Passport "insert" At Poipet

Hello all,

I did a visa run to Poipet yesterday and thought I'd share the following information with readers of this forum.

I was a bit worried when the Thai immigration officer (on the exit side) stapled the following notice into my passport:

"The aliens entering kingdom with no visa must present ticket or travel documents that have been paid already or confirmed to exit the kingdom and must not exceed 30 days upon the date of entrance to the kingdom."

I didn't have a ticket with me, so I was sweating even more than usual. I wasn't terror-stricken, as a few others in the tour group appeared to be. However, I must admit that after exiting Cambodia and getting in line to re-enter Thailand, I did entertain visions of being stuck in limbo. Anyway, the immigration officer on the entry side gave me 11 days (the remainder of my 90 on visa-exempt status) and sent me on my way. She did mention, though, that next time I would indeed have to show an onward ticket.

I wonder if this apparent crackdown of the ticket rule is isolated to Poipet, or if it's occurring at other borders as well. I also wonder if, even though the notice specified "aliens entering kingdom with no visa", I will have to show a ticket when I try to get a 60-day tourist visa next weekend. I can get another 60-day tourist visa, right???

Yes you should be able to obtain a tourist visa and it will be up to the Consulate what they require to issue it. They could ask to see a ticket but do not believe it has been policy in the area to do so. It is not the same government department involved so I would not assume because Immigration may start asking the the Consulate will. But then again they could.

It looks like that they are starting to enforce all the rules.

We'll hear soon more about this.

Everyone start to accept and figured a way to stay on 90/180days , but to produce a Ticket each time for a Border run , might just be too much .

It looks like that they are starting to enforce all the rules.

We'll hear soon more about this.

Everyone start to accept and figured a way to stay on 90/180days , but to produce a Ticket each time for a Border run , might just be too much .

Get a full fare refundable ticket out of Thailand. Change your booking every time you do a border run. Have the ticket refunded at the end of its validity. Repeat.

Sunny

Hello all,

I did a visa run to Poipet yesterday and thought I'd share the following information with readers of this forum.

I was a bit worried when the Thai immigration officer (on the exit side) stapled the following notice into my passport:

"The aliens entering kingdom with no visa must present ticket or travel documents that have been paid already or confirmed to exit the kingdom and must not exceed 30 days upon the date of entrance to the kingdom."

I didn't have a ticket with me, so I was sweating even more than usual. I wasn't terror-stricken, as a few others in the tour group appeared to be. However, I must admit that after exiting Cambodia and getting in line to re-enter Thailand, I did entertain visions of being stuck in limbo. Anyway, the immigration officer on the entry side gave me 11 days (the remainder of my 90 on visa-exempt status) and sent me on my way. She did mention, though, that next time I would indeed have to show an onward ticket.

I wonder if this apparent crackdown of the ticket rule is isolated to Poipet, or if it's occurring at other borders as well. I also wonder if, even though the notice specified "aliens entering kingdom with no visa", I will have to show a ticket when I try to get a 60-day tourist visa next weekend. I can get another 60-day tourist visa, right???

Any chance you could scan the attachment and post it in this thread.

I was taught that April fools jokes should be played before 1200.

Forgive my scepticism.

The English, although not perfect, is too good for a Thai offical translation.

Hello all,

did you go with jack golf? if you did, i think i overheard the conversation that you had with the guide on the bus...hope everything works out for you...

Since they give 3 stamps of 30 days. Why in the world would you need a flight out after 30 days when you can obviously take the bus?

Typically Asian, they want paperwork that's obviously not going to be authentic.

Like its difficult to get an E ticket or an itinerary (sarcasm)...

They can't check it either from the boarder. They're not going to call the airline and ask if so and so is booked on flight number BullSht to where ever.

har har har

Basically it seems they are trying to kill off the visa exempt stamp except for short stay tourists, which is what is was designed for.

For me it is changing my plans slightly. I am mobilising from KL to site (central Viat Nam) sometime in the next two months. I had planned to fly KUL to BKK on a single and spend a few days in Thailand. Then fly BKK to Da Nang with a return ticket purchased in Thailand. Then return on my R&R using the return half of that ticket. Repeat every 14 weeks using visa exempt stamp. Under these rules I would not be allowed entry from KUL as I have no onward/return ticket unless I bought a KUL-BKK-Da Nang ticket then operated the R&R's from Da Nang end. Alternative is get a proper visa here in KL. Either way is no problem it's just a little bit of extra effort and expense.

It is similar say if I was doing an Asian tour using BKK as my base. I get an open return but book a flight within thirty days of arrival in Thailand. Once I'm in I change the return date to whatever I like. However every time I leave the country I make sure the return date is changed to within 30 days of my my return to Thailand date. As long as I don't exceed the 90 within 180 rule I'm okay.

Alternatively, again, I get a proper visa. No problemo dude, mai mii phan ha. Flash a bit of cash and you da man. :o

All it means is that the days of totally carefree passage into, through and out of Thailand are over and we have to start PLANNING our trips more closely.

The rules are the rules and we can bitch about them and talk about the collapse of the Thai tourism business all we like but if you want to go to Thailand shape up or ship off someplace else.

As for entering Thailand by air and departing by bus, although possible, I wonder how many legit tourists do that, but if you want to play the 90 day visa run game just make sure you have a return air ticket date changed as appropriate.

Basically it seems they are trying to kill off the visa exempt stamp except for short stay tourists, which is what is was designed for.

For me it is changing my plans slightly. I am mobilising from KL to site (central Viat Nam) sometime in the next two months. I had planned to fly KUL to BKK on a single and spend a few days in Thailand. Then fly BKK to Da Nang with a return ticket purchased in Thailand. Then return on my R&R using the return half of that ticket. Repeat every 14 weeks using visa exempt stamp. Under these rules I would not be allowed entry from KUL as I have no onward/return ticket unless I bought a KUL-BKK-Da Nang ticket then operated the R&R's from Da Nang end. Alternative is get a proper visa here in KL. Either way is no problem it's just a little bit of extra effort and expense.

It is similar say if I was doing an Asian tour using BKK as my base. I get an open return but book a flight within thirty days of arrival in Thailand. Once I'm in I change the return date to whatever I like. However every time I leave the country I make sure the return date is changed to within 30 days of my my return to Thailand date. As long as I don't exceed the 90 within 180 rule I'm okay.

Alternatively, again, I get a proper visa. No problemo dude, mai mii phan ha. Flash a bit of cash and you da man. :o

All it means is that the days of totally carefree passage into, through and out of Thailand are over and we have to start PLANNING our trips more closely.

The rules are the rules and we can bitch about them and talk about the collapse of the Thai tourism business all we like but if you want to go to Thailand shape up or ship off someplace else.

As for entering Thailand by air and departing by bus, although possible, I wonder how many legit tourists do that, but if you want to play the 90 day visa run game just make sure you have a return air ticket date changed as appropriate.

Hello all,

I was refused exit at Poipet :o

Hello all,

Any chance you could scan the attachment and post it in this thread.

I was taught that April fools jokes should be played before 1200.

Forgive my scepticism.

The English, although not perfect, is too good for a Thai offical translation.

see http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=114392

word for word