Black Algae Invasion

luudee

My  pool is under attack by Black Algae ...

It's a salt water pool, generating the proper amount of chlorine, and otherwise balanced.

I read that shocking the pool once a week and extensive brushing is the trick to

get rid of the Algae.

Wonder if anyone has recommendations what to use for the shocking (and where to get

it in Thailand). Also, any other tips highly appreciated!

Thanks !

rudi

Black algae is particularly tenacious and can be hard to combat. It must be scraped out with a wire brush. If left too long it will take root deep in the grout and the pool will need regrouting.

Chlorine will prevent the growth of most algae, but only if the pH and chlorine levels are rigorously maintained. However, the main purpose of chlorine is as a disinfectant.

Products exist to combat black algae.

17 minutes ago, SwimmingPoolsThailand said:

Black algae is particularly tenacious and can be hard to combat. It must be scraped out with a wire brush. If left too long it will take root deep in the grout and the pool will need regrouting.

Chlorine will prevent the growth of most algae, but only if the pH and chlorine levels are rigorously maintained. However, the main purpose of chlorine is as a disinfectant.

Products exist to combat black algae.

Thanks for your reply. I was actually looking at your guys website ????

What chemical is better, the "Black Algaetrine", or the "Shocking Chlorine" ?

Thank you !

rudi

The algaecide is essential once black algae has been detected. Scrubbing it will of course send fine particles into the surrounding water, so the filter must be particularly clean. In the worst case scenario the sand should be changed.

When the algae appears to have been removed, shock the pool with Dichlor or Cal Hypo. Continue to use Algaetrine for a while as a prophylactic.

If you can vacuum to waste after treatment, rather than normal vacuum + backwash that will help in your mission to avoid re-infestation via your filter medium.

I recently lost control over my pool (1st time in 8 years of pool ownership) with green algae - so much so the initial attempts at treatment coupled with unavoidable long weekend holiday commitments resulted in an appallingly deep green/brown haze that obscured the pool bottom even at the shallow end. Thought I was  going to end up having to change the pool water completely (heaven forbid) but Swimming Pool Thailand's green algaecide, flocculant and clarifier (3 different products) brought my pool back to bright and clear after a couple of weeks of hard graft. Involved 2 vacuums to waste and a couple of vacuums to filter + backwash but I was very pleased to get there in the end. 

Shocking with chlorine at the start had got me nowhere by the way - it does IME kill off an emergent trace of green algae on the ladder and small sections of grouting, but once your water starts greening you need the stronger stuff

Big up also for SPT's quick delivery (typically 2 days after order for me), particularly important if you are a long way from a pool shop. I'm independent in recommending their product and service.

Black Algaetrine should be mixed with water in a watering can for dispersal in the pool water. The quantities of product to be used are shown on the label.

See notes on:

Using and Dosing

For on going prophylactic treatment once the Algaetrine is used up, consider regular dosing with the more economical AlgiKleer

All SwimmingPoolsThailand own 'SPT' brand chemicals have instructions on the containers inEnglish, Frenc h, German, and Thai.

For more detailed information about the products we market, please contact us direct - we do not regularly monitor  ThaiVisa forum.

• Like 1

I have dealt with the issue dozens of times including my stint at Ramayana Water Park. Different stroty there than the norn.

The process of getting rid of black algae (It is a flower & has roots) 

- 1st get you pH below 7. using hydrochloric acid (You should have this at hand if yor pool is salt)

- Use the black algaecide 

- circulate the pool for a couple of hours then turn off the system for 24 hrs letting the algaecide do it job

- Get in the pool with the steel brush & vacuum hose and vacuum as you scrub.

- Get some chlorine pills. Break them up into small pieces and rub the grout area where the roots will be vigoursly.

- do a good backwash. If you have sand I would recommend changing it to "Eco Clear" recycled plate glass media. (Not bottled glass which is multi coloured. (Last up to 15 yrs. Better filtration, clearer water)

See attached brochure

Plate glass.jpg

Bottle Glass.jpg

Eco Clear.pdf

To follow up best you clean your salt sell.

6 monthly is a norm. But if the pool is not getting used much yearly is fine.

1st use some dishwashing liquid to get rid of grease, oil & body fats. Then 20% to 80% water soak for a few minutes.

Try keeping you pH at the lower end of the range 7.2 - 7.4 with at least 2 doses of acid weekly.

(Amount comes down to pool volume) It is "high pH" that allows black algae to take hold.

Depending on bather load I would throw a cupfull of 90% tri-chlor in the pool at night, monthly to give it a shock. This also will bring the pH down.

Happy swimming!

Edited by Bagwain

Thank you Bagwain, very helpful info.

So my pool guy came buy and brought a large bag of Copper Sulfate (1kg). He said it works just

as well as the Algaecide at 1/6 the cost.  Now, 3 days later, the pool is all clear, looks like new.

He supposed to come by today again and bring some Calcium Hypochlorite too shock the pool.

I will research replacing the sand in the filters. Thanks to all for the help !

rudi

It is generally quite safe to use copper sulfate as an algaecide.
However, it is very important to keep the water hardness, PH and the copper ion concentration at the correct level. The performance of copper ions as an algaecide depends on the water hardness. Copper sulfate works best in soft water. The lower the hardness the better. The ideal copper concentration is 0.3ppm to 0.4ppm. This is a very small amount - not much more than a spoon full of Copper Sulfate per 60,000 liters of water.

In larger concentrations, copper sulfate can be toxic, stain the walls and fittings, copper plate any steel elements in the pool and plumbing, and turn blond hair green.

It is highly recommended when using copper sulfate to test the level with a test kit.

20 hours ago, luudee said:

Thank you Bagwain, very helpful info.

So my pool guy came buy and brought a large bag of Copper Sulfate (1kg). He said it works just

as well as the Algaecide at 1/6 the cost.  Now, 3 days later, the pool is all clear, looks like new.

He supposed to come by today again and bring some Calcium Hypochlorite too shock the pool.

I will research replacing the sand in the filters. Thanks to all for the help !

rudi

Personally I would use 90% Tri-Chlor for the shock treatment. This helps bring the pH down. Hypo brings it up! So acid will be needed to counteract this!

Glad you are getting there! 

• Like 1

I had the same.  I cured it with over 3 gallons of hydrochloric acid, administered over one week. Never had that problem again. Get it in 5 gallon drums from your local pool shop.  Pool was unusable for that week, plus a couple days, after that, all the checks showed it as normally balanced.   

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 9:23 PM, SwimmingPoolsThailand said:

The algaecide is essential once black algae has been detected. Scrubbing it will of course send fine particles into the surrounding water, so the filter must be particularly clean. In the worst case scenario the sand should be changed.

When the algae appears to have been removed, shock the pool with Dichlor or Cal Hypo. Continue to use Algaetrine for a while as a prophylactic.

Copper Sulphate. Available at a low cost compared to propriety stuff.

Use at 50% of the dosage you see on the interweb and add on at least a 5 day interval until cleared. It's difficult to counter if you overdose.