Students protest government’s inaction on PM2.5 dust problem

webfact

Students protest government’s inaction on PM2.5 dust problem

IMG_6816.jpg

Although the amount of dust in the atmosphere in Bangkok and its suburbs has reduced today, a group of students rallied in front of Government House this morning (Tuesday) to protest what they allege is complacency and inaction by the Government and related agencies in addressing the problem.

Wearing face masks, the students said that, although the Government declared the PM2.5 dust problem a national agenda on February 12th last year, the problem has returned this year and, so far, not a single state agency or the Government have announced any measures to address it.

They said that their demonstration today is to demand that the Government and state agencies concerned roll out contingency and long-term measures to cope with the dust, not just in Bangkok and its suburbs, but also in other provinces.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/students-protest-governments-inaction-on-pm2-5-dust-problem/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

Even today in many areas of Bangkok the pm 2.5 was above 57mg/m3. The pollution is still right there.

Well done for taking action and protesting the government's inaction.

Over 200 outside my house in CNX yesterday.  Fully expect it to go over 400 again when the height of the burning takes place. 

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:
17 hours ago, webfact said:

a group of students rallied in front of Government House this morning (Tuesday) to prot

I kinda think a rally is more than can fit round a Mcdonalds table for 4

I find that hard to swallow.

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Although the amount of dust in the atmosphere in Bangkok and its suburbs has reduced today, a group of students rallied in front of Government House this morning (Tuesday) to protest what they allege is complacency and inaction by the Government and related agencies in addressing the problem.

I commend the students for actually doing something about this problem.  Much more productive than a bunch of geezers on TV whining/whinging about it endlessly on this forum. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, johng said:
2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

If every student in every teaching facility nationwide had a day of protest maybe just maybe the PM would have to answer!

Maybe he would threaten to punch them all in the mouth ?

Wouldn't it be better if all the sutdents punched the PM in the mouth? Once each would be enough to ensure a result.

Edited by bluesofa
grammar
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I commend the students for actually doing something about this problem.  Much more productive than a bunch of geezers on TV whining/whinging about it endlessly on this forum. 

Well, we could all go and protest -- and then probably summarily get arrested, thrown in IDC, and eventually deported by Thai Immigration for violating some "no public demonstrations" law.

Freedom of speech and right to seek redress barely exists for Thais here. But it doesn't exist at all for foreigners who have no rights in this country.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Wouldn't it be better if all the sutdents punched the PM in the mouth? Once each would be enough to ensure a result.

We see enough violence in Thailand without needing students to join in the game.

As for a  few well intentioned but isolated protests they attract only the media but not a word from the PM.

But if all students of every school, college, University had a one-off day protest each and every month citing figures of air quality for their region outside their schools then the PM would be forced to do something until the PM2.5 is properly addressed.

Embarrassment goes a long way to getting things done in the land of status!

• Like 1

All too often, the Thai education ministry squanders much of its bloated annual budget on hare-brained projects of little benefit to students or the nation.

Here's the chance to make amends by dipping into its coffers and fitting all state schools with high-quality air purifiers. These could be programmed to switch on automatically whenever pollution levels exceed WHO (not indequate Thai) safety levels. Private educators should be forced to follow suit.

Yes, this would cost a shedload of baht. But surely it would be worth it to protect and preserve Thailand's most precious asset - its future generations.

Edited by Krataiboy

37 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Here's the chance to make amends by dipping into its coffers and fitting all state schools with high-quality air purifiers. These could be programmed to switch on automatically whenever pollution levels exceed WHO (not indequate Thai) safety levels. Private educators should be forced to follow suit.

The problem with that plan, apart from the fact that as you noted it would cost a sh**load of money, is that many/most of the upcountry schools seem to have been constructed with open windows for ventilation. So even if they had purifiers, they're going to serve no purpose in open-air classrooms.

Then of course, there's the NON maintentance issue, given that Thais never maintain anything properly. So after a few months to a year, the initial HEPA filters would all need replacing, which would cost even more money, and obviously isn't going to happen the way things work here. Etc etc etc.

Or, ala the failed/canceled all schoolkids get tablets program, they'd do a contract bid for the purifiers and award it to some Thai connected company with absolutely no air purifier experience/qualifications. The company and its brown envelopes would skim most of the money off the top, and then  they'd end up sourcing a few cheapo units from China that probably would only function as dehumidifiers...  And then end up calling off the entire project. :w00t:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The problem with that plan, apart from the fact that as you noted it would cost a sh**load of money, is that many/most of the upcountry schools seem to have been constructed with open windows for ventilation. So even if they had purifiers, they're going to serve no purpose in open-air classrooms.

Then of course, there's the NON maintentance issue, given that Thais never maintain anything properly. So after a few months to a year, the initial HEPA filters would all need replacing, which would cost even more money, and obviously isn't going to happen the way things work here. Etc etc etc.

Or, ala the failed/canceled all schoolkids get tablets program, they'd do a contract bid for the purifiers and award it to some Thai connected company with absolutely no air purifier experience/qualifications. The company and its brown envelopes would skim most of the money off the top, and then  they'd end up sourcing a few cheapo units from China that probably would only function as dehumidifiers...  And then end up calling off the entire project. :w00t:

I guess that's what they call negative feedback! But thanks, anyway.

Not something that is easy to solve. Too many diesel-powered vehicles on the road in Thailand. Diesel-powered vehicles in Malaysia are not popular because petrol prices are low here. Taxis in KL, for example, run on petrol and NGV. And inter-city trains in Malaysia have mostly been electrified. 

On 1/14/2020 at 5:50 PM, Dellboy218 said:

Over 200 outside my house in CNX yesterday.  Fully expect it to go over 400 again when the height of the burning takes place. 

I'm sure you are, but are you serious 200? 400!!!

Why are you still there? At 400 I'd quit my job and move myself and my wife south.

17 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

I guess that's what they call negative feedback! But thanks, anyway.

I've taught at half dozen schools. Even the ones in which the rooms are closed and using AC it won't work. 20-45 students coming and going minute by minute. The only thing that would help is if the AC was somehow ??? retrofit with filters. I don't see schools buying purifiers at all. AC in classes is long overdue as is consolidating small schools. A person can't focus in heat, to the contrary.

The north must be hellish for students and teachers now.  35-40 degree heat and pollution levels above 200.

Anyone remember when the schools closed? Haha. I predicted they'd never do that again.