Flat Tires

Gtto

I have a Honda Clik that I have had for a few years. The tires seem to always lose air. I have tries cheap inner tubes and expensive inner tubes. No difference. The shops tell me it is because of the heat but I have owned bikes for years in Miami where it is also hot and never had a problem. Even my 40 year old Moto Guzzi rarely needed air! Does anybody know why this is? Thanks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, johng said:

Does you click have  "mag" wheels or spoked wheels ?    try some "tubeless" tyres they are supposed to leak less.

Spokes, so tubeless is a no go. Funnily I had mags on another bike but Honda told me that tubeless tires wouldn't work. I never understood their explanation though.

Same here, my Kawa with tube over 5 years old never loose air.

The Click here need a shot every week from 7psi to 29.

The front weel barely need new air, I remembered payed a tat bit more for the new inner tube when the outer was worn and replaced.

100(in.tube)+690(out.tube)thb service at home.

The rear, just a fix new inner but 120thb all in.

Done at a road shop, perhaps low quality tube.

Works fine, but queuing up in the air line required every week.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

Same here, my Kawa with tube over 5 years old never loose air.

The Click here need a shot every week from 7psi to 29.

The front weel barely need new air, I remembered payed a tat bit more for the new inner tube when the outer was worn and replaced.

100(in.tube)+690(out.tube)thb service at home.

The rear, just a fix new inner but 120thb all in.

Done at a road shop, perhaps low quality tube.

Works fine, but queuing up in the air line required every week.

Very strange. Also of interest is how much pressure they add. Honda specs are clearly marked yet I have measured ridiculously high PSI after the shop has put in air! IIRC almost 100PSI!!!

7 minutes ago, Gtto said:

ridiculously high PSI after the shop has put in air! IIRC almost 100PSI!!!

Hehe  yes they pump it up high so you don't have to do it so often...it also gives you better fuel economy and higher speed.

downsides  are  its like riding a bone-shaker on an ice rink !! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Gtto said:

Spokes, so tubeless is a no go. Funnily I had mags on another bike but Honda told me that tubeless tires wouldn't work. I never understood their explanation though.

Spokes are notorious for promoting air loss. My guess is you have a couple of them abrading the tire more than normal.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Gtto said:

Does anybody know why this is? Thanks.

It's always the cheap inner tubes.

I suspect the expensive inner tubes were cheap ones sold at an expensive price.

Get them replaced by a local roadside tire fixer @ around 150bht each, the new ones MIGHT be better.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Gtto said:

My honda has mag wheels and tubeless and also they deflate themselves. And i have michelin citygrip tires.

Edited by Thian
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, johng said:

They will all deflate eventually as they are under pressure and the rubber is porous at the molecular level..the mostly nitrogen molecules inside will find their way outside..its just a matter of how long it takes.

Why did it never happen with motorcycle tubes in the US then? Yes of course after a year maybe....

Edited by Gtto

I have had a couple of scooters with tubes in Thailand, not worth your time. Get mags and you'll get years without a flat.

It has to be the garbage tubes they sell here. Every tubed scooter I have owned couldn't go more than three months without a flat.

We are getting another bike soon. We won't even look at the ones with spokes.

We once bought a bike from a guy and one of the selling points was that it had mags. We found out later that he had tubes put in so it would be better. Stupid thing had a flat every few weeks. We got rid of the tubes and it never has a flat now. second set of tires already.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 2