Dogs Of Chaingmai’s Rama Ix Park Slated To Be Killed A.s.a.p. – Thailand

NolaK

Hi folks,

I received the letter below form Ally of Care for Dogs in Chiangmai, Thailand. She will post more soon, but at the moment has her hands full. I am spreading the word about this emergency as best I can. I’m here in the USA volunteering at Best Friends, the World’s largest sanctuary for companion animals, but I have worked with the dogs in Rama IX. They are a special group and this was there home for years. Any ideas are welcome.

Currently, I am writing up the story and distributing it here in the USA. I will update Thai Visa as I hear news.

Please spread the word. Let officials at every level know the story is out and being published internationally. Tell them how you feel. Please copy and paste this as you can. Make calls. This is an immediate need situation and your help is greatly appreciated.

You might also explain to them that the dogs of Rama IX are filing and ecological niche or they would not be able to live there. Why not spayed and neuter, with rescuers help, the current population instead of opening the park up for more dogs, un-altered and reproducing - to more in?

Sincerely,

Nola Kelsey

"Hi & I am sorry to worry you.

Today (Sunday) Winifred called me to say that a soldier went to our old veterinarian asking for tranquilizers to help him sedate dogs in Rama IX area as there had been an order on high made to kill all dogs from the area. After rallying round lots of support we all gathered at the park to hear from Winifred about this young soldier who was scared for his career and wanted to keep this quiet. I was all for putting 2 feet in & Karin had Bangkok SDR on alert in case this was Thai wide.

We ended up at Warawee Coffee to talk sensibly about it, my car stacked with 8 cages and 4 cars empty & waiting.

It seems that the Army wants to get rid of all dogs in the race course and golf coarse areas. I say just stop feeding them, Karin says lets get them sterilized & cared for and Winifred says why can’t we take them to the shelter…….. There are over 20 apparently! Add, Care for Dogs is quite full, as always

Now we sit & wait for 20:00 for this guy to call & say what he can & how we might help!! I have my face mask out & night vision goggles ready. All we need now is for someone to be bold and say go! Let’s rescue these endangered dogs!

I will keep you posted and of course this will inevitably become blogged !

Ally"

post-34748-1175436280_thumb.jpg

erm, where is rama 9 park in chiang mai.

Head north out of town on either the Irrigation Canal Road (Highway 121) or Chotana Road (Highway 107). Rama IX Park is between the two roads. You'll see signs for the park.

erm, where is rama 9 park in chiang mai. Is it the one opposite the crazy hospital (my wife's words, not mine!)

I think the Nong Buak Hat park is the one across the moat from the "crazy hospital".

Where is this Rama IX?

sounds like they are trying to be humane about it using tranquilizers.

My impression is that the Thai are fairly kind to little critters compared to Viets, Chinese, Koreans etc.

> Let officials at every level know the story is out and being published

> internationally. Tell them how you feel.

I feel overjoyed at the prospect of visiting Rama 9 park again, IF they're serious in removing dangerous dogs and hopefully do some work on it generally. Still, this is Thailand, I believe it when I see it.

BTW, Rama 9 park is not the one opposite the Suan Prung Psychological Health Facility, that one is called Suan Buak Had. Rama 9 is on the Mae Rim road, left hand side.

Also, if we tell the government here about how we love dogs, would you mind returning the favour and tell your government to love and respect humanity? Thanks.

Come on over and count all the soi dogs you'll see in 24 hours, you'd probably quit after 2 or 3 hours.

It's not an emergency but a <deleted>' plague. :o

Why don't you spend that energy on starving children?

WHy don't you save childern. We'll start somewhere on improving the dogs situation and neither of us will dispell negative enrgy on anyone trying to make the world a better place. If it is not for you, I understond. Move on and do ggod of your own.

Come on over and count all the soi dogs you'll see in 24 hours, you'd probably quit after 2 or 3 hours.

It's not an emergency but a <deleted>' plague. :o

Why don't you spend that energy on starving children?

WHy don't you save childern. We'll start somewhere on improving the dogs situation and neither of us will dispell negative enrgy on anyone trying to make the world a better place. If it is not for you, I understond. Move on and do ggod of your own.

> Let officials at every level know the story is out and being published

> internationally. Tell them how you feel.

I feel overjoyed at the prospect of visiting Rama 9 park again, IF they're serious in removing dangerous dogs and hopefully do some work on it generally. Still, this is Thailand, I believe it when I see it.

BTW, Rama 9 park is not the one opposite the Suan Prung Psychological Health Facility, that one is called Suan Buak Had. Rama 9 is on the Mae Rim road, left hand side.

Also, if we tell the government here about how we love dogs, would you mind returning the favour and tell your government to love and respect humanity? Thanks.

Hey Chanchao. The US govt is still "your" govt too because the Thai will never let you be a citizen unless you fork out tens of millions of baht.

Here is the story as I have now written it up. If anyone would like to pass it along feel free. If animal rescue is not you thing fine. Please go help the world in your own way. Only buy planting a seed can we grow to address larger problems. Shame on anyone who does nothing in life but sit behind a computer and bash those who are trying to help in there own unique way. Some of the posts are sad reflections on individuals.

Peace and caring!

Nola

The world is watching. The Thai Arm is on the move again. Is it another coup? Are those frisky terrorist from the South rising up once more? No! What could it be then? Well, Thai Army resources are being channeled to kill twenty plus dogs lazing in a sunny park. Rama IX Park in Chiangmai, Thailand is about to be the scene of canine carnage in a slaughter by the mighty Thai Army. Wouldn’t Buddha be proud?

Culture Background

In Thailand abandoned and stray dogs often live in what we in the Europe and the States would be consider a semi-feral existence. They find there own balance and territories in parks, temples or on beaches. Many are befriended and fed by local vendors, monks and residence. True, not all live good lives. Still rescue groups are now cropping up to spayed, neuter, vaccinate, provide medical attention and re-release much like feline TNR programs.

Rescuers also focus on finding forever-homes for puppies and socially acclimated dogs. What I call a “One Temple at a Time” approach allows many animals to live healthier, happy lives (different from are standards, of course), keeps shelter form being even fuller and stops unaltered animals from recouping niches vacated by simply slaughtering current resident population. Rama IX animals are being invited into this special fold by Care for Dogs.

A Plan Discovered

The rumors of this government initiated, and condoned plot, spread like the recent wildfires of Thailand’s north. Rescuers from the area were alerted. According to a volunteer at Care for Dogs in Northern Thailand, “a soldier went to our old veterinarian asking for tranquilizers to help him sedate dogs in the Rama IX as there had been an order from high command made to kill all dogs in the area.”

It seems that the Army wants to get rid of all dogs around the race track and golf coarse. I know were all happy to realize the golfers will not be bothered. They have a nation’s army supporting their birdies by killing puppies. Officers order soldiers to just put a hole in one.

The young soldier charged with this slaughter is scared for his career. He wants to keep things quiet. Still the word got out. After rallying support, animal lovers and Care for Dogs volunteers all gathered at the park to hear from Winifred, the brave lady who first caught wind of the conspiracy. Rescuers from Care for Dogs offered to sterilize the parks population. Isn’t it amazing that the people in government who ordered this sick bidding are not the ones to fear for their careers?

The Waiting Game

As of this evening animal lovers of Chiangmai wait on pins and needles to find out if their voices have been heard. Cages and tools loaded in cars indicate a steady determination. But, can rescues stand off an Army? Please let common since prevail among Thailand officials. Spayed, Neuter Vaccinate and release these dogs back into there home or allow time for them to be moved. For many they are a charming part of a visit to Rama IX.

Meantime animal lovers spread the word. Thai officials need to know the world is watching.

Watch for update in this story at: http://network.bestfriends.org/Blogs/Detail.aspx?b=1101 and http://network.bestfriends.org/Blogs/Detail.aspx?b=1099

post-34748-1175442137_thumb.jpg