Preparing for the driving licence exam

Brunolem

This is not for me, but for my son who will soon reach the age for the driving licence exam. 

There are (were?) a few websites offering the 50 questions test as if you were in the exam room (same presentation, questions...), but I can't get my hands on them... 

Links to such websites would be much appreciated. 

The test was easy enough, my problem was the 4 or so desks where you sit to take the test; that didn't have workable keys. Something the monitor knew about, but had no interest in correcting or informing the poor saps that sat there, I being one of them. 

19 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

My Thai wife passed the driving test with ease but failed the written question test twice.  This was after going through a Thai driving school twice. 

I put the PDF files on a tablet and had her study them and she passed with ease the third time.  PDF files in English and Thai are available on this link:

Driving-In-Thailand - Tougher tests for the Thai driving license

The road signs are found in this link:

Road signs in Thailand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The ability tests are described on this link:

Driving-In-Thailand - Ability Tests

Have your son practice the depth of field test and the reaction time test.  They usually give you a second chance but it is best to get it right the first time.

The machines I used in Bangkok for the exam were so old that they were practically worn out.  Press a button once and the key "bounced" as though you pressed it several time.  The result was the wrong answer was selected.  The machines elsewhere are probably just as old and worn out.

Make sure your son goes back through the exam a couple of times to check and make sure the answer registered is the one he selected.

My wife went to a driving school, 20 hrs overall. If you fail any part you can just repeat it over and over until you pass, They also take them out on a real road with duel control car. check your area for schools. Chanthaburi 5500 baht car (1000 baht M/C.) money well spent. They also give them books etc to read and study at home before the day of the test.

41 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

My wife went to a driving school, 20 hrs overall. If you fail any part you can just repeat it over and over until you pass, They also take them out on a real road with duel control car. check your area for schools. Chanthaburi 5500 baht car (1000 baht M/C.) money well spent. They also give them books etc to read and study at home before the day of the test.

My son goes for the motorbike licence, and I have yet to see a school for this one.

In my area, Sisaket-Ubon, I have never seen a car driving school...probably because it wouldn't have any customer...

20 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

My Thai wife passed the driving test with ease but failed the written question test twice.  This was after going through a Thai driving school twice. 

I put the PDF files on a tablet and had her study them and she passed with ease the third time.  PDF files in English and Thai are available on this link:

Driving-In-Thailand - Tougher tests for the Thai driving license

The road signs are found in this link:

Road signs in Thailand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The ability tests are described on this link:

Driving-In-Thailand - Ability Tests

Have your son practice the depth of field test and the reaction time test.  They usually give you a second chance but it is best to get it right the first time.

The machines I used in Bangkok for the exam were so old that they were practically worn out.  Press a button once and the key "bounced" as though you pressed it several time.  The result was the wrong answer was selected.  The machines elsewhere are probably just as old and worn out.

Make sure your son goes back through the exam a couple of times to check and make sure the answer registered is the one he selected.

Thanks...

Unfortunately the first link doesn't enable you to actually di the test, like the one provided with the first poster.

It is more efficient to do the test over and over, until you get all the answers good, rather than trying to memorize them...

Anyway, I will certainly ask my son to study these tests also...never too much...

our daughter had never driven a car or rode a bike, she got her licence in 4 days and the questions were given to her and answered all within a hour or so on the last morning(she had no idea what the road rules were beforehand), no studying and multiple choice on a computer, needless to say I refuse to let her drive out new car

4 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Thanks...

Unfortunately the first link doesn't enable you to actually di the test, like the one provided with the first poster.

It is more efficient to do the test over and over, until you get all the answers good, rather than trying to memorize them...

Anyway, I will certainly ask my son to study these tests also...never too much...

Use Firefox.  The PDF file will be displayed and you will be offered icons for downloading the file.

With Opera it is a bit more inefficient but you can manage to download the PDF files.  Pretty sure you can do it with Chrome too.

I never touch Microsoft's browser and don't use Apple so you are on your own with them.

4 hours ago, seajae said:

our daughter had never driven a car or rode a bike, she got her licence in 4 days and the questions were given to her and answered all within a hour or so on the last morning(she had no idea what the road rules were beforehand), no studying and multiple choice on a computer, needless to say I refuse to let her drive out new car

The practical exam worries me much more than the theoretical one.

Everyone knows that one has to stop at a red line, or not cross a yellow line...which doesn't mean that one respects the rules...

But how one drives, or rides, is far more important...and having the practical exam set on a parking, without ever engaging second, or third, gear, is ridiculous, and certainly not proof that one can drive...

Eons ago, I had to drive in real city traffic, and once the guy sitting next to me was convinced that I had good control of the car, he took me, and all the able candidates, on a highway, where we had to reach 100 kph in real traffic conditions...and only then did we get our licence.

10 minutes ago, HarrySeaman said:

Use Firefox.  The PDF file will be displayed and you will be offered icons for downloading the file.

With Opera it is a bit more inefficient but you can manage to download the PDF files.  Pretty sure you can do it with Chrome too.

I never touch Microsoft's browser and don't use Apple so you are on your own with them.

I am on android actually...

19 hours ago, Brunolem said:

My son goes for the motorbike licence, and I have yet to see a school for this one.

In my area, Sisaket-Ubon, I have never seen a car driving school...probably because it wouldn't have any customer...

I attended a 3 day course in Pattaya, and it was filled with all Thais, I was the lone foreigner. First day was all computer testing, it's all memorization of the correct answer. Test pool has 600 questions. I've been riding MC for years but I needed help with questions. Price was 1000 bht, well worth it in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I attended a 3 day course in Pattaya, and it was filled with all Thais, I was the lone foreigner. First day was all computer testing, it's all memorization of the correct answer. Test pool has 600 questions. I've been riding MC for years but I needed help with questions. Price was 1000 bht, well worth it in my opinion.

Private course or it actually took 3 days at the trans dept to get the licence ?

7 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Private course or it actually took 3 days at the trans dept to get the licence ?

After 3 days at the school I was given needed paperwork to take to land office where they issued license. You can laugh if you want but riding the plank at a very low speed was difficult for me so the school was a good place to practice.

Edited by EVENKEEL

On 12/29/2019 at 10:27 PM, Morty T said:

The test was easy enough, my problem was the 4 or so desks where you sit to take the test; that didn't have workable keys. Something the monitor knew about, but had no interest in correcting or informing the poor saps that sat there, I being one of them. 

Was it a samsung monitor?

45 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

After 3 days at the school I was given needed paperwork to take to land office where they issued license. You can laugh if you want but riding the plank at a very low speed was difficult for me so the school was a good place to practice.

Not laughing at all, I intend to get my bike licence soon so was curious.

20 hours ago, seajae said:

Hence the carnage on the roads everyday

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Not laughing at all, I intend to get my bike licence soon so was curious.

Expect everything, in both theory and practice, except usual day to day road conditions...

An exam on an empty parking lot...seriously?

In fact, the exam would be great if it was to grant a licence for mountain biking, where almost everything is done in first gear...

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

Expect everything, in both theory and practice, except usual day to day road conditions...

An exam on an empty parking lot...seriously?

In fact, the exam would be great if it was to grant a licence for mountain biking, where almost everything is done in first gear...

Having both driven a car and ridden a scooter full time here for 13 years Iam well versed in day to day road conditions.

I do have a car licence however as Iam planning to buy a big bike (XSR900) and riding out further than my local 7/11 I feel I should get a licence sorted.

MotoGP just gone I had to drive to Burriram whilst my mates all road their bikes, next years I want to ride along with them.

When I got my car licence I had to do the full test (theory and practical) so have some clue as to what to expect however I assume (maybe incorrectly) it has be toughened up a bit since 2006.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 3:41 AM, Brunolem said:

There's at least one in Ubon Ratchathani. Can be found on Facebook: Bungwaidrivingschool

On 12/31/2019 at 6:46 AM, EVENKEEL said:

Do you have a business card from this school to post?

I’ve heard you need a medical cert., copies of passport, TM6, and visa expiration date.  And also an address verification letter.  Is it possible the TM30 would be accepted by DLT?  Last thing I want to do is visit CW again, or pay big bucks at my country’s embassy for the letter?  Has anyone tried to use a TM30?  Grasping at straws here but I thought it was worth it to ask. 

Edited by Ramen087