Rules about visas and extensions based on retirement (most extensive text?)

17 minutes ago, DennisE said:

Uhm immigration has only changed once like a year ago for the first time in decades it’s not that bad. Aside from that there was the insurance thing for NON OAs other than that nothing since last year has changed. This is a little bit of what I was talking about earlier about people always over exaggerating online about immigration. 

1 hour ago, pennine said:

I don't know if I missed something, but in the extension section it reads that the SECOND non-O extension is the same as for non-OA, i.e. needs medical insurance. Surely that's not correct?

pennine

Health insurance is ONLY required when applying for an extension of stay based on your original OA Visa for reason of RETIREMENT.

For example when you are married to a thai national, and the extension of your permission to stay based on your original OA Visa is due, you can apply for reason of MARRIAGE and then NO health-insurance is required.  The requirements for both extensions are different, and the extension for reason of marriage has the additional bonus that the financials required are a lot less. 

But I’ve been on a NON O for 5 years and I make over 100K a month so it’s seriously not an issue I was just at immigration on December 2nd or 3rd inquiring about this and the attorneys pretty much just confirmed what all of the rest of us already knew. At least if you did your own research you’d already know most of this stuff. 

On December 26, 2019 at 7:36 AM, Momofarang said:

Absolutely, and to make TV a really effective tool there should be somewhere a database of Office specific requirements, one thread per office an visa type. Buriram/OA/Marriage, Buriram/O/ Marriage, etc. UJ could delegate and edit if required.

And hopefully distinguish a visa from an extension of stay since conflating the two often causes confusion despite the claims from some that "everyone knows what I mean." Frequently it's one or more pages into a thread before anyone can fathom which the O/P actually meant.

• Like 1

And I actually learned one thing as well about the 5 year visa and apparently I do qualify for it but apparently I can only get it in my home country so I’ll just stick with my NON O extension based on marriage I’m cool ???? with that my NON O is good enough I’m way qualified for mine but that 5 year visa sure does sound tempting to me. I still might research it a little more just to check it out because it would be great if I can get it that sure would make life easier. 

Edited by DennisE

22 minutes ago, DennisE said:

And I actually learned one thing as well about the 5 year visa and apparently I do qualify for it but apparently I can only get it in my home country so I’ll just stick with my NON O extension based on marriage I’m cool ???? with that my NON O is good enough I’m way qualified for mine but that 5 year visa sure does sound tempting to me. I still might research it a little more just to check it out because it would be great if I can get it that sure would make life easier. 

You have made so many posts in such a short space of time that I am confused. You do realise that for a 5 year visa, you would require health insurance, right? If you can get that easily, why are you so anxious about different visa classes? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are several inaccuracies in this guide - the problem seems to be that it tries to lay down too many specifics, while on the ground these keep changing. The particulars on applying for a Non O-A in London for instance have been altered a few times in the past couple of years alone (see my post #17), and the bank and medical information given here is partially accurate at best. Additionally the need for notarisation of documents ceased to apply in 2018. The lists given on individual embassy websites should be a better guide regarding current and local information. 

A few points regarding the helpful hints section:

"Some may allow you to apply for an extension with only 2 weeks remaining on your visa, while others might require a month."

Bangkok, along with some other offices allows up to 45 days. 

"Furthermore, if you are staying longer than 90 consecutive days you will need to report your residence. Technically, the owner of the house, hotel, or rental property where you are staying must file the initial report.
This is known as the TM 30 form. It must be submitted in person by the property owner to the Immigration Office in the province where you reside in Thailand."

The 90 day report has nothing to do with the TM30 report, or for that matter the landlord. It is filed by the visa holder, and may also be sent by post or online depending on the local office.

As for the TM30, this can be done by the tenant (as possessor) without landlord involvement or need of an in-person visit to immigration. It's probably best not to clutter a visa thread with too many details on TM30 procedures, other than to note that a receipt may be required for extensions.

"This receipt is very IMPORTANT. DO NOT LOSE IT. You will need it for re-entering the kingdom or for when you need another Non-Immigrant O-A visa extension."

,A TM30 receipt has never been a requirement for re-entering Thailand.

"If you want to leave Thailand during your stay on a Non-Immigrant visa, you will need to purchase a Re-entry Permit for 1000THB from immigration. You can also buy a multiple re-entry permit that allows you to leave many times Thailand and come back on the same visa or extension for 3,800 baht."

The re-entry permit can be obtained 24-7 at the airport with minimal hassle, no trip to immigration required. 

Edited by lamyai3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for the time and effort you've put into this, really appreciated.

Yes, like any first draft there will be a few little hiccups but a couple of more updates and it will be outstanding reference.

The challenge will be keeping it up to date as Immigration keep moving the goalposts. 

Hope all TV contributors can assist with positive input of updates and changes to take the load off you.

Again thank you so much! 

On 12/27/2019 at 10:44 AM, DennisE said:

Cool ???? thanks for RE-CONFIRMING that, this is great free information! And for the exception of a few minor details that is actually quite accurate. Only a few things that might’ve been incorrect but probably correct at A FEW immigration offices here in Thailand: 

Regarding insurance for NON OA extensions apparently at MAYBE SOME immigration offices according to some unconfirmed reports “7) Purchase a health insurance policy to cover your extension of stay for up to one year from one of the participating companies via the website”. Hmm maybe at SOME immigration offices this might be a requirement for extensions of the NON OA but according to the police order it’s not I know for sure where I live this isn’t an issue. But I’ve been on a NON O based on marriage for 5 years now so I don’t care and I have insurance regardless. But yeah I’ve heard that some immigration offices were doing that. I’ve also heard that they are finally getting on the same page to. 

The information you posted about the 5 year visa is pretty interesting! “1) 3,000,000THB deposited in a Thai bank account at least 3 months prior to your application submission, or proof of a 100,000THB monthly income for the past 12 months”. So wow so I’m actually qualified for the 5 year visa but just barely. I might look into that, it sounds like you don’t have to be rich to qualify but at least pretty well off. I’ve been living here for 5 years on a NON O based on marriage which I’m perfectly satisfied with. 

This statement though I don’t know if that’s true but maybe it is because I always do my extension as early as possible every year at least 30 days early. “Some may allow you to apply for an extension with only 2 weeks remaining on your visa, while others might require a month.”

Actually most immigration offices will not let you apply more than 30 days before it expires but some including my local immigration office will let you apply up to 45 days early. I’m not sure about that statement in fact I’m pretty sure you could apply for an extension even one day before it expires but I never wait till the last minute to do important stuff like that. My rule is do it as early as possible so if any unforeseen circumstances do pop up then I still have plenty of time to deal with it. But regardless it’s always a great idea to encourage people to get it done as soon as they allow and to never wait to the last minute to get it done. 

Thanks for that great information!!! And this post almost lays to rest most of the false rumors and it will definitely help people using this forum for information to cut through most of the false information being posted on ThaiVisa every day. So sincerely thank you so much for taking the time to write this post and reconfirm most of this information!!!! Happy New Year ????????????!!!! Appreciate this. 

Excellent advice about applying early. Anyone have information on what types of income qualify. my accountant says that even though one reports rental income for tax, you can't use it for income to qualify for retiremenet extension,  unless it is professionally managed (otherwise youre classified as working).  Alternatively, a 3 mill thb deposit is not insured insured and - I suspect many of the banks are in pretty dodgy financial shape. Jumping through hoops in Thailand keeps me 74 yrs young ????

4 minutes ago, paddypower said:

Excellent advice about applying early. Anyone have information on what types of income qualify. my accountant says that even though one reports rental income for tax, you can't use it for income to qualify for retiremenet extension,  unless it is professionally managed (otherwise youre classified as working).  Alternatively, a 3 mill thb deposit is not insured insured and - I suspect many of the banks are in pretty dodgy financial shape. Jumping through hoops in Thailand keeps me 74 yrs young ????

Could you share with us the facts for saying that Thai banks are in a pretty dodgy financial shape.

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Could you share with us the facts for saying that Thai banks are in a pretty dodgy financial shape.

???? Agreed. I think many people in the western world, since late 2008, could be forgiven for not having much confidence in the stability of western banks. You have to put your money somewhere. I don’t see a Thai banks any better or worse.

Edited by Martyp

On 12/27/2019 at 1:15 PM, Pattaya46 said:

A rumour largely exaggerated on this forum. Not so many change of rules in the last 10 years if your really look at them. An all officers seems to follow the same rules in my Immigration Office (Jomtien).

try my IO. 95 day old term deposit was rejected, because it included the month of February, ''which is a small month -so your deposit is not 3 months old ..and does not count as 3 months'' . same IO after 12 years, many 'ploblems'.. Never assume anything, in Thailand (incidentally a country and a people I love) .

On 12/27/2019 at 2:13 PM, JimGant said:

Right. Go back and re-read what I said -- I guess I should have darkened the word "retirement," which I'll now do.

"If you mean health insurance, all retirement extensions ...."

I'm well on my way to getting my US marriage certificate blessed by the Amphur, in order to go the marriage extension route the next time. This is being discussed in another thread -- which is easy to overlook, as we have so many interrelated threads on this insurance subject ongoing. Hopefully, as things solidify, we can have a 'go to' thread for the latest nitty gritty. I applaud Isaanlawyers for a step in this direction.

can you clarify? you have a US marrriage Cert., which yu can get certified by the Amphur?   I have a Canadian one, which I was oblidged to have a certified translation, then certified by the Embassy and then re-certified by the Dept of Foreign Affairs....several of my Canuck friends have gone through this rigmarole. aggggg...Pleeeeease stop posting how easy it is!!

4 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Put it this way: I saw a very nice lady buy 2 small packs of drinking water at Big C last week. She paid with a credit card. I'm an investor, so I watch such things.. All the major Thai banks have seen a significant increase in non performing loans. Thai bank credit card debt is at an all tme high. there's been a couple of multi billion baht commercial loans gone sour in 2019. Implimentation of the more stringent internationally accepted reporting rules (called  IFRS 9) have been postponed since 2018, ' to prevent any adverse impact on businesses'. quote an old article https:  Just saying......

Edited by ubonjoe
removed a link to the Bangkok Post. Not allowed by the forum rules.

33 minutes ago, paddypower said:

aggggg...Pleeeeease stop posting how easy it is!!

Easy? Au contraire -- it's a complete pain in the derriere. I used the word "easy" to say how easy it is to overlook threads in this forum discussing the same material.

You must be French Canadian, c'est vrai?

3 hours ago, paddypower said:

Put it this way: I saw a very nice lady buy 2 small packs of drinking water at Big C last week. She paid with a credit card. I'm an investor, so I watch such things.. All the major Thai banks have seen a significant increase in non performing loans. Thai bank credit card debt is at an all tme high. there's been a couple of multi billion baht commercial loans gone sour in 2019. Implimentation of the more stringent internationally accepted reporting rules (called  IFRS 9) have been postponed since 2018, ' to prevent any adverse impact on businesses'. quote an old article   Just saying......

Most credit card limits are covered by matched deposits.

Any debt in the banks is a mere fraction of the loans in the villages that can attract %5 p.m. - or more.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over the state of Thai banks - in any event your substantial deposits will be covered by the BoT guarantee scheme....????

On 12/26/2019 at 3:34 AM, Isaanlawyers said:
A. Non-Immigrant O
... This amount must be maintained for 3 months after your application. However, if you’re combining monthly income and bank deposits, then there is no requirement to have the money in your bank account 60 days before you apply.

I am a little confused about combining monthly income transfers with a bank balance. Does a certain balance need to be maintained in the bank, after the retirement extension is issued?

9 minutes ago, 1cosmo said:

I am a little confused about combining monthly income transfers with a bank balance. Does a certain balance need to be maintained in the bank, after the retirement extension is issued?

There is an error in the posted requirements you quoted. Since March the money in bank for the combination option now has to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

After you apply the money in bank portion must remain in the bank for 3 month. After that most offices are wanting half of the money in bank to remain in the bank until you apply for the next extension.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Since March the money in bank for the combination option now has to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

After you apply the money in bank portion must remain in the bank for 3 month. After that most offices are wanting half of the money in bank to remain in the bank until you apply for the next extension.

Thanks ubonjoe!
My last retirement extension was done in January 2019 (extension expire date was February 18, 2019). I did know about this until now, but I should be OK getting my extension this week since the rule started in March 2019 ?

10 minutes ago, 1cosmo said:

My last retirement extension was done in January 2019 (extension expire date was February 18, 2019). I did know about this until now, but I should be OK getting my extension this week since the rule started in March 2019 ?

Your current extension was done before the new rules went into effect. You were not required to comply with them for this past year.

You will need to meet the new requirements when you apply this time.

You can only apply up to 30 days early or 45 days at some offices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Your current extension was done before the new rules went into effect. You were not required to comply with them for this past year.

I am in Chiang Mai, it has been 45 days in advance for the retirement extension.  
You are so helpful ubonjoe!

ps: would you happen to know where I can print out this announcement from the Thai govt. To show to Thai Immigration, if they question me about it?

Updated 6 January 2020.

I took note of the various comments. I modified the structure to make it easier to read (I think).

Maybe there are still some mistakes, corrections, if so, please write your comments below. This is not for advertising as our office does not really do visas. This is to put all info in one text. But it was done with the help of several people, in good faith, to avoid promoting false information. 

Admins: Please keep the links, it is not for commercial purposes and very valuable. 

================================ 

Guidance for Extension of visa based on retirement in Thailand

Written by Sebastian H. Brousseau in cooperation with the group "Expats in Isaan" on Facebook. Helped by Thaivisa members.

Updated 6 January 2020. (Many rules were changed in 2019 and we invite you to read this article to be familiar with these new rules)) 

For many visitors to Thailand, a short holiday simply isn’t enough to enjoy all the country has to offer. If you wish to stay longer than 3 months, and you can meet the requirements set out by the Royal Thai Immigration, then extending your visa based on retirement may be the answer for you. It doesn’t mean that you have to permanently up and move to Thailand, but extending your visa annually does allow you to stay in the Kingdom for years. Here’s how to do it. You also do not need to be officially retired in your country but you must be 50 years-old or older. 

THE RIGHT VISA

There are several ways to apply for a retirement visa. This text wish to guide you as confusion and even rules can be contradictory from an immigration office to another.

1. Applying for Non-Immigrant O-A (long stay) your home-country

From your home country (or official country of residence), you can apply for a Non-Immigrant O-A visa (long-stay duration) which will enable you to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Again, you need proof that you are 50 years of age or older and meet the criteria for financial eligibility.  

The requirements and conditions for an extension of an OA Visa for reason of retirement or an O – retirement Visa are EXACTLY the same with the sole exception of the new health-insurance requirement.

An OA Visa is valid for a full year (Visa validity date). When you enter Thailand on an OA Visa you will be stamped in for a full year.  And  each time you re-enter Thailand before your Visa validity date expires, you will be stamped in again for a full year (permission to stay).  It is therefore recommended to exit and re-enter Thailand just before your Visa validity expires.  During that second year after your Visa validity has expired, you will need a re-entry permit when exiting and re-entering Thailand in order to keep that permission to stay valid until your current date. And it is only at the end of the permission to stay, that you need to apply for an extension of stay.

What is mentioned below is typically required, but requirements differ dependent on country of application. The following documents are required:

1) Passport with at least 18 months’ validity 

2) 3 copies of the completed visa application form 

3) 3 passport-sized photos (4x6cm) taken within the past 6 months 

4) Personal information form (Curriculum Vitea or resume)

5) Copy of your bank statement showing an amount of 800,000THB or more, OR a certificate proving that you have a monthly income (ex. a pension) of 65,000THB or more, OR certification showing a combination of bank deposit and monthly income that totals not less than 800,000THB. Certain consulates or embassies can ask to notarize your bank account. 

6) Letter of guarantee from your bank (to guarantee bank statement accuracy) 

IMPORTANT: The letter of guarantee for the funds deposited and relevant bank statements must be certified by a commercial bank in Thailand and should be recent (normally few days old only) This is not necessary everywhere, and would actually be difficult when applying from abroad for the OA Visa.

7) Notarized letter from your home country (or official country of residence) stating that you have no criminal record. 

8 )  Medical certificate from a hospital in the country where you submit your application showing that you have no prohibitive diseases. The certificate should be recent (valid for not more than 3 months) and might have to be notarized. A letter or statement signed by your doctor is also acceptable in some countries.

9) Purchase a health insurance policy from one of the participating companies via the website: 

http://longstay.tgia.org/

The policy must cover the length of permitted stay in Thailand with no less than 40,000THB for outpatient treatment, and no less than 400,000THB for inpatient treatment. 

This new regulation went into effect as of October 31, 2019. 

The full order can be viewed in PDF at: 

https://www.immigration.go.th/read?content_id=5d9c3b074d8a8f318362a8aa

This ONLY applies to those who have already been granted a 1-year Non-Immigrant O-A visa and applies to those who have received a visa from an overseas consulate or embassy.  You will be permitted to stay only for the length of the insurance coverage and not exceeding one year. 

Overseas insurance can be accepted, but your insurer needs to provide you with a filled-in and signed Foreign Insurance Certificate will need to complete the form at this link: 

http://longstay.tgia.org/document/overseas_insurance_certificate.pdf

Be sure to check with your Thai Consulate or Thai Embassy for the exact documents that are required before you apply. Each office can have its own rules and rules CHANGE OFTEN. So, verify if the above list meets their requirements and contact your Thai embassy or consulate.  This visa is granted for 1 year.

2. Non-Immigrant O for reason of retirement (if available in your country)

The second option is to apply for a Non-Immigrant ‘O’ visa at a Royal Thai Consulate in a nearby country or your local immigration office. There are different reasons to apply for a non-O visa, like married to a Thai and this will change the financial obligations and documents to submit.

Some consulate or embassy around Thailand includes:

Vientiane or Savannakhet in Laos; Phnom Penh, Cambodia; Penang, Malaysia, etc. For 2000 THB, you receive a 90-day visa which you can later extend to a full year. You’ll need to be over 50 years of age and have bank statements showing an income of over 65,000THB / month or 800,000THB as the total account balance at the time of the application. Certain consulates or embassies can ask to notarize your bank account. 

If you’re in Thailand already and don’t want to exit, you can apply to change your 30-day visa exemption entry or 60-day Tourist Visa at the Immigration Center in Bangkok. This can be done at any local immigration office in Thailand that provides the service.

The same requirements will apply. When applying in Thailand, you also need to prove that the funds on your Thai bank-account originated from abroad >

Be careful, changing a visa is not easy and must be done at least 15 days before your visa expires. 

Verify directly with the embassy or the local immigration office which documents are necessary as it can vary from a place to another. 

3. Extending Your Visa

It is advisable to apply for an extension one month before your visa expires. Again, you will need to check with your local immigration office about when exactly you should apply for an extension. Some offices (e.g. Chiang Wattana – government complex in Bangkok) allow up to 45 days.

However, you can apply up to actual permission to stay expiry date.  It is however recommended to do it a couple of days before that expiry date, in case your application is incomplete and you need to provide additional documents.

To do this, you need to file a TM7 Extension of Stay form just like you would for the Non-Immigrant O visa above. This time, you have to show 800,000THB in a Thai bank account (or in your country when you apply in your own country of residence), 65,000THB/month income, or a combination of the two equaling 800,000THB or more. 

You need to submit: 

1) TM7 application form 

2) Application fee of 1,900 THB 

3) Original passport with signed photocopies of each page (2 copies outside of Bangkok) 

4) 1 passport-sized photo (2 outside Bangkok) 

5) Map to your residence (must be hand-drawn) 

6) Financial proof (as discussed above) 

Furthermore, when showing 800,000THB in a Thai bank account the funds must be deposited 2 months prior to the application filing and remain in the account for 3 months after being granted permission to stay in Thailand. 

After 3 months money can be withdrawn to no less than 400,000THB which must be maintained throughout the duration of permitted stay. 

For a monthly income of 65,000THB, you must obtain a Letter for Proof of Income. Unfortunately, the embassies of the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, and several other countries no longer provide this service. You will need to obtain Proof of Income from your home country. Please consult your embassy as to whether or not they can provide you with a Proof of Income letter. 

There are 3 ways of proving that you meet the financial requirements:

• - Money-in-bank method (800K/400K as described)
  • - Monthly deposits (minimum 65.000 THB every single month with proof that it originated from abroad)
  • - Income statement (with no need to prove money on thai bank)

On top of that there is the combination method (money at bank + incomes)

Additionally, the bank statement should show deposits for the last 12 months. While this is not strictly outlined in a recent Order of Royal Thai Police, the combined 12-month amount is basically the same as the 800,000THB requirement. 

For a combined income and deposit bank statement, the same requirements and criteria for the 800,000THB deposit apply. 

7) Purchase a health insurance policy (Only for Non-OA visa) to cover your extension of stay for up to one year from one of the participating companies via the website: 

http://longstay.tgia.org/

Overseas insurance can be accepted, but you will need to complete the form at this link: 

http://longstay.tgia.org/document/overseas_insurance_certificate.pdf

4. Applying for a retirement visa when already in Thailand

4.1 You can applying for a Non Imm O – retirement Visa in a neighboring country. Non-O visa can be delivered for different reasons and you can extend on retirement

4.2 You can  apply for a Non Imm O – retirement Visa at the local IO of the place where you want to stay if you still have at least 15 days valid for your visa and respect the requirements.

Please look at the document attached called CHANGE OF VISA.

The non-O visa does not have the insurance requirement contrary to the Non-OA visa but most of the other requirements are the same. So if you do not wish to meet the requirement for insurance, you should switch your Non-OA visa for Non-O.

5. Staying in Thailand on a valid Visa or permission to stay

5.1      90-day reporting requirement

With any visa or extension in Thailand, you must report to Immigration every 90 days (unless you leave Thailand before 90 days) and file a TM47 form showing that you’re still in Thailand and at the same address. 

There is no fee for these check-ins, and you’re also given leeway to file the TM47 form within a week before or after the arranged date for your 90-day reporting. However, if you’re late you will be fined. There are several options to report your 90 days notice, and the Thai immigration website described them

5.2       Need for re-entry permits

If you want to leave and plan to re-enter Thailand after the validity date of your visa has expired, or you are on a one entry visa, or while on extension of stay, It is necessary to purchase for those going with an extension to buy a single re-entry permit for the price of 1000 THB or a multiple re-entry permit should cost you 3800 THB. This can be done at any local IO or in the departure halls of the main Thai airports, and it has to be done before exiting Thailand. The single and multiple re-entry permits are done with the TM8 form. When re-entering Thailand after the original Visa validity date (as printed on the Visa sticker) has expired, you need a re-entry permit to keep the permission to stay which that Visa provided you ‘the same deadline’.

5.3       TM30 requirement

Furthermore, if you are staying longer than 90 consecutive days you will need to report your residence. 

Technically, the owner of the house, hotel, or rental property where you are staying must file the initial report.  This is known as the TM 30 form. It must be submitted in person by the property owner to the Immigration Office in the province where you reside in Thailand.  

After the property owner submits the form they will receive a receipt regarding your residence. This receipt must be kept safe with you. You can easily staple it into your passport. 

This receipt is very IMPORTANT. DO NOT LOSE IT. You will need it for re-entering the kingdom or for when you need another Non-Immigrant O-A visa extension. 

Do note that local immigration office do not follow the same rules for TM30. Some will only ask a TM30 when you leave the country while others will request TM30 each time you get out of your province for 24 hours.

In addition to the 1-year Non-Immigrant O-A visa based on retirement, there is a 5-year option as well. 

6.      FIVE YEARS NON-IMMIGRANT O-X VISA

The 5-year Non-Immigrant O-X visa based on retirement has the same requirements as the 1-year O-A visa, but with different financial obligations. 

They are as follows: 

1) 3,000,000THB deposited in a Thai bank account at least 3 months prior to your application submission, or proof of a 100,000THB monthly income for the past 12 months 

2) Health insurance that provides you with $10,000 (roughly 300,000THB) in coverage 

An additional requirement is that you must obtain a re-entry permit after the visa has been approved. 

Likewise, you may need to provide a police clearance/background check and/or a medical certificate as well. 

This is a new class of Non-Immigrant visa and not much is currently well-understood about the entire process. 

Helpful Hints

The most important thing to keep in mind is that each Royal Thai Immigration office can set their own particular policies and guidelines. Some local immigration office allow you to re-apply for an extension up to 45 days before your permission to stay expires, while others might have other rules. Consult your locatl immigration office.

Some offices may require you submit a copy of your passport that has been legalized by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, others may not. So, before you submit any paperwork be sure to get a current list of requirements from your local immigration office. 

Also, remember that foreigners are only allowed to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand for 90 days without exiting or reporting to immigration (except if you have permanent residency). Don’t miss your 90-day reports or you will be fined! 

Employment is prohibited on the retirement visa and retirement extension. 

For over-50s, the retirement visa and extensions based on retirement are great options to help you stay in Thailand long-term and enjoy this beautiful country. As long as you have the finances and keep your paperwork organized and in order, then you can use the extension based on retirement to build a great post-work life in Thailand. 

For policy updates and announcements please check https://www.immigration.go.th/announce

While they are in the Thai language, many often have an English translation in the PDF reader. Look for announcements with the words “non-immigrant” in the heading. 

If you have a lot of money and think this is too complicated, think about an ELITE VISA. 

https://www.thailandelite.com/

NOTE: Immigration officers can always ask additional information at their discretion in order to check the validity of the information provided. 

================================= 

The law is here, by a letter of letter of 26 December 2018, translated by Thaivisa: 

Police order 0029.173/Wor 4950 - titled ‘Supporting evidence of income for visa extension in case of family members and retirement’. It applies on 1st February 2019. 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1076820-confirmed-here-is-exactly-what%E2%80%99s-needed-for-retirement-marriage-extensions-income-method-from-2019/

================================= 

This said, Thai immigration chief softens stance on tourist and expats visa according to this article of December 2019: 

https://thethaiger.com/news/northern-thailand/thai-immigration-chief-soften-stance-on-tourist-and-expat-visas

Change visa requirement.pdf

Edited by Isaanlawyers
  • Thanks 2

On 12/26/2019 at 9:05 AM, Peter Denis said:

A good and laudable initiative.

However, after a first quick read I find many inaccuracies and omissions in the text.

Will review it thoroughly and provide a corrected version in course of coming days.

Happy XMas!

Thanks. I modified some parts based on your suggestions and others. I hope it is better!   ????

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2020 at 3:41 AM, Isaanlawyers said:

Updated 6 January 2020.

I took note of the various comments. I modified the structure to make it easier to read (I think).

Maybe there are still some mistakes, corrections, if so, please write your comments below. This is not for advertising as our office does not really do visas. This is to put all info in one text. But it was done with the help of several people, in good faith, to avoid promoting false information. 

Admins: Please keep the links, it is not for commercial purposes and very valuable. 

================================ 

Guidance for Extension of visa based on retirement in Thailand

Written by Sebastian H. Brousseau in cooperation with the group "Expats in Isaan" on Facebook. Helped by Thaivisa members.

Updated 6 January 2020. (Many rules were changed in 2019 and we invite you to read this article to be familiar with these new rules)) 

For many visitors to Thailand, a short holiday simply isn’t enough to enjoy all the country has to offer. If you wish to stay longer than 3 months, and you can meet the requirements set out by the Royal Thai Immigration, then extending your visa based on retirement may be the answer for you. It doesn’t mean that you have to permanently up and move to Thailand, but extending your visa annually does allow you to stay in the Kingdom for years. Here’s how to do it. You also do not need to be officially retired in your country but you must be 50 years-old or older. 

THE RIGHT VISA

There are several ways to apply for a retirement visa. This text wish to guide you as confusion and even rules can be contradictory from an immigration office to another.

1. Applying for Non-Immigrant O-A (long stay) your home-country

From your home country (or official country of residence), you can apply for a Non-Immigrant O-A visa (long-stay duration) which will enable you to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Again, you need proof that you are 50 years of age or older and meet the criteria for financial eligibility.  

The requirements and conditions for an extension of an OA Visa for reason of retirement or an O – retirement Visa are EXACTLY the same with the sole exception of the new health-insurance requireme

Thanks. Lots of good info

• Sad 1