Reports Of Threat To Assassinate Dalai Lama

camerata

Terror group's threat raises Dalai Lama alert

SECURITY surrounding the Dalai Lama has been tightened after reports of an attempt by the al-Qa'ida-linked terrorist organisation Lashkar-e-Toiba to assassinate the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader.

A three-tier security ring has been thrown around the 72-year-old Buddhist head, who lives at Dharamsala, in the Himalayan foothills, Indian police spokesman Prem Lal said.

All those approaching the exiled Tibetan chief will be closely watched by highly trained Tibetan security guards as well as heavily armed deployments of Indian police.

Visitors are being body-searched before being allowed to approach him.

The Dalai Lama is scheduled to make a widely anticipated 11-day visit to cities and regional centres across Australia in early June, making both free and ticketed appearances at public lectures, blessings and teaching sessions. Before that, he will visit the US.

Superintendent Lal said police had been alerted by central intelligence agencies to the reported plot by Lashkar-e-Toiba to kill the Dalai Lama "on the directions of a foreign organisation", which he declined to name, but is assumed to be al-Qa'ida.

In a recent document, Osama bin Laden denounced "pagan Buddhism" as part of his general attack on anything not Islamic.

The assassination threat picked up by Indian authorities is thought to be based on bin Laden's denunciation and the extremist jihadi movement's hatred for anything and anyone that is not Muslim.

Lashkar-e-Toiba is believed to be al-Qa'ida's agent in South Asia and has been involved in virtually every major terrorist attack in India.

Indian authorities recently heightened the security surrounding India's political leader, Sonia Gandhi, and members of her high-profile family following intelligence reports that they were on the extremist movement's hit list. Mrs Gandhi now travels the country in armed motorcades similar to those that carry the country's head of state, President Abdul Kalam.

The heavy security cordon thrown around the Dalai Lama at the Dharamsala exile where he has lived since fleeing Tibet is in sharp contrast to the normally relaxed atmosphere that pervades the town and is testimony of the extent to which Islamic terrorism is affecting even remote parts of the world.

Source: The Australian.

annica, dukkha, anatta

everything, everyone, no exceptions

Nice and pithy, but I'd go one further and be politically incorrect and say that anything having to do with Islam is death to Buddhism. They are the fundamental enemies of the Buddha's teaching, and the reason Buddhism died out in India after the Holocaust of their merciless slaughter of monks and nuns and their wanton destruction of Buddhist institutions of learning (for example, the razing of Nalanda monastery).

As Buddhists, we may not be inclined to harbor enemies, but still must recognize a disease where it exists and do what we can to resist it, lest it kill the entire organism: that disease is Islam, and it is the scourge of humanity, and they aim to kill all of us, according to their own scriptures and modern-day teachings! To be forewarned against those who would take our lives and wilfully destroy anything having to do with the Buddha-Dharma, even in this modern age (e.g. Bamiyan, the South of Thailand) is to be forearmed.

What about invasive China? Wouldn`t they have more interest in this? :o

I don't believe China is nearly as great a threat as Islam; the Chinese are too intrinsically capitalistic to care. And, the old Maoist philosphy has a limited shelf-life; Islam has shown itself to prosper (ideologically) in any age, and in any nation.

If you observe the demographics for Western Europe, the picure that emerges is that Islamic commmunities will begin to dominate (by birthrate alone) in 2050 or so. Consider the implications. The aim of Islam is dar Al Islam. Google that one to see what is in store for us.

Chinese culture still always finds a way to quietly seep in throughout Asia. One example, Tibet`s population has swelled enormously with the influx of Chinese immigrants over the last few decades. It`s a slow but sure process. The disappearance or crumbling of Buddhism there would surely ''help '' accelerate the process.

annica, dukkha, anatta

everything, everyone, no exceptions

Nice and pithy, but I'd go one further and be politically incorrect and say that anything having to do with Islam is death to Buddhism. They are the fundamental enemies of the Buddha's teaching, and the reason Buddhism died out in India after the Holocaust of their merciless slaughter of monks and nuns and their wanton destruction of Buddhist institutions of learning (for example, the razing of Nalanda monastery).

As Buddhists, we may not be inclined to harbor enemies, but still must recognize a disease where it exists and do what we can to resist it, lest it kill the entire organism: that disease is Islam, and it is the scourge of humanity, and they aim to kill all of us, according to their own scriptures and modern-day teachings! To be forewarned against those who would take our lives and wilfully destroy anything having to do with the Buddha-Dharma, even in this modern age (e.g. Bamiyan, the South of Thailand) is to be forearmed.

rikpa, by your logic all Buddhist monks would be enemies of Buddhism because one monk assassinated the Sri Lankan Prime Minister in 1959.

As Buddhists

I doubt you are a Buddhist.

Regards

Bankei

• 2 weeks later...
Bankei and rikpa, you're both valued contributors here, let's not let this thread degenerate into blaming/flaming, ok?

I also don't think it's useful to paint all of Islam as an 'enemy' of Buddhism.

Hi sabaijai, I am not interested in flaming, but it is useful to point out just how inimical to Buddhism Islam really is. Islam has a long, brutal, and sordid history with relation to Buddhism, and I see no point in pussyfooting around this issue. What Islamists have done to Buddhists is documented, historical fact. It is why Buddhism no longer exists in India (apart from Ambedkar's recent revival among the dalits). The Muslim invaders targeted all monks and nuns for extermination in India, and destroyed every institution of Buddhist learning there, **as a part of their ideology**. In this effort they succeeded wildly.

It was, in short, religio-ethnic cleansing, and to not confront this reality and call it for what it is, is to assent, by silence, to the sinister, overarching agenda of Islam, which is to convert the world for rule under "dar al Islam", by sword, if necessary. Buddhists are particularly singled out by Islam as idolaters, and accorded even more brutal treatment than the theistic religions as a result. This is no aberration, it is the red thread that runs through the entire history of Islam's contact with Buddhism.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rikpa

Interesting reply. I agree that some 'Islamists' have done some terrible things. But so have Buddhists. Does this mean they are all bad?

I believe you are a Tibetanist, so take the situation in Tibet prior to the Chinese invasion for example. The Chinese propagandists have published many things about the cruel treatment the Buddhists used to inflict to other Budhists there.

Or, maybe you think all Chinese people are Bad because the Chinese Government has invaded Tibet.

As for the Islamists wiping out Buddhism in India, how is it that Jainism and Brahmanism have survived while Buddhism was wiped out?

As for the Islamists wiping out Buddhism in India, how is it that Jainism and Brahmanism have survived while Buddhism was wiped out?

I was wondering the same thing. But off topic re the alleged plot to assassinate the DL. :o

• 3 weeks later...

To spite the fact that would create the first Buddhist martyr (which may be dangerous in itself) I think if anyone were to hurt the Dalia Lama it would out rage the world a lot more than 9/11 or the London bombings and every other pointless, ignorant thing terrorists have pulled off over the period of many years. There is no logical reason for killing the Dalia Lama none at all it would be pointless unless they are looking for more enemies. I honestly fail to imagine the brainwashing it takes to reach this level of ignorance and hate. I do not like snakes and on some level I fear them but when I see a snake on the road I stop my car so I do not do harm to it.

I recall one incident with a Tibetan master. I was not there but was told it by someone who was. It obviously had a profound effect on my friend, hence I remember it. the key point was that the master killed an insect that was encroaching on some work they were doing. When asked that buddhism was supposed to be against killing living beings, the master replied that 'some things are in the wrong place at the wrong time'. Swallow that one as a buddhist. Tibet is a harsh place and tibetans I've met seem to have a closer link to death than many others I've met, few of them are vegetarian, or they would have died long time ago. Let us also not forget the traditions of buddhist monk warriors.

It is not only Islam that is vehemently anti-buddhist, the catholic church launched a stinging attack on buddhism fairly recently - the previous pope. It is hatred born of fear. A plague on both their houses!

rych

What about invasive China? Wouldn`t they have more interest in this? :o

I don't believe China is nearly as great a threat as Islam; the Chinese are too intrinsically capitalistic to care. And, the old Maoist philosphy has a limited shelf-life; Islam has shown itself to prosper (ideologically) in any age, and in any nation.

If you observe the demographics for Western Europe, the picure that emerges is that Islamic commmunities will begin to dominate (by birthrate alone) in 2050 or so. Consider the implications. The aim of Islam is dar Al Islam. Google that one to see what is in store for us.

Sorry rikpa but I think your posts are a bit hysterical. Islam is similar to many other religions in their attempt to dominate. How many druids do you see living in Ireland or the UK?

I firmly believe that if individuals practice well then Buddhism is not under threat. The biggest threat to Buddhism comes from Buddhists. Any organisation such as al quaeda which is based around hate is eventually doomed to fail.

Of course I could be wrong.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I honestly think we need to educate ourselves more about islam, before commenting on this and that. Do not take other people's word for granted. You can visit www.jihadwatch.org/islam101 and arm yourself with a copy of quran, or even online quran if you don't have any. And see it for yourself, check if it is true?? Another usefull website is www.faithfreedom.org.

Most people think that all religion teach only love and peace. Do you know if it's the real case?

I know most Buddhists are the nicest and most compassionate people... but please read.

What you think it is maybe not as rosy as it is.

Think about your children, grandchildren, family, country...

bluestamp

Bankei and rikpa, you're both valued contributors here, let's not let this thread degenerate into blaming/flaming, ok?

I also don't think it's useful to paint all of Islam as an 'enemy' of Buddhism.

Hi sabaijai, I am not interested in flaming, but it is useful to point out just how inimical to Buddhism Islam really is. Islam has a long, brutal, and sordid history with relation to Buddhism, and I see no point in pussyfooting around this issue. What Islamists have done to Buddhists is documented, historical fact. It is why Buddhism no longer exists in India (apart from Ambedkar's recent revival among the dalits). The Muslim invaders targeted all monks and nuns for extermination in India, and destroyed every institution of Buddhist learning there, **as a part of their ideology**. In this effort they succeeded wildly.

It was, in short, religio-ethnic cleansing, and to not confront this reality and call it for what it is, is to assent, by silence, to the sinister, overarching agenda of Islam, which is to convert the world for rule under "dar al Islam", by sword, if necessary. Buddhists are particularly singled out by Islam as idolaters, and accorded even more brutal treatment than the theistic religions as a result. This is no aberration, it is the red thread that runs through the entire history of Islam's contact with Buddhism.

Apparently it's off-topic to reply to this.

No point killing the Dalai Lama really, he will just be born and come back again!

Could have been said by HH himself :D

Really! I like him even more now!

But its really not me or him, its Buddhism - its just so practical and logical!

I am just so glad that the Buddha gave up his life as a Prince and showed us the path to enlightenment.

:o