Mahidol University sends scientists to Antarctica

webfact

Mahidol University sends scientists to Antarctica

23adc9f245fe45025481ceced1f85e2a.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Mahidol University has sent scientists to install cosmic ray measuring equipment in Antarctica in order to study the climate that affects all humans.

Mahidol University has announced its dispatch of scientists to Antarctica under the concept of “Aim Far: Research in Antarctica”, which is a collaboration of educational institutions both domestic and international, especially those in Australia that are providing financial support for this research.

Mr Alejandro Rivera Saiz, a lecturer at the Department of Physics, and Mr Pradiphat Muangha, a PhD student in Physics, left on their journey on January 11, 2020. They will install cosmic ray measuring equipment at Mawson station in Antarctica, to study the climate and build a collaborative network with the international cosmic ray and space physics research groups, that will help enhance the group’s capacity to carry out research in space physics in Thailand.

nnt.jpg
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, webfact said:

which is a collaboration of educational institutions both domestic and international, especially those in Australia that are providing financial support for this research.

...……...in return for relaxed visa requirements???

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I like the idea of freezing the balls off a brass monkey.

As I'm not native english ; sometimes I have to look for the signification of some phrases..

To freeze the balls off a brass monkey means it is very cold. "

Thank you bluesofa :thumbsup:

https://www.grammar-monster.com/sayings_proverbs/freeze_balls_off_brass_monkey.htm

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:
29 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I like the idea of freezing the balls off a brass monkey.

As I'm not native english ; sometimes I have to look for the signification of some phrases..

To freeze the balls off a brass monkey means it is very cold. "

Thank you bluesofa :thumbsup:

https://www.grammar-monster.com/sayings_proverbs/freeze_balls_off_brass_monkey.htm

Yes, sometimes it's not easy for non-native English speakers, sorry.

My point was making a joke about also freezing the balls off some of the puppet goverment monkeys, but in a different sense.

Edited by bluesofa

An old pal of mine used to work as a Cosmic Ray Technician for the Physics dept in our local university, he did a couple of trips to the Antarctic +/- 30 yrs ago installing (presumably) similar equipment. Said he thoroughly enjoyed the experience. To the Thais heading down south, go forth, enjoy the experience and pass on knowledge gained to as many fellow Thais as possible

• Like 1

3 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Good on them. I spent 18 straight months at McMurdo Station Antarctic 90-92. Saw a low of -81F. This is a once in a life time opportunity.

This is about saving the climate....not a free holiday for spoiled students who are not used to cold and might get sick and go home.

Thai better go to very warm places to do research, the outback from australia comes to mind.

• Sad 1

Good for them. The IPCC "consensus" has decreed with high degree of confidence that solar variations won’t influence the 21st century climate. However, there is a growing body of evidence to the contrary.

Hopefully, the Madihol researchers will make a meaningful contribution towards determining whether or not the official fixation with anthropogenic global warming is outdated and unsustainable.