Hip Replacement options

cornishcarlos

Hi,

Friend of mine, Australian 47yr old, needs to get a hip replacement. He's thinking about getting it done in Thailand, for what reason I'm not sure but has asked me for any info available...

Has anyone had a successful operation or a negative experience that they would like to share ?? Recommended hospital, doctors or ones to avoid etc. Costings and time lines too would be good.

Thanks on his behalf

https://www.bangkokhospital.com/th/fixed-pricing-thai-and-expert-hip-and-knee    Don't know if its up to date but it will give you a idea but I am sure there are many more posters that will have more info. I am sure in the not to distant future I will need to get 2 done so I will be interested in what others have to say.

Regards 

Scotsman   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Unless he living in Thailand and hasn't been an Australian resident for a few years, why would he not want to do in Australia. Yes there is waiting list depending on seriousness but under Medicare would be free in public hospital.

I believe he needs it done asap and it will cost $45k !! Looks like about $15k in Thailand ????

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

India is also an option and less expensive than Thailand.

Wherever it is done? Cost depends on type of procedure among other things.

Do you happen to know how Indian medical care for expats is compared to Thailand? Quality, of course, and price.

As in Thailand everything depends on the doctor you select.

You would not want to be treated in a government hospital in India (issues with qualitu, infection control and extreme crowding). But there are private "international" hospitals om India that cost about what a government hospital does in Thailand.

India is particilarly known for expertise in orthopedic surgery.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

India is also an option and less expensive than Thailand.

Wherever it is done? Cost depends on type of procedure among other things.

I think he likes the thought of Thailand as he's been here before plus hoping for some personal recommendation for hospitals and specific doctors...

https://www.vejthani.com/

I had my right hip done at vejthani bangkok 7 years ago.

5 star treatment start to finish, cost was 500K baht, but I had insurance so wasn't an issue.

no issues with surgery or post op

I was talked to by an Ozzie lady that was checking the hospital out for references.

If I need the other side done I will go back here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

https://www.vejthani.com/

I had my right hip done at vejthani bangkok 7 years ago.

5 star treatment start to finish, cost was 500K baht, but I had insurance so wasn't an issue.

no issues with surgery or post op

I was talked to by an Ozzie lady that was checking the hospital out for references.

If I need the other side done I will go back here.

Can you share the surgeon's name?

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 8:32 AM, GalaxyMan said:

Do you happen to know how Indian medical care for expats is compared to Thailand? Quality, of course, and price.

Four years ago a friend who lived in Pattaya (72 years old at the time) had double knee replacement done very successfully in India for about US$10,000. It was a total package deal: airfare (return), airport pick-up, hotel, private room, 24 hr nursing care.  I don't recall the hospital name but it was in Hyderabad and was a very new and up to date facility and his surgeon was US board certified.

The surgery was successful, without complications and he was back in Pattaya, walking with the assistance of a walker within 2 weeks.  He did have difficulty finding good, professional physical therapy in Pattaya.

His surgeon called him several times a week his first month back in Pattaya to check up on him.

He was walking comfortably within 2 months of the surgery.

Sorry but we are no longer in touch so I can not provide the hospital name

Another friend had hip-replacement done at Srikarin Hospital in Bangkok 3 months ago.  His surgery was successful and he felt he got excellent care and follow up therapy.  We was walking with assistance within 2 days of the surgery.  He required a walker for several weeks but was then able to walk with a cane (actually a folding trekking pole).  I don't know what the final cost was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/26/2019 at 4:06 PM, scotsman said:

https://www.bangkokhospital.com/th/fixed-pricing-thai-and-expert-hip-and-knee    Don't know if its up to date but it will give you a idea but I am sure there are many more posters that will have more info. I am sure in the not to distant future I will need to get 2 done so I will be interested in what others have to say.

Regards 

Scotsman   

And the small print says: "The above price is for Thai people only".