Rules about visas and extensions based on retirement (most extensive text?)

a good thread and should be read by anyone not familiar with the requirements for 'retirement' visa's and yearly extensions.

no mention of how to and what is required (insurance) for a 2nd year entry ( not an extension) from the 'O''A' visa

Edited by steve187
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely, and to make TV a really effective tool there should be somewhere a database of Office specific requirements, one thread per office an visa type. Buriram/OA/Marriage, Buriram/O/ Marriage, etc. UJ could delegate and edit if required.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Martyp said:

You need a TM30 to get an extension but I don’t think you need it to re-enter the country. Do you want to clarify this?

not always, it depends on the immigration office if they require a tm30

in Phuket town the farang volunteer goes thru ur passport for doing anything, no tm 30...told to do it

In Patong,they dont require a tm 30

but for sure you DONT need it to enter thailand

as always from issan lawyer many mistakes and things not covered well

( 800,000 2 months before, 3 after and than NEVER less than 400,000 the remainder of the year till you need top up to 800,000 for next extension. and i have never provided any health check up )

• Thanks 1

I don't believe CM Immigration received the December 2019, memo about immigration softening their stance on tourist and expat visas.  Many western retirees who have been in Thailand, for several years have been denied visa extensions ever since the begining of 2019.  I doubt if 2020, will be any different and maybe even stricter.   

12 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

A good and laudable initiative.

However, after a first quick read I find many inaccuracies and omissions in the text.

Will review it thoroughly and provide a corrected version in course of coming days.

Happy XMas!

Please write them and I will modify.

• Like 1

A couple of things on the Non O-A. As far as London went earlier this year, no need for copies in triplicate, the current 800k equivalent needed to be shown as a one month held deposit, where earlier in 2019 it was three months (a couple of years ago no time frame was specified). This has all been overturned by the e-visa system anyhow, so local embassy guidelines should be followed. 

Also, it's possible to obtain a medical certificate in Thailand for the Non O-A application, it doesn't need to be from home country. Mention of prohibitive diseases might be misleading, as there's a similar certificate issued locally for work permits, driving licences etc that excludes tertiary syphilis, so it's important to get the right form signed. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

not always, it depends on the immigration office if they require a tm30

in Phuket town the farang volunteer goes thru ur passport for doing anything, no tm 30...told to do it

In Patong,they dont require a tm 30

but for sure you DONT need it to enter thailand

as always from issan lawyer many mistakes and things not covered well

( 800,000 2 months before, 3 after and than NEVER less than 400,000 the remainder of the year till you need top up to 800,000 for next extension. and i have never provided any health check up )

Well said, are you sure no need TM30 in Patong as opposed to Phuket town immi?  Thanks

On 12/26/2019 at 3:34 AM, Isaanlawyers said:
1. Non-Immigrant O
The first option is to apply for a Non-Immigrant ‘O’ visa at a Royal Thai Consulate in a nearby country (Vientiane, Laos; Phnom Penh, Cambodia; Penang, Malaysia, etc.). For 2000 THB, you receive a 90-day visa which you can later extend to a full year. You’ll need to be over 50 years of age and have bank statements showing an income of over 65,000THB / month or 800,000THB as the total account balance at the time of the application.

AFAIK you can still get a Visa Non-Immigrant "O / Retirement" with an Embassy Letter as Proof of Income, at least in Vientiane. No need of money in a Thai bank.

At the opposite, if you use the bank method, I don't think that showing income 65k is enough. They want 800k in the bank during 3 months.

(Confirmed here:  http://www.thaisavannakhet.com/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/ )

I suppose that rules will vary in each nearby Thai embassy though...

I would like to add that switching from a 60 day tourist visa to a non-O can be done at other immigration offices, not just the immigration office in Bangkok.  I did the switch last year at the immigration office in Mae Sai.  It was easy.  They helped with the paperwork.  It was the. Sent to Chiang Mai.  It took a little over 1 week.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, will provide you with all my comments/suggestions in course of coming days.

Please note that I will NOT do a re-write, but will simply insert bullet-points in the text to highlight where it is incomplete, incorrect or would be beneficial to provide additional information.

And of course I would be willing to proof-read the redacted version, based on those comments.

Cheers and Happy XMas days!

Thanks, I will appreciate seeing.  This is a daunting task.

• Like 1

Cool ???? thanks for RE-CONFIRMING that, this is great free information! And for the exception of a few minor details that is actually quite accurate. Only a few things that might’ve been incorrect but probably correct at A FEW immigration offices here in Thailand: 

Regarding insurance for NON OA extensions apparently at MAYBE SOME immigration offices according to some unconfirmed reports “7) Purchase a health insurance policy to cover your extension of stay for up to one year from one of the participating companies via the website”. Hmm maybe at SOME immigration offices this might be a requirement for extensions of the NON OA but according to the police order it’s not I know for sure where I live this isn’t an issue. But I’ve been on a NON O based on marriage for 5 years now so I don’t care and I have insurance regardless. But yeah I’ve heard that some immigration offices were doing that. I’ve also heard that they are finally getting on the same page to. 

The information you posted about the 5 year visa is pretty interesting! “1) 3,000,000THB deposited in a Thai bank account at least 3 months prior to your application submission, or proof of a 100,000THB monthly income for the past 12 months”. So wow so I’m actually qualified for the 5 year visa but just barely. I might look into that, it sounds like you don’t have to be rich to qualify but at least pretty well off. I’ve been living here for 5 years on a NON O based on marriage which I’m perfectly satisfied with. 

This statement though I don’t know if that’s true but maybe it is because I always do my extension as early as possible every year at least 30 days early. “Some may allow you to apply for an extension with only 2 weeks remaining on your visa, while others might require a month.”

Actually most immigration offices will not let you apply more than 30 days before it expires but some including my local immigration office will let you apply up to 45 days early. I’m not sure about that statement in fact I’m pretty sure you could apply for an extension even one day before it expires but I never wait till the last minute to do important stuff like that. My rule is do it as early as possible so if any unforeseen circumstances do pop up then I still have plenty of time to deal with it. But regardless it’s always a great idea to encourage people to get it done as soon as they allow and to never wait to the last minute to get it done. 

Thanks for that great information!!! And this post almost lays to rest most of the false rumors and it will definitely help people using this forum for information to cut through most of the false information being posted on ThaiVisa every day. So sincerely thank you so much for taking the time to write this post and reconfirm most of this information!!!! Happy New Year ????????????!!!! Appreciate this. 

Edited by DennisE
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

But I’m actually qualified for the 5 year visa and I never even considered it or really even thought about that very much until after reading this post!!! So thank you ???? so much for this information!!! I’m seriously gonna have to look into applying for the 5 year visa because it turns out that I’m actually perfectly qualified for it!!!! I’ve been living here for the past 5 years on a NON O extension based on marriage but the 5 year visa is starting to sound VERY APPEALING TO ME now that it really looks like I’m actually qualified for it financially!!! So again thank you Issan Lawyers for posting this information!! Seriously this is actually one of the most helpful posts I’ve ever seen on this website except for Ubonjoe he also puts out very accurate information as well. I appreciate it very much and Happy New Year ????!!! 

Edited by DennisE

I’m not sure but I remember reading somewhere that the 5 year visa costs like $15,000 or $16,000 USD I don’t know if it’s worth that much money just for a visa but still that would be nice and I’m most certainly qualified for it financially and in every other way. Oh and by the way for a NON O extension you don’t necessarily have to be over 50 years old but I’m pretty sure that’s not what you meant obviously. I’m not quite 50 years old yet I retired in my 40’s 6 years ago after 21 years in the military and I’ve been living here for over 5 years on a NON O extension based on marriage. Plus I’m a 100% disabled veteran so I ended up retiring a little earlier than I planned but I still did 21 years in the military. You actually could be something like 21 years old to quality for the NON O based on marriage or being a parent of a Thai citizen or whatever in fact I’ve seen a few pretty young kids living here on NON O visas based on marriage.

But anyway I’m gonna consider upgrading from my NON O based on marriage to maybe the 5 year visa since apparently I actually do qualify for it!! Thanks again for this information great ???? stuff!!! 

2 minutes ago, DennisE said:

I’m not sure but I remember reading somewhere that the 5 year visa costs like $15,000 or $16,000 USD I don’t know if it’s worth that much money just for a visa but still that would be nice and I’m most certainly qualified for it financially and in every other way. Oh and by the way for a NON O extension you don’t necessarily have to be over 50 years old but I’m pretty sure that’s not what you meant obviously. I’m not quite 50 years old yet I retired in my 40’s 6 years ago after 21 years in the military and I’ve been living here for over 5 years on a NON O extension based on marriage. Plus I’m a 100% disabled veteran so I ended up retiring a little earlier than I planned but I still did 21 years in the military. You actually could be something like 21 years old to quality for the NON O based on marriage or being a parent of a Thai citizen or whatever in fact I’ve seen a few pretty young kids living here on NON O visas based on marriage.

But anyway I’m gonna consider upgrading from my NON O based on marriage to maybe the 5 year visa since apparently I actually do qualify for it!! Thanks again for this information great ???? stuff!!! 

IF you want to extend a non-O based on retirement you have to be at least 50 years old. If you want to extend a non-O based on marriage to a Thai citizen then you can be of any age but the catch is you have to be married. Not always an option for everyone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Martyp said:

IF you want to extend a non-O based on retirement you have to be at least 50 years old. If you want to extend a non-O based on marriage to a Thai citizen then you can be of any age but the catch is you have to be married. Not always an option for everyone.

Yeah I figured that was what they meant because apparently there’s a way that people on retirement visas over 50 years old who are apparently not married to a Thai citizen and who don’t even have any Thai family can somehow switch from a NON OA to a basic NON O like I’m on based on marriage. 

Edited by DennisE
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Martyp said:

I was thinking about switching to a retirement visa when I turn 50 because I am retired here but I’m not going to get all of my insurance paperwork for that so I’ll stay on my NON O marriage extension unless I upgrade to the 5 year visa possibly I’m gonna think about it. Regardless we are considering going back to the states in the next 5 to 10 years anyway. My wife and I married in the states almost 21 years ago now and she is a United States Permanent Resident but we’re liking it here too much for now at least. Plus I’ve seen most of the world and most of the United States but there are still things I want to see in the States especially in my home state of Arizona which is also a very beautiful place to live. But for the time being we’re happy here.