! lor len! I'd very much appreciate any kind donations, 5b mama noodles etc. You'll be seeing me at the BTS Thong Lor buskin next week at this rate! 5555555

:D KD

KD, haven't you heard? The Immigration service and the Ministry of Finance have partnered together for a farang-free Thailand. Your ATM card now expires the day your visa does. Have you checked your passport? :o

SHHhhhhhhh! Please dont give them any ideas! 5555!

Best regards!

KD :D

same experience, started happening a couple of weeks ago. OUB, Kasikorn etc.

So now I mooching off the missus ;)

Same here mate! Just waiting for her to get her ass down to Bangkok now! I can hear tit now .......

"Baby........can i borrow a few baht til friday! :D "

:D:o:D:D:bah::bah::o

Before I call Visa Card and start demanding answers as why the hel_l I have been unable to extract cash from the ATMS I normally use in Bangkok, has ANYONE else had any probs with VISA card usage this weekend? I still cant precure any readies from the whole in the wall! Jesus F Christ I have to eat! I' m wasting away man! <deleted> is going on with these ATMS?!

Please someone tell me there is a problem with the Visa card connection or something?

Kratingdaeng, is yours a UK issued Visa/ATM card? If so then I can shed some light.

Apparently UK banks in conjunction with some branch of fraud control have been putting blocks on the use of some ATM cards outside of the country. I received a letter to my UK address from the Halifax saying something along the lines of "It has come to out attention that an attempt was made to withdraw cash with your card from an ATM in Thailand. This attempt was blocked and all further attempts will be blocked to protect you against fraudulent use of your card".

They gave a number which I was obliged to call in order to get the restriction lifted.

Total pain in the ass eh, if they were smart then they would look at the history of withdrawals made with my card and realise that there's heaps of them from Thai ATMs. I appreciate that these measures are essentially to protect the customer but surely they should use a little common sense before just applying a blanket block on cards.

Edited by Bananaman

Rule number 1: If you are going to use your ATM card (debit or credit card) in Thailand, please notify your bank before you leave your home country. This way, your bank will flag your card so the Fraud Section of your bank is aware that your card will be used in Thailand.

Unfortunately, Thailand is one of a number of countries where card fraud is common.

Peter

Kratingdaeng, is yours a UK issued Visa/ATM card? If so then I can shed some light.

Apparently UK banks in conjunction with some branch of fraud control have put blocks on the use of ATM cards outside of the country. I received a letter to my UK address from the Halifax saying something along the lines of "It has come to out attention that an attempt was made to withdraw cash with your card from an ATM in Thailand. This attempt was blocked and all further attempts will be blocked to protect you against fraudulent use of your card".

They gave a number which I was obliged to call in order to get the restriction lifted.

Total pain in the ass eh, if they were smart then they would look at the history of withdrawals made with my card and realise that there's heaps of them from Thai ATMs. I appreciate that these measures are essentially to protect the customer but surely they should use a little common sense before just applying a blanket block on cards.

Bananaman!

My Card is a UK Issued Halifax Classic VISA Credit Card! (Blue Issue) I called them yesterday and they said they would look at the account, but I was cut off in mid conversation as my phonecard ran out! I tried my ATM card again today and same old <deleted>, Im starting to get annoyed. I think another call is in the pipeline! Hey thanks for shedding the light on this matter!

Best regards!

My Card is a UK Issued Halifax Classic VISA Credit Card! (Blue Issue) I called them yesterday and they said they would look at the account, but I was cut off in mid conversation as my phonecard ran out! I tried my ATM card again today and same old <deleted>, Im starting to get annoyed. I think another call is in the pipeline! Hey thanks for shedding the light on this matter!

The odds are pretty high that is the case and once you get 'topped up' and call them you'll get it worked out. Happened to me a couple of times due to 'pattern' changes in my card. A phone call and 5 minutes later everything was ok again.

The odds are pretty high that is the case and once you get 'topped up' and call them you'll get it worked out. Happened to me a couple of times due to 'pattern' changes in my card. A phone call and 5 minutes later everything was ok again.

Thanks fellas. Shall be speaking to them shortly, I will let you know the problem and the outcome.

Hopefully I can 'precure some readies' soon as Paul Calf used to say, or I may fnd myself joining such posts as 'I Lost Over 100 Kilos, And Here Is How I Did It!

Edited by kratindaeng

KD, it's 5:30pm. Have you found dinner yet for 15B?

As I was sitting here, savoring my BBQ'd jumbo prawns dipped in butter, pasta salad, and garlic bread, (all washed down by a tall, cool Chang), I was thinking sympathetically about your plight...

Incidentally, I always like eating dinner a bit early, so I can enjoy my farang friend's chilled banana cream pie--sprinkled with shredded coconut and slivers of toasted almond--and cognac nightcap, later in the cooler evening hours.

Let us know how it's goin' By the way, you can get a packet of peanuts for 10B at any 7-11.

:o

Edited by toptuan

Thanks fellas. Shall be speaking to them shortly, I will let you know the problem and the outcome.

Hopefully I can 'precure some readies' soon as Paul Calf used to say, or I may fnd myself joining such posts as 'I Lost Over 100 Kilos, And Here Is How I Did It!

Same same happened to me last year with an Australian bank, happened before when I was in Malaysia three years ago.

If you ring them it'll cost you a bomb, go to their website and send a threatening email. They'll say...."but we sent you a letter, we only have your best interests at heart..."

I have a Lloyds TSB Visa card and have twice had it refused at atm machines on two seperate trips. What peed me off was that before leaving for Thailand i had phoned the bank and told them i would be making cash withdrawls from atms in Thailand so please, please, please don't put a block on my card. No worries the fellow says, the computer has been updated and you will have no problems. Gets through to the Lloyds TSB fraud department who unblock the card after a few security questions. Naturally i ask why it was blocked when i had told them i would be in Thailand and would be making atm withdrawls. The answer was, it doesn't matter a ###### if you've informed them before hand, if the system thinks they may be fraudulent withdrawls the card gets blocked.

KD, it's 5:30pm. Have you found dinner yet for 15B?

As I was sitting here, savoring my BBQ'd jumbo prawns dipped in butter, pasta salad, and garlic bread, (all washed down by a tall, cool Chang), I was thinking sympathetically about your plight...

Incidentally, I always like eating dinner a bit early, so I can enjoy my farang friend's chilled banana cream pie--sprinkled with shredded coconut and slivers of toasted almond--and cognac nightcap, later in the cooler evening hours.

Let us know how it's goin' By the way, you can get a packet of peanuts for 10B at any 7-11.

:o

555555! Toptuan! I have only one thing to say to you, and its just as my gf would say it....."Gonna Kill You for Shoooooowaaaaaa!" lol! Just kiddin, hope those prawns were good! sounds very nice you bugger! On a lighter note, the missus just came back from the countryside with a basket of aharn khun mae, so I am doing ok! As for the Visa atm card probs that can wait, a few beers seems to have calmed me down. Banana cream pie, you lucky sod......

Best regards

Last year in May 2006, my USA bank informed me by email that the use of all Visa debit cards would be blocked in 4 countries (N. Korea, Romania, Russia, and Thailand) due to high levels of fraudulent activity traced to these 4 countries. It was 4 months before they lifted these restrictions in Thailand.

Fortunately, I had another ATM card (not Visa) that I could use in only certain Thai ATMs to withdraw money from my USA bank.

An inconvenience and worry.

Had my Visa card blocked twice. Same hole in the wall each time in Pattaya. Once in October and then again in February - when I was down there for a break.

When I contacted the bank fraud dept 2nd time it happened they said the ATM had automatically flagged my card and all further transaction attempts were blocked.

Sorted in 5 minutes each time.

Worth noting that some hole in the wall machines are not up to scratch, so next time, maybe bear that in mind if it happens to you.