What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2020)

CharlieH

22 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Only a small sample at the moment.

The reviews I've read say it's very slow.

I might skip it.

Yeah apparently it's on the slower side.

I was reading about it on The Decider (which did still recommend it) where it was unfavorably compared to Capturing the Friedmans in pace which was done in two episodes, not four. 

Anyway, I'm mentioning that for anyone that hasn't yet seen Capturing the Friedmans as it's one of the best documentaries you'll ever see.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

Binging on the films of NWR, Nicolas Winding Refn. Not for everyone. Very quirky, dark, atmospheric and filmed in a very deliberate, and some would say slow manner. I like it. Great characters. Fun stories. Moody soundtracks. Amazing lighting and cinematography. Went all the way back to Pusher and Bleeder. Late 90's. Bleeder was a great story. No indication that Mads Mikkelsen would become one of the great actors of our generation, here. He plays a bit of a video store nerd. A film freak. A fun and fascinating character, though a bit meek and cowardly, at times. 

Then on to the masterpiece, Drive. What can one say? Pitch perfect. Gosling, Bryan Cranston, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, and Albert Brooks! 

Then onto Only God Forgives. Filmed in Bangkok. Crazy dark. Vithaya Pansringarm plays a brutally nasty Thai cop. A corrupt cop, or an angel of justice? Ryan Gosling is great, as usual. Kristen Scott Thomas plays the very evil mother. Fun stuff. 

Then the Neon Demon. Wow. A truly dystopian vision of LA. Fairly accurate. Also very dark. 

Skip Too old to die young. First few episodes were great. Then it faded out. Maybe TV is not NWR's medium. I love his work. Totally unique stuff. Very Danish. More of the truly great work coming out of Scandinavia, these days. 

34 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Skip Too old to die young. First few episodes were great. Then it faded out. Maybe TV is not NWR's medium. 

I enjoyed TOTDY, never seen William Baldwin play a better part, short as it was.

19 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I enjoyed TOTDY, never seen William Baldwin play a better part, short as it was.

Baldwin was my favorite part. And I love John Hawkes. Teller is a great actor, but his character was so laconic, it was hard to watch. Got through about half the season. Felt a bit like the Irishman. Five minute scenes that could have been 80 seconds. 

• Like 1

With Hollywoke shuffling all their product to next year...  I've pulled up some of my favorites from years past...

Recently, the 1973/1974  The Three Musketeers & The Four Musketeers...  Classics and hold up very well...  Chuck Heston & Chris Lee in unexpected roles...

Edited by Saddic
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Binging on the films of NWR, Nicolas Winding Refn. Not for everyone. Very quirky, dark, atmospheric and filmed in a very deliberate, and some would say slow manner. I like it. Great characters. Fun stories. Moody soundtracks. Amazing lighting and cinematography. Went all the way back to Pusher and Bleeder. Late 90's. Bleeder was a great story. No indication that Mads Mikkelsen would become one of the great actors of our generation, here. He plays a bit of a video store nerd. A film freak. A fun and fascinating character, though a bit meek and cowardly, at times. 

You didn't mention Valhalla Rising. I'd never heard of it, but watched it last night and have to say it was pretty slow going, and I think it was cut from 3 hours to 90 minutes, more than long enough. Haven't been able to find a download of Bleeder with English subs, at least a copy that has sufficient Seeds. For me, Drive and TOTDY are his standouts so far.

Edited by giddyup

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

You didn't mention Valhalla Rising. I'd never heard of it, but watched it last night and have to say it was pretty slow going, and I think it was cut from 3 hours to 90 minutes, more than long enough. Haven't been able to find a download of Bleeder with English subs, at least a copy that has sufficient Seeds. For me, Drive and TOTDY are his standouts so far.

I liked it quite a bit. Under rated. I think I found the subs elsewhere. MV subs? Mads again. Amazing actor. 

I want to see Fear X. Will look for it. Seen just about everything else of his. About due to watch Only God Forgives again. Been about a year now! 

Bull season 5 starting. 1337X just dropped episode 1.  

Dr Jason Bull, a psychologist and a trial science expert, heads a consulting firm that helps its clients choose the right jurors and aids them in deciding the best argument that can win the case.

30 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I liked it quite a bit. Under rated. I think I found the subs elsewhere. MV subs? Mads again. Amazing actor. 

I want to see Fear X. Will look for it. Seen just about everything else of his. About due to watch Only God Forgives again. Been about a year now! 

Can't find Fear X that has enough seeds to download, let me know if you manage to get it.

Re: Refn - 

The 3 Pusher films are excellent and the high point of his career.

Mikkelson at the video store is ok, Valhalla is pointlessly watchable, I tried several after that - unwatchable.

Many directors are at their career best in their 1st or 2nd film (Gus Van Sant, etc., etc.).

54 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Re: Refn - 

The 3 Pusher films are excellent and the high point of his career.

Mikkelson at the video store is ok, Valhalla is pointlessly watchable, I tried several after that - unwatchable.

Many directors are at their career best in their 1st or 2nd film (Gus Van Sant, etc., etc.).

I thought Drive was his best, well after Pusher.

I have been spending a bit of time on the BBC iPlayer watching various documentaries, including one about the Vikings, which I found interesting because apparently my colouring relates to the redheaded Vikings (Eric the red) and one which uncovered the fibs which have been told about various events which have happened throughout British history, like the Armada for example.

However the best was a documentary based on the films taken at the time in 1944/5 when the Russians were bearing down on Berlin (and it is called Berlin), and Hitler's efforts to persuade his army that they were going to be victorious, when in fact they were surrounded and in a terrible state.

The film was genuine and laid bare a few things about the war which I had never even considered.........once the Russians had taken Berlin, rapes were very common, even that of an eight year old girl, and more alarmingly they spread gonorrhoea at a great rate, so months after they took Berlin there were many unwanted pregnancies and STDs.

A fascinating three-part series and has to be the best I've seen of its ilk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lot of Aussies would've heard of the Claremont serial killer.

Serial killer Bradley Edwards hid in plain sight for nearly 25 years before WA detectives finally tracked him down. Australian Story reveals the extraordinary twists and turns that led to police cracking the case and revisits the families of two of his victims, Jane Rimmer and Sarah Spiers, who first spoke to the program 16 years ago.

Australian Story is always quality.

15 hours ago, xylophone said:

However the best was a documentary based on the films taken at the time in 1944/5 when the Russians were bearing down on Berlin (and it is called Berlin)

Hi Xylophone------ Thanks for the recommendation--Is it just called Berlin, because TPB comes up with about 50 different ones, is there a sub title, or maybe where you picked it up from---Thanks

45 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Hi Will27 same request---- so many Australian story---the latest 3 on TPB late Oct--is "To Catch a Boy"/"The Stalker" /"Braking new ground" can not see  "Claremont serial killer"...maybe it hasn't got there yet.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Hi Xylophone------ Thanks for the recommendation--Is it just called Berlin, because TPB comes up with about 50 different ones, is there a sub title, or maybe where you picked it up from---Thanks

Hi Will27 same request---- so many Australian story---the latest 3 on TPB late Oct--is "To Catch a Boy"/"The Stalker" /"Braking new ground" can not see  "Claremont serial killer"...maybe it hasn't got there yet.

Thanks

The episode you are looking for is on Youtube.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

A lot of Aussies would've heard of the Claremont serial killer.

Serial killer Bradley Edwards hid in plain sight for nearly 25 years before WA detectives finally tracked him down. Australian Story reveals the extraordinary twists and turns that led to police cracking the case and revisits the families of two of his victims, Jane Rimmer and Sarah Spiers, who first spoke to the program 16 years ago.

I was going to ask where, but now I see you added YouTube. Thanks.

Edited by giddyup

25 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I was going to ask where, but now I see you added YouTube. Thanks.

Giddy -- it is on TPB......its subtitled    "To his door"   S25E31    17/11/2020  only 2 seeds but seems to download quite OK.

40 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Thanks

Hi sanuk711........just looked again and the title is Berlin 1945 (3 episodes):-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000p9tw/berlin-1945-series-1-episode-3

• Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 1:39 PM, Jingthing said:

Anyway, I'm mentioning that for anyone that hasn't yet seen Capturing the Friedmans as it's one of the best documentaries you'll ever see.

As a documentary, it left me completely confused, because it played along with both sides of the story about them being innocent or guilty, and about the boys and the police lying, and never found a satisfactory conclusion in my opinion.

In the documentary there were hints that the boys could have been lying in order to please their interrogators, and one thing I find particularly strange is that one boy said he had been sodomised about 30 times over the period of a month or two, so surely a medical examination of that boy would have shown this, and shown it on other boys?

To further complicate the story there were other boys in the class who said no such things ever went on as described by one particular boy whose testimony I found shaky at best.

The best thing I could draw as a conclusion, was that perhaps the father was a paedophile, with just a few indiscretions in his life and that he was willingly going to jail to be punished for these, hence his calmness throughout all of this.

For me, an unsatisfactory documentary with too many loose ends.

25 minutes ago, xylophone said:

As a documentary, it left me completely confused, because it played along with both sides of the story about them being innocent or guilty, and about the boys and the police lying, and never found a satisfactory conclusion in my opinion.

In the documentary there were hints that the boys could have been lying in order to please their interrogators, and one thing I find particularly strange is that one boy said he had been sodomised about 30 times over the period of a month or two, so surely a medical examination of that boy would have shown this, and shown it on other boys?

To further complicate the story there were other boys in the class who said no such things ever went on as described by one particular boy whose testimony I found shaky at best.

The best thing I could draw as a conclusion, was that perhaps the father was a paedophile, with just a few indiscretions in his life and that he was willingly going to jail to be punished for these, hence his calmness throughout all of this.

For me, an unsatisfactory documentary with too many loose ends.

Oops!

Egg on my face.

I got Capturing the Friedman confused with Three Identical Strangers.

But yes I still strongly recommend both as documentaries. 

If you missed old content it's new to you.

On 11/16/2020 at 1:39 PM, Jingthing said:

Capturing the Friedmans as it's one of the best documentaries you'll ever see.

I watched it years ago---It was a good Doco.      Have you seen

"The.Lost.Honour.Of.Christopher.Jefferies"  

its in 2 parts came out in 2008 but still running on some sites TPB etc....or of course  YouTube

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I watched it years ago---It was a good Doco.      Have you seen

"The.Lost.Honour.Of.Christopher.Jefferies"  

its in 2 parts came out in 2008 but still running on some sites TPB etc....or of course  YouTube

Yes. It's very good. 

• Like 1