Why are more & more expats leaving Thailand?

RyanWalker

3 minutes ago, gaikhao said:

Much unfounded nonsense in this thread.  Yes, some western people of limited financial means or with criminal records, or of questionable morality, or engaged in gray/black market activity have departed Thailand. So what? Thousands of monied investors have taken their place. Thailand  welcomes thousands of Asians who are spending more per capita than these small number of down on their luck westerners ever spent. That is the reality and too many westerners are shocked to discover it when they meet it. No one with financial assets, and/or social position and/or quality education  has these tales of woe. Not one. In all the years we  have read Thai Visa,  no mentally competent financially stable, law abiding person has had the visa problems described in these long running threads. I have been reading for many years, off and on as I came in and out, and nothing changed. 

correct .... most farang on here just moan and bitch for the sake of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

British seem to have really been put out when the fake affidavit dried up. Struggle cobbling together 800k or income stream. Reliant heavily upon fixers.

No fake affidavits for British Embassy. Had to provide official documentation for verification of income.

Affidavits was the US system. Ever noticed how the majority of TV threads on "I'm leaving Thailand" are started by US citizens?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

No fake affidavits for British Embassy. Had to provide official documentation for verification of income.

Affidavits was the US system. Ever noticed how the majority of TV threads on "I'm leaving Thailand" are started by US citizens?

Maybe.  Any American over 65 has the money to qualify for a retirement or marriage visa just with social security.  When a British citizen verifies income is it gross or net ?

• Like 1

Just now, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

Maybe.  Any American over 65 has the money to qualify for a retirement or marriage visa just with social security.  When a British citizen verifies income is it gross or net ?

With the embassy letters that was a moot point. I always used net income. Now it's 65k baht coming into Thailand, so effectively net.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Don't want to add fuel to the fire, but in previous threads on this subject some members said it was possible to get this letter showing just copies of documents. Everyone know how easy it is to forge a copy...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

I think that a verification letter from any country can be played, but the 65k baht coming in is real.

I doubt that many Brits played the embassy letters. In Pattaya, it always has been and still is relatively easy to get an extension via an agent. Now 15-20k, no proofs required.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pattaya46 said:

Don't want to add fuel to the fire, but in previous threads on this subject some members said it was possible to get this letter showing just copies of documents. Everyone know how easy it is to forge a copy...

Old argument, over and done. Not spending 20 pages arguing that one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

Affidavits was the US system. Ever noticed how the majority of TV threads on "I'm leaving Thailand" are started by US citizens?

Whatever. The British embassy got tired of lying as did the American embassy and closed shop. I'd predicted it years ago,more than five. But thanks for the laugh this evening.

Ever notice how the dead enders are majority British? No money to relocate to another country, no money to stay, no money to live in UK. Then again, who would want to? Stuck in Pattaya, Chaing Mai and just ceaselessly whinge about the cost of everything, the demise of the gbp and who can fix up their next illegal extension.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I doubt that many Brits played the embassy letters. In Pattaya, it always has been and still is relatively easy to get an extension via an agent. Now 15-20k, no proofs required.

So you doubt many Brits illegally provided paperwork justifying their existence here to the embassy because they can easily get someone to illegally do it via another route. Proof is required it's just all illegal so it doesn't matter. But there's no special law created for the paupers taking the fixer route.

The closure of the consular service would clearly indicate otherwise.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Whatever. The British embassy got tired of lying as did the American embassy and closed shop. I'd predicted it years ago,more than five. But thanks for the laugh this evening.

2 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

So you doubt many Brits illegally provided paperwork justifying their existence here to the embassy because they can easily get someone to illegally do it via another route.

The closure of the consular service would clearly indicate otherwise.

You clearly have no idea why the British Embassy saw fit to stop producing income letters.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

This is not correct

I'll only receive about 1100usd at current rates. I only worked from 15-43 and 36-43 was spotty contract employment. I did my best to make the minimum and then GTFO of SS.

4 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

You clearly have no idea why the British Embassy saw fit to stop producing income letters.

Sure I do, as much as you do. Did you expect them to come out and say their citizens were lying through their teeth and they were complicit? What would that say about both parties.

The consulate has stated absolutely nothing publicly.

Don't be bitter, just accept it. Bunch of chancers.

1 hour ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

No.  Just because someone is over 65 doesn't mean they are collecting their full benefit (i.e., one could have selected to receive a reduced amount at age 62.)  Further, one would have to have been fully employed at an above average salary to earn in excess of $2,300.00 in monthly Social Security benefits.  

(On the bright side, you've chosen an apt name for your ThaiVisa forum handle.)  

"At present, the average retiree gets $1,422 a month in Social Security benefits."

https://www.fool.com/retirement/2018/10/16/heres-the-average-social-security-benefit-for-2019.aspx

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Sure I do, as much as you do. Did you expect them to come out and say their citizens were lying through their teeth and they were complicit? What would that say about both parties.

The consulate has stated absolutely nothing publicly.

Don't be bitter, just accept it. Bunch of chancers.

You have zero evidence for your pathetic vitriol.

The British Embassy was audited by the FCO prior to moving to a new smaller embassy in Bangkok. They used the request by a middle ranking TI official, whos comments were aimed at the US embassy, to excuse themselves for ceasing the letters, which in reality, was an office space/costcutting exercise. Several other notary services were ceased at the same time. Most other embassies used the same verification methods as the British Embassy, some 80 embassies in Thailand still do.

1 hour ago, gaikhao said:

Much unfounded nonsense in this thread.  Yes, some western people of limited financial means or with criminal records, or of questionable morality, or engaged in gray/black market activity have departed Thailand. So what? Thousands of monied investors have taken their place. Thailand  welcomes thousands of Asians who are spending more per capita than these small number of down on their luck westerners ever spent. That is the reality and too many westerners are shocked to discover it when they meet it. No one with financial assets, and/or social position and/or quality education  has these tales of woe. Not one. In all the years we  have read Thai Visa,  no mentally competent financially stable, law abiding person has had the visa problems described in these long running threads. I have been reading for many years, off and on as I came in and out, and nothing changed. 

There comes a point when the ROI isn't good any longer, whatever financial riches, fantastic social connections and like you may have.

With regards to dodgy Chinese money pouring in, I would rather not take it in my country, thank you. It has already created massive housing bubbles in many Anglosphere cities.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

You have zero evidence for your pathetic vitriol.

The British Embassy was audited by the FCO prior to moving to a new smaller embassy in Bangkok. They used the request by a middle ranking TI official, whos comments were aimed at the US embassy, to excuse themselves for ceasing the letters, which in reality, was an office space/costcutting exercise. Several other notary services were ceased at the same time. Most other embassies used the same verification methods as the British Embassy, some 80 embassies in Thailand still do.

Cost cutting. Rrrrrrright.

A nation with the highest number of expats in Thailand and presumably volume £££ for services needs to close to cut costs but as you cite 80 other nations, many miniscule in number of expats it's business as usual. Got it.

Just now, Number 6 said:

Cost cutting. Rrrrrrright.

A nation with the highest number of expats in Thailand and presumably volume £££ for services needs to close to cut costs but as you cite 80 other nations, many miniscule in number of expats it's business as usual. Got it.

No not got it have you? Continue your vitriol against Brits, for whatever personal reasons you have (I can only imagine).

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

The British embassy didnt lie and neither did anyone else .

The UK Embassy used to issue affidavits based on a persons claims to be in receipt of income .

The Thai Gov requested that the UK Embassy confirm the income , the UK Embassy was unwilling/unable to make those confirmations and thus stopped issuing the affidavits .

No one has been accused of lying, just the Thai gov insisted the UK Embassy verifies the income and the Embassy wasnt willing to do that .

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

No not got it have you? Continue your vitriol against Brits, for whatever personal reasons you have (I can only imagine).

Very much so.

Just keeping it real.

Absolute fantasy to think that all these punters were straight up. Then when UK letters cease months of mass hysteria followed by mass exodus of British.

I'd lay odds that 70% of visas illegally fixed are British.

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The British embassy didnt lie and neither did anyone else .

The UK Embassy used to issue affidavits based on a persons claims to be in receipt of income .

The Thai Gov requested that the UK Embassy confirm the income , the UK Embassy was unwilling/unable to make those confirmations and thus stopped issuing the affidavits .

No one has been accused of lying, just the Thai gov insisted the UK Embassy verifies the income and the Embassy wasnt willing to do that .

I largely agree with the above and I suspect the significant number of Income Letters were Kosher.

However, the embassy simply certified that the applicant had stated what their income was. Yes, some sort of documentary evidence had to be provided, but the due diligence on this information was nil. 

That said, the system was pretty good and at 52 Quid a shot I don't buy the cost-cutting exercise comments either.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Very much so.

Just keeping it real.

Absolute fantasy to think that all these punters were straight up. Then when UK letters cease months of mass hysteria followed by mass exodus of British.

I'd lay odds that 70% of visas illegally fixed are British.

No one has claimed that all the punters were straight up, they were probably a few that were not .

Point being though , that there have been no official suggestions of dishonestly and you really arent keeping anything real by suggesting that 70 % of applications were false .

The Thai Gov simply required the UK Embassy to confirm applicators income and the Embassy declined .

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

No one has claimed that all the punters were straight up, they were probably a few that were not .

Point being though , that there have been no official suggestions of dishonestly and you really arent keeping anything real by suggesting that 70 % of applications were false .

The Thai Gov simply required the UK Embassy to confirm applicators income and the Embassy declined .

Your one of the 70%  If your the wealthy landlord that you recently claim to be you're Thai visa situation would have been unaffected yet you fled to the UK to live with mummy. Doesn't scream wealth to me.

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

I would venture to guess that most complaining and leaving are likely near 70 ( many probably older) and expected life to be dirt cheap forever. I would also venture to say that a great many live here on a fixed pension income and the world economy changed and now they are living in poverty and had to cut back on bar nights and drink "Buy 1 get 1 Free Chang". 

What did you folks expect? That Thailand wouldn't evolve and change? All the things that the great majority of the posters whinge about to fix, costs money. If it costs the government or retailers money it will always hit the consumer some how. Its really quite simple.

Expats coming and going will always happen. So just get on with it and move. ????

And when they move they continue to bitch and moan, I get it ,European and USA Winters are a massive shock to the system after decades in tropical Thailand. I feel sorry for them 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JAFO said:

I would venture to guess that most complaining and leaving are likely near 70 ( many probably older) and expected life to be dirt cheap forever. I would also venture to say that a great many live here on a fixed pension income and the world economy changed and now they are living in poverty and had to cut back on bar nights and drink "Buy 1 get 1 Free Chang". 

What did you folks expect? That Thailand wouldn't evolve and change? All the things that the great majority of the posters whinge about to fix, costs money. If it costs the government or retailers money it will always hit the consumer some how. Its really quite simple.

Expats coming and going will always happen. So just get on with it and move. ????

That actually makes no sense, since your thesis is "it got more expensive" ... ummm ... so where did they go? Certainly not home!  People 70 are really not all about change, or setting up a new situation ... I think they can easily just cut back a little, and adapt easily to tighter budgets.  It was a good guess ... but I am not buying that.