Laptop battery?

claynlr

Hey guys- I have a 6 year old Lenovo laptop that had been sitting not used for a while. I plugged it up and on checking battery, it would charge to 60% and say not charging. Now it won’t even start up when plugged in to outlet. Need new battery I am sure but with a bad battery a laptop won’t work even when plugged into the outlet?

I can’t get it to turn on transom. I removed the battery and tried to start up....it acted like it was going to start and then went black. Don’t want to buy a new battery if The prob is as Victornoir described...power supply

Get a new power supply first, if that powers the machine, then insert the battery if that wont then charge, renew the battery. 

Power supply (cord/transformer) is not expensive and neither is the battery.

Just now, CharlieH said:

Get a new power supply first, if that powers the machine, then insert the battery if that wont then charge, renew the battery. 

Power supply is not expensive and neither is the battery.

Ok I admit I am dumb! The power cord?

1 minute ago, claynlr said:

Ok I admit I am dumb! The power cord?

I assume the lead that runs from the wall to the laptop has an inline transformer  ? that steps the power down to 18v or whatever is required, thats the supply I am suggesting you check/replace

5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I assume the lead that runs from the wall to the laptop has an inline transformer  ? that steps the power down to 18v or whatever is required, thats the supply I am suggesting you check/replace

Yes Charlie...I will start there. Thanks!

Go to a Lenovo shop (i.e. Fortune Town). Then you can try in the shop if a new battery works before you buy it.

And possibly you can also try a different power supply.

When you buy something online you might be able to return it. But if they make it a condition that the box was never opened then that won't work...

2 hours ago, claynlr said:

Thanks Ivor, already found one on Lazada. But should a laptop with a bad battery still not work when plugged into the outlet?

My laptop works straight off the mains via a voltage reducer. No need for a battery to be inserted.

It's a Lenovo. Often happens.

If the battery is not used for some time it just refuses to charge. Often says you are using a non-Lenovo battery and it is refusing the charge.

Normally if left plugged for some time (a few days) the computer finally comes to it's senses and starts to charge. Can also help to remove the battery and put it back. Darn pest of a thing.

22 hours ago, claynlr said:

I can’t get it to turn on transom. I removed the battery and tried to start up....it acted like it was going to start and then went black. Don’t want to buy a new battery if The prob is as Victornoir described...power supply

Describe this in more detail. 

Give the model description details. You can see if you can get into the BIOS setup and if you need to change the CMOS battery.

Power supply is outside the laptop, so that doesn't make any sense to suggest that it is an expensive fix.

You can pop into a shop to try their charger in order to check if it's an external power supply issue.

20 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Describe this in more detail. 

Give the model description details. You can see if you can get into the BIOS setup and if you need to change the CMOS battery.

Power supply is outside the laptop, so that doesn't make any sense to suggest that it is an expensive fix.

You can pop into a shop to try their charger in order to check if it's an external power supply issue.

When I try to start up, the Lenovo logo shows up and a group of small circles forming a single large circle appear under the Lenovo logo spinning. After app. 15 seconds the screen goes black and won’t come back on. Just checked again and the same process as above happened. After it sits for awhile it will repeat the above logo coming on and shutting down. This is with battery in and plugged in to power

Lenovo G580, Model 20150....original battery and power supply(cord)

Live in the sticks but will visit a shop soon.

On 1/7/2020 at 4:45 AM, claynlr said:

When I try to start up, the Lenovo logo shows up and a group of small circles forming a single large circle appear under the Lenovo logo spinning. After app. 15 seconds the screen goes black and won’t come back on. Just checked again and the same process as above happened. After it sits for awhile it will repeat the above logo coming on and shutting down. This is with battery in and plugged in to power

Lenovo G580, Model 20150....original battery and power supply(cord)

Live in the sticks but will visit a shop soon.

Can you get into the BIOS setup, via the F2 key? You can check there if the time and date are ok and then perhaps set BIOS to defaults.

Archived