Shade trees

JAFO

I have been looking at numerous trees to offer some shade around our kitchen area. Anybody have any recommendations based on their experiences? I do not mind leave clean up but want it to be a full tree. Any pictures would be a big help. I hope to buy a "mature" tree and have it planted once I find the one that will work out.

Thanks

The missus has a few mulberry trees growing on our land. When grown closely together, they do provide good shade AND delicious mulberries too! She has planted the trees in two parallel rows and tied the tops of the trees together to form a sort of arch. Lovely siting under that on a scorching day! 

Alternatively, I absolutely love this tree "Ivory Coast Almond" (just one of it's many common names). It grows quite rapidly and provides great shelter. If you constantly trim the top of the plant, it'll grow outwards more. The only problem I see with this tree is, the roots could cause some structural damage to foundations in the future (or so I've been told by Mrs Djayz). 

There was a thread running about this topic so here's the link. There might be some useful info there for you. 

Hi

The "Flame tree" grows pretty quick, reckon ours is 4 mtrs in 3 years, be aware when we purchased the tree it was skinny but tall and in a plastic bucket, after parting with the money the guy tilted the pot over and cut the tap root that had grown through and into sand. It knocked the tree back for around a year. Having said that the Mango tree is always an option.

• Like 1

If you have room for several rows palm trees are the answer.  All you need to get the coconuts is a long bamboo stick with a hook on the end......or a monkey.   If you go the monkey route you will need to plant some Bananas,  Lumyai,  Custard apple and Nok to feed it.  You can thank me later! 

• Haha 1