100 US dollar bills authenticity check

One of the bigger money changing places may scan the bills for you through their machine.  Offer to pay some fee for them to run the bills through. 

Do go buy the paper color pen checker.  That at least shows that the paper is proper and is a good first check on the authenticity of the bills.  Can buy online from many sources.

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

One of the bigger money changing places may scan the bills for you through their machine.  Offer to pay some fee for them to run the bills through. 

Do go buy the paper color pen checker.  That at least shows that the paper is proper and is a good first check on the authenticity of the bills.  Can buy online from many sources.

New US Hundreds are easy I can do it by eye. I have a pen checker but rarely need it.

• Like 1

I bought US$250 at my local Twelve Victory shop in Khon Kaen at Central Plaza. They gave me 2 US$100 bills but I rejected one myself as not looking real. The other one was the only bill that Lao Immigration would accept...

Most of it was rejected (US$20s) by Lao Immigration when I tried to pay for visas to enter Lao. The nearby money exchange would not take them either.

My hotel took most of it fortunately but they also rejected a $20 note or 2 as well.

I was most unhappy with this place and wondered where they got the money in the first instance? Should I complain to the Thai Tourist police?

Will use a proper bank next time.

Iodine -- dilute it first -- does the same job as the pen. It leaves a dark spot if the bill is a counterfeit made of wood-based paper. Doesn't affect a genuine bill made of linen/cotton. (We're only talking US currency here.)

Edited by taxout