Orca And Brydes Whales Were Spotted Near Surin Islands

NBT TV Phuket

Mini-video: Some unusual Orca and Brydes whales were spotted near Surin Islands while the national park head there prepares to propose the island as a world heritage site.

to see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=210864

"This herd of killer whales or orcas were photographed by scuba divers and tourists near the Surin Islands of the Andaman Sea, in Phang Nga Province. The orca group passed the Khao Khad Straits in the scenic Surin Islands. The black & white whales were seen swimming near the surface, drawing a number of curious onlookers. According to Dr.Thorn, an academic of the Department of Marine Science, Faculty of Fisheries, Kasetsart University, the whales entered the tropical area to find food, especially manta rays. The El Nino phenomenon has lowered the temperature of the Andaman Sea, turning the area into an abundant source of food for marine predators. Killer whales or orcas are predators and the average length of their body is longer than five meters. They are not however normally considered as a threat to humans. Kanjana Adulyanukosol, Chief of Marine Endangered Species Unit, Phuket Marine Biological Center, also said about four grey Bryde's whales were seen in Surin island too for about the last 3 - 4 weeks. The newly spotted whales drew vast interest resulting in full bookings on the island. The Director General of National Park, Wildlife & Plant Conservation Department Chalermsak Vanitsombat made an inspection trip to the island on Friday while the park chief there prepares to propose the islands be listed in world heritage sites."

from Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) + Radio Thailand FM90.5 Phuket City, both broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, 8.30am & later on Phuket Cable TV Channel 1, Monday 2 April 2007 & www.Thaisnews.com {Our news text and mini-videos can be freely copied, but give credit to Andaman News TV11 Phuket or contact [email protected]}

thats very trusting of them............

what boat are you going with?

It is indeed Smarty ... but then again I am a very trustyworthy fellow and If I flood it I will replace it no worries !

We will be on SY Sampai Jumpa leaving from Phuket on the 10th ... will be diving around Phuket, Koh Phi Phi and down to Hin Muang and Hin Daeng and then its up to the Similans and Surins to return back to Phuket on the 19th.

I've been on this boat before a couple of years ago just to the Similans and Surins for a week which was spectacular.

It's going to be cracker of a trip ! :o

Hello Chantal :D

Edited by davidjtayler

It is indeed Smarty ... but then again I am a very trustyworthy fellow and If I flood it I will replace it no worries !

We will be on SY Sampai Jumpa leaving from Phuket on the 10th ... will be diving around Phuket, Koh Phi Phi and down to Hin Muang and Hin Daeng and then its up to the Similans and Surins to return back to Phuket on the 19th.

I've been on this boat before a couple of years ago just to the Similans and Surins for a week which was spectacular.

It's going to be cracker of a trip ! :D

Uggh David you are making me jealous! :o

Would be nice to have a trip report, especially about Hin Daeng/Hin Muang.

It's going to be cracker of a trip ! :D

Uggh David you are making me jealous! :o

Would be nice to have a trip report, especially about Hin Daeng/Hin Muang.

Don't you worry Chantal ... I will for sure be writing a detailed report with some pics for you all when I get back. :D

Orca's have been sighted in that area before by myself and other friends of mine. My last experience was during the '99-2000 season near Richelieu Rock and moving north. Several pods had a Manta Ray boxed at the surface. The Orcas put on quite a show and snorkeling with the Manta was a treat. Fair to say we may have interupted the hunt, and in doing so, the training of the juveniles in the pods. Very glad to hear that these "Nomads" are continuing to navigate Thai waters safely.

Mini-video: Some unusual Orca and Brydes whales were spotted near Surin Islands while the national park head there prepares to propose the island as a world heritage site.

to see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=210864

"This herd of killer whales or orcas were photographed by scuba divers and tourists near the Surin Islands of the Andaman Sea, in Phang Nga Province. The orca group passed the Khao Khad Straits in the scenic Surin Islands. The black & white whales were seen swimming near the surface, drawing a number of curious onlookers. According to Dr.Thorn, an academic of the Department of Marine Science, Faculty of Fisheries, Kasetsart University, the whales entered the tropical area to find food, especially manta rays. The El Nino phenomenon has lowered the temperature of the Andaman Sea, turning the area into an abundant source of food for marine predators. Killer whales or orcas are predators and the average length of their body is longer than five meters. They are not however normally considered as a threat to humans. Kanjana Adulyanukosol, Chief of Marine Endangered Species Unit, Phuket Marine Biological Center, also said about four grey Bryde's whales were seen in Surin island too for about the last 3 - 4 weeks. The newly spotted whales drew vast interest resulting in full bookings on the island. The Director General of National Park, Wildlife & Plant Conservation Department Chalermsak Vanitsombat made an inspection trip to the island on Friday while the park chief there prepares to propose the islands be listed in world heritage sites."

from Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) + Radio Thailand FM90.5 Phuket City, both broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, 8.30am & later on Phuket Cable TV Channel 1, Monday 2 April 2007 & www.Thaisnews.com {Our news text and mini-videos can be freely copied, but give credit to Andaman News TV11 Phuket or contact [email protected]}