Bar opening times this week in Hua Hin

AhFarangJa

Hi All,

Just been informed by the Wife that the police have called and said that from today until the second January all bars in Hua Hin are not allowed to open until 5 p.m. and must close at 2 a.m.

Failure to comply will result in a 3,000 Baht fine.

Happy New Year, and stay safe.

Ah! good and the rest of the year, how is it, according to the police officer's wife? What hours ????
It has been 3 or 4 years that bars or restaurants have only opened from 5 p.m. until 2 a.m. around N ° 94, whether there is a party or not, holidays or not. .
And it's far from silent.
Happy New Year. 

2 minutes ago, sirocco said:

Ah! good and the rest of the year, how is it, according to the police officer's wife? What hours ????
It has been 3 or 4 years that bars or restaurants have only opened from 5 p.m. until 2 a.m. around N ° 94, whether there is a party or not, holidays or not. .
And it's far from silent.
Happy New Year. 

Totally, totally untrue Sir. 

We open every day at 2 p.m. ( Except Mondays when we are closed ). We have a happy hour from 2 to 6 pm. Closing time is 1 a.m. All around soi 94, soi 88, Bintabaht is different times, but I never go down there. 

For the opening, I do not dispute, some open at 3 p.m. others at 5 p.m., others at 10 p.m. and others in the morning.
On the other hand, there are many bars and restaurants that extend until 2 AM. No, I can't give you names, but thanks to them, I enjoy their screaming music.
So, some are in violation, unless their lease stipulates an authorization to open until 2am.

1 hour ago, sirocco said:

For the opening, I do not dispute, some open at 3 p.m. others at 5 p.m., others at 10 p.m. and others in the morning.
On the other hand, there are many bars and restaurants that extend until 2 AM. No, I can't give you names, but thanks to them, I enjoy their screaming music.
So, some are in violation, unless their lease stipulates an authorization to open until 2am.

Correct Sir, When you mention lease I assume you are alluding to a certain payment to a certain person in a uniform....:whistling:

Up here in the Surin area . Around 3 00 pm a few days ago some Thai guys entered a farangs friends shop and asked for beer and were served . Outside of the shop were customers drinking beer . The Thai guys then revealed their identity as government officers ( plain clothes ) . They said alcohol cannot be served until after 5 00 pm  

Result 3000 baht fine . Owner complained to the police who said there is nothing they could do about it as it was beyond their control despite the fact that she pays them for the VIP service . 

The government officers then moved to another premises , a local bar / restaurant and carried out the same action and have been back to check every day since . This is a local bar used throughout the day by mostly farangs .                  Have to ask why is there no consistency as bars in the big tourist areas are open all day and in our town the big stores abide by the selling alcohol times but a local Thai shop sells it all day in large volumes .   All very confusing or am I being naive  ?

3 hours ago, superal said:

Up here in the Surin area . Around 3 00 pm a few days ago some Thai guys entered a farangs friends shop and asked for beer and were served . Outside of the shop were customers drinking beer . The Thai guys then revealed their identity as government officers ( plain clothes ) . They said alcohol cannot be served until after 5 00 pm  

Result 3000 baht fine . Owner complained to the police who said there is nothing they could do about it as it was beyond their control despite the fact that she pays them for the VIP service . 

The government officers then moved to another premises , a local bar / restaurant and carried out the same action and have been back to check every day since . This is a local bar used throughout the day by mostly farangs .                  Have to ask why is there no consistency as bars in the big tourist areas are open all day and in our town the big stores abide by the selling alcohol times but a local Thai shop sells it all day in large volumes .   All very confusing or am I being naive  ?

i understand your confusion, and sometimes feel the same. It seems that, as with a lot of other things here, there is no consistency with regards the law. It seems to depend on each district police chief within his little fiefdom. We too pay a monthly insurance premium to a certain group and all I can think of is that it is a tax to allow us to serve alcohol between two and three. I know the Thai law states no alcohol between these times, though we open at two p.m. A few years ago I was in Chiang Mai and at two o'clock the bar lady hid my drink behind a menu sitting on the bar, and told me no selling allowed between 2 and 5. Also we can get a beer at any time in our local mom and pop shops. Seems like your friend was just an unfortunate victim of a money making scam. Did they get a receipt, because I would surely demand one.

Receipt yes . Was it a coincidence that both hits in my town had farang connections ?  Such an archaic law and what does it achieve ? Just another means of collecting money by using contentious and inconsistent laws .  In town is a prominent open sided restaurant serving beer all day and opposite a shop selling only alcohol open all day . Plus of course all the Mama Papa  shops .

I fail to understand why the law applies to some but not others and in a democratic country would / could / should be challenged but TIT and nothing is on a level playing field nor is logic used .

1 hour ago, superal said:

Receipt yes . Was it a coincidence that both hits in my town had farang connections ?  Such an archaic law and what does it achieve ? Just another means of collecting money by using contentious and inconsistent laws .  In town is a prominent open sided restaurant serving beer all day and opposite a shop selling only alcohol open all day . Plus of course all the Mama Papa  shops .

I fail to understand why the law applies to some but not others and in a democratic country would / could / should be challenged but TIT and nothing is on a level playing field nor is logic used .

Quit possible a racist type of hit if both hits were on Farang only. Unfortunately, there is not a lot one can do. as you say, it would be different in a democratic country, which we are certainly not !!

As to the laws, yes, they are pathetic. When we go to Surin from Hua Hin there is a petrol station, somewhere near Korat. The 7/11 is not allowed to sell alcohol as it is in a filling station, however, pull away from there, go about thirty metres, and there is a mom pop shop selling beer all day !!!. .........:crazy:

Archived