PHOTOS: Fabric bags starting to replace plastic since launch of campaign

webfact

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

We buy those kinds of large/bulky things all the time in BKK,.... But usually make it a point to order them from a source that does home delivery, either for free or for a small fee.

Tesco does home delivery for 60 baht. Tops does free home delivery for orders usually over 888 baht and sometimes less, and charges a small fee for smaller value orders. Central Markets, being more upmarket, will only do free home delivery on orders 1500 baht and above.

Just last night, Central delivered 12 2-litre bottles to my home, and I sure wouldn't have wanted to be carrying them home myself, either in plastic bags, cloth bags or anything else since I don't drive/use a car in BKK.

Tops, Tesco and Central all do their home deliveries in trucks, no sweat!

I am glad that you can get home delivery but I live in rural Khampaeng Phet 65km from the city with BigC, Makro and Tops but they won't deliver (neither will KFC of the pizza place). Fortunately I have a pickup truck and plenty of bags so I can just chuck the stuff in a bag and lob it in the back. I have cold boxes too for the chilled and frozen stuff. In the rainy season I use 36 x 45 cm black bags from Makro to keep the stuff dry.

When I was in Germany the super markets used to sell soda, beer and wine in crates that have a deposit on which you get back when you return them. My pet hate is the small soda bottles here that end up in a big plastic basket which the salvage man takes away.