Road rage attempt by Somthai

RasiMike

31 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Agreed. Some of the Thais carry knives, iron bars and even guns. It does not take much to get one of them fired up either.

So I spend a lot of time avoiding these idiots on the road, but there is a limit to ones patience.

Some of the farang I've met are easy to upset also ????

I agree with your take on patience and it's limits.

30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Maybe calling friends...  he didn’t want to get into a one on one confrontation with someone bigger !

I was thinking this could be the case....either uniformed or multiple friends. Fortunately, so far no one met us on the road or has arrived at our door so I guess my original evaluation was close to the mark. Little Prince syndrome.

3 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

I've my own way to deal with this kind of events.

I use my finger... to show the dash cam recording the scene... strangely these bxxtxrds become, suddenly, very calm lol

On the rest of our journey home my sons and I had a giggle about getting home and watching a ' bad farang report' and accompanying video on the news. ???? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

I've my own way to deal with this kind of events.

I use my finger... to show the dash cam recording the scene... strangely these bxxtxrds become, suddenly, very calm lol

Which brings me to the question.... which dash cam to buy?

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Maybe calling friends...  he didn’t want to get into a one on one confrontation with someone bigger !

Yes, that´s how it usually works. They never fight one against one. And perhaps he had no gun in his car and called a friend who owns a gun. Luck for RasiMike that the guy didn´t find someone so quick.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, RasiMike said:

I was thinking this could be the case....either uniformed or multiple friends. Fortunately, so far no one met us on the road or has arrived at our door so I guess my original evaluation was close to the mark. Little Prince syndrome.

Yet......presumably he could see your number plate?

Pride goes before a fall.

7 hours ago, RasiMike said:

But I will always have to look after my family she knows this and is well aware of what I will do if required.

If this is true you would have let him have the road

but you did not, so it can not be

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

If this is true you would have let him have the road

but you did not, so it can not be

Wasn't an option, roadworks caused a bottle neck and I found myself stuck with an a_sehole who was unhappy to be driving behind me for a while.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Why Me said:

Wow, the OP's not only incredibly stupid, endangering wife and kids, but then, having luckily got away with it, comes on TV to brag about how he got one over Somchai.

Jeez, sometimes you just gotta shake your head and wonder.

I found myself in a situation where, a guy decided to drive his car at us, using it as a weapon. I really do believe that if required, one should be ok with standing up and defend their loved ones when put in that position. Losing my cool is not something I do regularly and I agree it may seem stupid to you, but sometimes, where my loved ones have been threatened, I have. Shake your head all you like, I'm not sure if you have a family but I hope if you do, you'd be willing to defend them should you find yourself in that position. ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Why Me said:

"I found myself in a situation where, a guy decided to drive his car at us, using it as a weapon."

If this is true that even while traveling in the same direction he was attacking your vehicle in a manner that could not have been put an end to by simply pulling over for a minute, then you have my sincere apologies. You were cornered and had every right to defend yourself.

However, if this not be the case and you indeed had means to disengage from a looming confrontation with an unknown and evidently irrational person, then I stand by my earlier criticism.

And I would add too that you set a lousy example for your son, an undoubtedly bright but impressionable boy, by showing him the "virtue" of recklessness vs. thoughtfulness.

My wife and sons are constantly reminded of the reckless nature of many individuals here, both on the roads and in general life. They've been very lucky to have the experience of observation from lives lived in different cultures - I believe and trust they're mature enough to learn, make comparisons and to come to their own conclusions from both positive and negative experiences. We often share a laugh and the same sense of wonder while traveling in the car in Thailand. In fact, it is one of our family pastimes while driving anywhere, from a trip to Big C or across the country to run a commentary, laugh and take the p_ss, while observing the antics of the large percentage of unlicensed, untrained and foolish drivers/riders/buffalo herders. I'd been avoiding potential confrontation and carnage for about 9 hours by the time, for whatever reason, this Honda driver decided to let loose in an aggressive way that could have hurt my loved ones.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on what my kids need as far as examples and life lessons go - I believe we're probably on very different planes on this and a miriad more subjects. ????

Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RasiMike said:

I...called his bluff by braking hard and slowing to a crawl to engage him. Young Somthai pulled alongside yelling abuse so I opened my window, presented him with my farang face, some verbal abuse back and my middle finger which miraculously changed everything. Oh what a contrast followed - the cunning little stunt suddenly decided to drop behind, drive very well for the next short while, overtake where appropriate and move ahead until traffic lights gave him the opportunity to stop on the other side of an intersection where he exited his vehicle and was seen to be posturing while making a phone call. Mrs Rasi suggested he was calling the police, about what I'm unsure but I hope he did - it would be great to take to court with the footage

Your reaction was as bad as his.  What gives you the right to brake hard and drive at a crawl as a punishment to him, inconveniencing everyone else on that road, while you think he doesn't have the right to act just as irresponsibly?

"Mrs Rasi suggested he was calling the police, about what I'm unsure"

Probably your driving.  It would be great if he had footage of your deliberately bad driving also.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, RasiMike said:

I know what you are saying, I would have preferred to just do the usual avoidance driving technique usually employed but this person seriously endangered my family and wanted to use his car as a weapon.

He was behind you, not affecting you at all!  He was not using his car as a weapon against you but you were using yours against him!  He did not "seriously endanger your family", unless you've missed out something.

• Like 2