Nyezhov Explores Bangkok

Nyezhov

So I can ride the new SkyTrain extension tomorrow and explore all around down there, yes?

Where the good food be down there? Anyone know? How bout those Seafood places in Bang Pu?

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The PM is having an opening ride in the morning, so don't expect public operation before lunch time.

Perfect. I dont have to wake up before noon then. I need all the beauty sleep I can muster. My aesthetician told me to try suspended animation, that might work.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

PM has been and gone.

Revenue (ok free) service starts at noon today.

Im headed there as soon as I'm done morning messing around. I think its a seafood dinner day. Regular service intervals?

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Allegedly trains every 10 minutes Samrong <=> Kheha

Close enough for government work. Free train, river sights, new area, lots of 7-11s, whats not to like! <deleted> me, even if they charged its great. Its better to be riding above the traffic than sitting in it. Congrats!

34 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Bins yes, understood. Signage, agreed, what is there at present is somewhat basic (and sometimes incorrect).

Views, difficult, you're not supposed to take photos on the stations although it's primarily intended to stop people making moves or doing fashion shoots. Also, the whole purpose of mass transit stations is to get people in, get their money and get rid of them on trains all as rapidly as possible. We don't want them clagging stuff up dawdling around, then we go and bung it all up with retail. TiT.

By signage I mean, like at Pak Nam (and I know it just opened) the way they have it at Asoke and others, perhaps a free stander pointing you to the direction of this "attraction" and that way. I assume that will happen in futuro.

I never thought of the picture taking aspect you raise. Plus the issues I guess of security.

Retail drives me nuts. Like at Sala Daeng, there is food and coffee and drink everywhere right outside the station, yet they have coffee shops and bakeries in the station. Meanwhile, like at Talat Phlu..and Krung Thonburi...nothing. You got to walk a mile to get a cup of joe. But I assume that has to do with traffic patterns, etc.

22 minutes ago, FarangryBirds said:

One question based on your pics... Was it the older trains you travelled on or did you get the newer ones (with reduced seating)?

It had seats iirc, I stood looking out the window though

• 1 year later...

I did Bang Pho to Bang O, yesterday, and walked to Bang Phlat, then returned to Bang Pho.  Nice outdoor foodcourt on the east side of the hospital..I had a nice meal for 45 across the street.  Good sidewalks, but that is a very busy street..might have a different vibe during the week.  The platform at Bang Phlat on the outbound, has some superb views of the Bangkok skyline.  Nothing earth shattering, but looks like an excellent place to walk, eat, and explore.  Ben in BKK for 18 months, and nobody beats the duck soup about 350 m north of the Bang Pho stairs.

57317133_2622554531107613_1459138980455907328_o.jpg

Edited by moontang

2 hours ago, moontang said:

I did Bang Pho to Bang O, yesterday, and walked to Bang Phlat, then returned to Bang Pho.  Nice outdoor foodcourt on the east side of the hospital..I had a nice meal for 45 across the street.  Good sidewalks, but that is a very busy street..might have a different vibe during the week.  The platform at Bang Phlat on the outbound, has some superb views of the Bangkok skyline.  Nothing earth shattering, but looks like an excellent place to walk, eat, and explore.  Ben in BKK for 18 months, and nobody beats the duck soup about 350 m north of the Bang Pho stairs.

57317133_2622554531107613_1459138980455907328_o.jpg

Oh dear, that looks heavenly! So many new places for the "best I ever had" posts and reviews! Im going to play too!

• Thanks 1

I did another blue MRT tour yesterday...of the three new stops across the river, I like the vibe at Bang O the best..found a great, cheap, family restaurant...nice and clean, too.  Food court at the hospital didn't look as good as some of the nurses...and you should see the outfits the office staff wear..8 inches above the knee...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What moontang above thinks is so special is not-one can find that about anywhere in greater BKK. Will probably be ruined if some crazy foodbloggers who are now able to give precise directions of how to get there discovers it and unleashes a few thousand of ´followers´ for just average khao moodaeng or whatever fishy with noodles.

I rode out to Lak Song today and for 100baht thereafter, was able to get a taxi and have a great time at the Khlong Lad Mayom floating market, which has expanded in size since I was out there last winter. The train makes it so easy to get to now, faster and cheaper if you are on the "downtown" side. Its a great market with some great food.

I also note that the giant buddha at Wat Paknam is almost finished. Thats a fabulous Wat. You can get there easily from Tha Pra station.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 8:43 PM, Nyezhov said:

I rode out to Lak Song today and for 100baht thereafter, was able to get a taxi and have a great time at the Khlong Lad Mayom floating market, which has expanded in size since I was out there last winter. The train makes it so easy to get to now, faster and cheaper if you are on the "downtown" side. Its a great market with some great food.

I also note that the giant buddha at Wat Paknam is almost finished. Thats a fabulous Wat. You can get there easily from Tha Pra station.

Who would have thought it, a Bangkok-centric foodie. I suppose after Buriram? you have opted for pusillanimity in food.

Met a Yank yesterday at the dental clinic, I could have sworn it was you. He could talk the hind leg off a camel. It was only the information he came from deep Texas that prevented me from reaching an incorrect conclusion.

30 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Who would have thought it, a Bangkok-centric foodie. I suppose after Buriram? you have opted for pusillanimity in food.

Met a Yank yesterday at the dental clinic, I could have sworn it was you. He could talk the hind leg off a camel. It was only the information he came from deep Texas that prevented me from reaching an incorrect conclusion.

The food was great in Buriram, I ate at this one place that was totally 5 star...in Buriram!

the coolest result of the new BTS/MRTs is that it exposes all of those little food gems in corners of BKK one normally wouldnt go because really, there is nothing there, except some good food and maybe a Wat. Its like when they opened up to Keha last year, go to Pak Nam...a cute riverside Wat, a great Seafood Restaurant, an Esplanade, a huge Seafood Wet/Market and a ferry across the River to another Wat and a little Island and a Fort too! . Before the BTS, it wasnt like I was saying , hey dude, lets schlep down Sukhumvit in the traffic for a walk on the river and a fish, ja?

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 8:57 AM, asanee said:

What moontang above thinks is so special is not-one can find that about anywhere in greater BKK. Will probably be ruined if some crazy foodbloggers who are now able to give precise directions of how to get there discovers it and unleashes a few thousand of ´followers´ for just average khao moodaeng or whatever fishy with noodles.

Did you ever wonder why you only have 119 likes with over 1300 posts?  I didn't say it was so special, but was glad to have a great meal or three at the standard price.  Those places are becoming endangered, especially if you eliminate the ones with dangerous hygiene.  Covered a big portion of lower Sukhumvit, yesterday, and not one place offered clean, cheap, good Thai food.  Gave up on T21 a few years ago.  There is a kow mahn gai place on 11-1, but it is average at best and while that does work it is not in the same league as cooked to order Thai food.  Can't wait to see photos of you and your partner's latte at So Lom.  Lol..

Edited by moontang

23 minutes ago, moontang said:

Covered a big portion of lower Sukhumvit, yesterday, and not one place offered clean, cheap, good Thai food.  Gave up on T21 a few years ago. 

Well dude, thats been the same for years. Im going to start running the lines next month after I get back from Cambodia hunting for yummys.

Ill tell ya though, get off the MRT at Wat Mangkorn and start eating because that is street gold around there

30 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Well dude, thats been the same for years. Im going to start running the lines next month after I get back from Cambodia hunting for yummys.

Ill tell ya though, get off the MRT at Wat Mangkorn and start eating because that is street gold around there

Couldn't even find a nice chicken leg for anywhere near fair price.  One clown was charging 40 for on leg, without the thigh.  Was a good fried chicken place across from cal-mex..charging 15 last month..went looking for them to no avail.  

1 buck for the squid and fifty cents for the beer in Sihanoukeville...will bet it has been bulldozed and ruined by Chinese, though.  Took me a few days to get acclimated in cambo..French bread, coke, and pomelo..saved me...bought a sausage that was more disgusting than anything I have ever consumed..I was considering Hanoi Grand Prix in April...

1011566_666969873332765_1559159072_n.jpg

Edited by moontang