New Year street celebrations in Chiang Mai

flashlight92

What's going on in the street in Chiang Mai for New Year ? I went to Chiang Mai Tourist Info near Nawarat Bridge but they've been closed since 28th December and won't reopen until 2nd January.

Are they going to close Thapae Rd to have a Walking Street like some years or is it just at Thapae Gate ? I've seen posters for music in the evening at 3 Kings Monument for 30th and 31 st December but that's it.

I expect it's the Ping river for releasing Chinese lanterns or have they been banned ?

Thanks.

Edited by flashlight92

There should be no reason for any lack of activities due to a so-called crackdown by authorities because for the night of December 31st bars can stay open as long as they want to! But this is for one night only, after that we must all go home and be tucked up in bed by midnight, like all good boys and girls.

16 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Well....they have killed songran and they have killed Loy Kratong so why not make it a clean sweep and kill New Years Eve.

Just been past Thapae Gate, normally the focus of the celebrations, stage, dancing girls, rock bands and I do rememeber all the road filled with food stalls...a great spectacle in fairness.

So its monday evening and no activity there, no stage being built so unless they are going to work thro tonight FORGET IT

Someone somewhere has made the decision to close chiang mai down.

Who? and Why?

too much fun, we know who

16 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Well....they have killed songran and they have killed Loy Kratong

Please explain.  This last year I got very wet for nearly a week and I sure remember like a zillion people celebrating Loi Kratong this year in CM.

LK2019CM.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, just bob said:

I'd heard there is a private fireworks ban this year.  Will Nimman One be doing theirs off the clock tower?

Well, come to my village, people are letting off fireworks already from 8 am this morning LOL.  There are always banning this and that, or having a crackdown, or advising people no to do things, but outside the city no one takes a blind bit of notice.  

6 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

Please explain.  This last year I got very wet for nearly a week and I sure remember like a zillion people celebrating Loi Kratong this year in CM.

LK2019CM.jpg

Yes of course you got wet, but were you here in the previous 10 songrans where all 3 lanes around the moat were at a crawling standstill, when huay kaew road was closed to traffic and there were rock bands playing on 3 stages. The road from the airport again chokka with carnival atmosphere.

Then it started, no pipe blasters, one lane of traffic access opened, publicity about polluted moat water, .....it just became too sensible and taking away the fun.

Now its a shadow of its former self and no doubt in April next everyone is, well cant be bothered.

Wouldnt surprise me if the farangs are the reasons all these event are dying out

I hear the Plook plooks going off occasionally all day today in my neighborhood of Chiang Rai.

Fireworks can cause air pollution, big time.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-42080-6

Was in Amsterdam for NYE, but luckily I got wasted on weed and was in bed by 8pm.  My girlfriend was furious. ????

The next day the whole place stunk like sulphur.

• Haha 1

I didn't see any police at all. I was there until 05:00 when the last of the bars closed.  There was nearly a stampede down Loi Kroh of mostly Chinese when everyone was getting bombarded with fireworks.   

• Haha 1