Question

whittler

I am coming to Thailand this summer to live. I am going to stay a week at a few places to see if I like them.

What is the difference between Udon Thani, and Khon Kaen ?

Thanks,

Mike / aka whittler

I haven't seen all that much of Khon Kaen, but in my opinion Udon Thani is nicer. It's smaller and cleaner and has better looking girls :o .

I am coming to Thailand this summer to live. I am going to stay a week at a few places to see if I like them.

What is the difference between Udon Thani, and Khon Kaen ?

Thanks,

Mike / aka whittler

I haven't seen all that much of Khon Kaen, but in my opinion Udon Thani is nicer. It's smaller and cleaner and has better looking girls :o .

Jeebusjones obviously had his first Chang before daybreak ... so best ignore. :D

Since you are going to be here anyway ... Just be patient and you can decide.

Naka.

Edited by naka

Things to see in Khon Kaen (and around):

Dinosaur excavation site (protected area), whole day trip

King Cobra village (whole day trip, not because it is far - actually about in the middle between Udorn and KK - but just in case they have a show going on)

Turtle village (half day trip)

handicraft village (half day trip, can be combined with turtle village)

in town? nothing really

Things to see in Udorn (and around)

Praputthabat Buabok temple and adjacent protected forest with cave paintings and nice tales to be told (bizzare rock formations)

waterfalls in Sangkhom District (well, probably not in the dry season) - whole day

Ban Chiang World Heritage site - half day or if interested in archeology whole day

Lake Prachak in town to take a stroll or if you got a family rent a tandem bicycle (they even have some for three and four persons - BIG time fun!)

Wat Hin Makbeng (very nice pagoda at the banks of the Mekong), can be done on the way to Sangkhom district

Ban Naka weaving village - very close to Udorn town (approx. 15 min by car direction towards Nongkhai) for a big range of Thai silk weaving

Further from Udorn:

Erawan cave in Loei province (can still be done as a day-tour if you base yourself at Udorn)

Both cities are provincial capitals. Khon Kaen is a larger city being the regional HQ for the federal government. Udon has a larger influence of farangs (restaurant, bars). Udon has more golf options.

For more info:

www.udonmap.com

www.khonkaen.com

I am coming to Thailand this summer to live.

Tourist attractions in both locations will see you through a week, ten days max.

If you are coming here to live, it's more about you than the location.... spend a few months in either place to see if you can hack it. If you find Udon not to your liking after that space of time, I don't think that you would cope any better in KK.

Life is what you make it.

I live and work in the greater Khon Kaen region. However, if I had that choice to make, I'd go for Udon because of it's very close proximity to Nong Khai and the Laos border. If you're into adventure travel, and want to do some excursions into Laos, Udon would be a great hub from which to travel.

Also, I have a hunch there's a lot more resident expats up in Udon (legacy from the Vietnam war) which means a larger foreign community and support group. Motorcycle clubs, monthly expat meetings, some good western grub you can't get anywhere else in Isaan, etc. Of course, if you staying just for the summer, you probably won't be looking for western food and will want to jump right into the local cuisine: fried insects, fermented fish sauce, raw beef salad, etc. :o:D

Edited by toptuan

I live and work in the greater Khon Kaen region. However, if I had that choice to make, I'd go for Udon because of it's very close proximity to Nong Khai and the Laos border. If you're into adventure travel, and want to do some excursions into Laos, Udon would be a great hub from which to travel.

Also, I have a hunch there's a lot more resident expats up in Udon (legacy from the Vietnam war) which means a larger foreign community and support group. Motorcycle clubs, monthly expat meetings, some good western grub you can't get anywhere else in Isaan, etc. Of course, if you staying just for the summer, you probably won't be looking for western food and will want to jump right into the local cuisine: fried insects, fermented fish sauce, raw beef salad, etc. :o:D

Oh do you mean something like this???

post-18138-1175664497_thumb.jpg

Oh do you mean something like this???

YAmmy,, now getting hungry.....