Chiang Mai Air Quality and Pollution

Cheesekraft

5 minutes ago, PowerKat said:

The app wants complete access to your phone contacts, location, etc. Plus they want your phone number or Facebook account to register. Very intrusive app for some thing that only controls an air purifier so I deleted it right away. You should check your background apps and Id bet it's always open in the background.

That does offend but I'll check it out. I have an iPhone and it has only limited access to background processes, about 7 minutes I think.

China invented their own AQI number system to make them appear 3x better.

AirVisual phone app:

Settings

AQI Index

Lokk at AQI somewhere, then switch to Chinese.

~1/3 the US number.

Edited by JimmyJ

34 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

China invented their own AQI number system to make them appear 3x better.

But the device I showed in the picture (Xiomi) is showing PM 2.5 levels so that shouldn't matter right? I haven't used the app yet though so maybe that's where the Chinese AQI is used.

More confusion. According to the AQI calculator 150 is a 55 PM 2.5 and that number is agreeing with my meter (I saw it get to 85 PM 2.5 which must be well into 200 AQI). What is the "PM 2.5 AQI" displayed below? I understand there to be an aggregate AQI number but there's also a PM 2.5 AQI? That doesn't make any sense to me. I'm starting to think the only number I should be looking at is the PM 2.5 directly from the monitor.

942134710_ScreenShot2020-02-27at8_33_42PM.png.f6a3c1a88ab67924549f3916a1ddc645.png

1 hour ago, PowerKat said:

The app wants complete access to your phone contacts, location, etc. Plus they want your phone number or Facebook account to register. Very intrusive app for some thing that only controls an air purifier so I deleted it right away. You should check your background apps and Id bet it's always open in the background.

I registered with my email address.  didn't see anything about phone contacts, though my SIM card was in another phone at the time.  Without the app, you are limited to using auto mode, which doesn't work to my satisfaction, or full on noisy fan mode.  Or buy another brand of air purifier.  Location?  I told them I'm in China.  I thought they don't have facebook in China.

Edited by Yorkshire Tea

9 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

I registered with my email address.  didn't see anything about phone contacts, though my SIM card was in another phone at the time.  Without the app, you are limited to using auto mode, which doesn't work to my satisfaction, or full on noisy fan mode.  Or buy another brand of air purifier.  Location?  I told them I'm in China.  I thought they don't have facebook in China.

On Android it wants access to location, storage and camera. Plus registeration via phone number, Facebook or email. I'm probably just being overly paranoid by not wanting such an app on my phone but xiaomi is a brand based in a country where snooping is a favorite past time of the regime. Also, I find the droning of fans to be a little therapeutic. 

1 hour ago, Forza2002 said:

Wonderful day.... I hope the tourists are enjoying all the sights. Especially the iconic Doi Suthep, the vista from the view point will be something you share share with all your friends..image.png.336750c4bee853ec050ec737cf5da213.png

Basically Chiang Mai is the worlds number 1 as South Asia is in a league of their own when it comes to consistently bad air pollution. CM is just 1 AQI number off top spot as I type and if it wasn't for the government AQI stations consistently reporting lower numbers compared to all other stations surrounding it then it'd easily be number 1.

Hey everyone.  I am enjoying my retirement, my kids love playing outside, and we spend about 100,000 baht a month for such a relaxing atmosphere.  I hope everyone continues to spend their money and take nice walks in the morning, afternoon, and night.  I want to care about my health and happiness, but the toxic air actually makes it more difficult to concentrate.  I'm so glad everyone voted CM #1.   Now I see why.

555.  I haven't been to CM since January, 2019.  Since I have a working brain, I'm not dumb enough to be there now.  Was I there for the smoke in 2018?  Nope.   2017?  Nope.  Could you imagine someone experiencing the smoke and then staying for another smoky season???   OMG.   Only experienced it ONCE.  Anyhow...Have fun everyone!!!!  

Edited by Ventenio

17 hours ago, genericptr said:

Here's a picture. You're right, I don't see any units just a number of "50" but given it's in the green zone I think this is AQI.

Skype_Picture_2020_02_27T11_35_33_986Z.jpeg

Not sure you read any notice on this product(see attachment) but yes it is PM2.5, And give it minimum 20cm free on every side ... having a curtain on the back is bad.

Cheers

air-purifier-EN.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SoilSpoil said:

You are very proud of yourself calling other people dumb, aren't you? Not everyone has a choice to just move away from the north. People have jobs, businesses, mortgages, kids in schools and unis, etc. Your words clearly demonstrate an overrated feeling of self esteem and total lack of empathy for others. Nice guy you are

I'm talking about farangs, of course.  What farang would get a business in a place with toxic air all year?  what farang would get a mortgage or bring kids to toxic air?  or put their kids in school?

this is a farang website, of course I'm talking about farangs.  Yes, farangs in CM are dumb.  really dumb.  the dumbest.  LOL

Yes, I have a total lack of empathy for farangs who are too weak to leave.  Yes, I'm smarter than every single farang who stays in CM.  100%.  I'm proud of that.  

you think every post on this site is directed at locals if not specified? LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got the Xiomi app installed and was indeed able to adjust the fan, which was well worth it due to the noise levels. At first I tried to enter my location as Thailand (just to make sure) but as reported the app did not connect to the device properly until I chose China as my country (and now getting Chinese ads as an added bonus). Stupid restriction to impose on foreign customers, no idea why they did this.

I'm able to run the fan at about 75% speed which is a bearable level of noise but only gets the PM 2.5 down to about 45-50.

26 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

I'm talking about farangs, of course.  What farang would get a business in a place with toxic air all year?  what farang would get a mortgage or bring kids to toxic air?  or put their kids in school?

this is a farang website, of course I'm talking about farangs.  Yes, farangs in CM are dumb.  really dumb.  the dumbest.  LOL

Yes, I have a total lack of empathy for farangs who are too weak to leave.  Yes, I'm smarter than every single farang who stays in CM.  100%.  I'm proud of that.  

you think every post on this site is directed at locals if not specified? LOL

Yet you still live in Thailand? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, genericptr said:

I got the Xiomi app installed and was indeed able to adjust the fan, which was well worth it due to the noise levels. At first I tried to enter my location as Thailand (just to make sure) but as reported the app did not connect to the device properly until I chose China as my country (and now getting Chinese ads as an added bonus). Stupid restriction to impose on foreign customers, no idea why they did this.

I'm able to run the fan at about 75% speed which is a bearable level of noise but only gets the PM 2.5 down to about 45-50.

Somethings not quite right.

Which model do you have & how big is your room?  

12 hours ago, PowerKat said:

On Android it wants access to location, storage and camera. Plus registeration via phone number, Facebook or email. I'm probably just being overly paranoid by not wanting such an app on my phone but xiaomi is a brand based in a country where snooping is a favorite past time of the regime. Also, I find the droning of fans to be a little therapeutic. 

A remote control probably wouldn't have added too much to the price.  I guess they just think they're being hi-tech in the wifi age.  Probably nothing malicious.  Using the app, I have a red dot against my profile, next to "phone authorizations" & "settings", but the basic control of the air purifier is OK.  I do get a message on login that not all functions via the app will work.

4 minutes ago, KrishnaCameb4Buddha said:

My meter reads 380 now, approx 8:30AM, feb 29, near Kad Suan Kaew, *not* the 160 average aqicn.org shows as average, or even the 190 aqicn.org shows at one place in Old Town.

Probably the government stations show lower. I imagine the machine is locked away in cupboard and they spray it with water to get the numbers down. If you use airvisual then they state the source of the station.

18 hours ago, genericptr said:

....the Xiomi .... but only gets the PM 2.5 down to about 45-50.

45-50 is in the Green range, the 'Good' range. 

But remember the Xiaomi is measuring the clean air *as it exits the machine*.  It is not measuring the overall AQI in your room.  You need your own meter for that, a separate meter.

Still, if your room is not big, and you keep the windows closed, the Xiaomi will, indeed get the overall AQI in your room down significantly, often to the number on the Xiaomi screen.  Therefore, sometimes the number on the Xiaomi screen *is* the overall AQI in your room.

13 minutes ago, PowerKat said:

Probably the government stations show lower.  

The government stations absolutely show lower than the true numbers--from the true 380 (on my meter) to what they claim now as 160-190. But the government stations do not show lower than Air Visual, because AirVisual gets its numbers *from* the government stations.

The AirVisual you mention does not operate its own machines.  For Thailand, they are getting their numbers from aqicn.org.  If you go to aqicn.org you can see multiple readings from different spots around Chiang Mai.

"AirVisual’s unique real-time AI-based (Artificial Intelligence) system collects, analyses and validates millions of air quality data points which come mostly from ground-based air quality monitors operated by governments, non-governmental organizations and individuals." 

https://support.airvisual.com/en/articles/3405614-where-does-airvisual-get-its-air-quality-data-from

Edited by KrishnaCameb4Buddha
clarification

14 minutes ago, KrishnaCameb4Buddha said:

45 - 50 pm2.5 conc is most definitely not in the green range by international standards.  In the orange zone, which is not acceptable.  The Xiaomi is easily capable of keeping AQI below 100 inside the house, but not on auto mode.

Edited by Yorkshire Tea
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KrishnaCameb4Buddha said:

But remember the Xiaomi is measuring the clean air *as it exits the machine*.  It is not measuring the overall AQI in your room.  You need your own meter for that, a separate meter.

Still, if your room is not big, and you keep the windows closed, the Xiaomi will, indeed get the overall AQI in your room down significantly, often to the number on the Xiaomi screen.  Therefore, sometimes the number on the Xiaomi screen *is* the overall AQI in your room.

- sorry but you give some wrong informations!

- pm2.5 of 45-50 µg/m3 is not a good range at all ... see WHO

- if you own a pm2.5 meter, hold it over the outlet from your air purifier ...

i have 3 different typ's of air purifier and 4 different meters, if i hold the meter

over the outlet is shows 0-3 µg/m3!

who.png

Edited by motdaeng
  • Like 1

For you guys with the Xioami air purifier this number is the pm2.5 concentration - you can google and calculate into AQI which is much higher.

Around 35-36 is the limit pm2.5 when you get above AQI 100.

Around 9 is the limit when you get above AQI 50 (above green air).

When I was in CNX in December/January, I had to use the power/heart mode regularly to keep it below 9.

For those who always say a lot of the smog comes from Cambodia, I have just been there in February, around 70 AQI in Siem Reap and consistent blue sky.

I hope they get more burning done now. It seems to be very slow because AQI is only red. We need +200 consistently so they can finish.

2 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

45 - 50 pm2.5 conc is most definitely not in the green range by international standards.  In the orange zone, which is not acceptable.  The Xiaomi is easily capable of keeping AQI below 100 inside the house, but not on auto mode.

Thanks for catching my mistake.  You are right: the Xiaomi shows the PM2.5 *not* the AQI.   Xiaomi's PM2.5 is measured 'somewhere' in/around the machine. 

Is there a color code for PM2.5 by itself?  The color code is only for AQI, correct?  I have been so focused on the bogus AQI readings on Thai govt website aqicn.org--see my above posts--that I hastily wrote AQI when it should have been PM2.5

The AQI is composed of 6 things, 2 of which are PM2.5 and PM10 and it is the PM2.5 and PM10 which makes up the bulk of the AQI readings much of the time.

I am not sure what Xiaomi meter is reading.  Is it an 'average'?  Because right now Xiaomi meter on air machine reads 19, but when I put my own high quality meter over the Xiaomi fan where clean air emerges my meter reads 5 for PM2.5.  In my room now my meter reads 30 PM2.5, the Xiaomi filter machine reads 19, and when I place my handheld meter directly over xiaomi outtake fan, it reads 5 PM2.5

clarify color code

Right now my handheld meter reads outside my window near Kad Suan Kaew:

PM2.5 is 250

PM 10 is 350

AQI is 325.

You can see that the average of PM2.5 plus PM10 (250+350 is 600 divide by 2 is) 300. And the AQI on my handheld meter reads 325.  So the AQI is often very close to the average of PM2.5 plus PM10 because the other 4 components of the AQI don't come close to moving the average of those two big numbers by a large amount.

The government website aqicn.org says AQI near Kad Suan Kaew is 170-190.  Baloney! It is 325.