Papaya In Jerusalem

bina

help;

anon is all gungho to grow a papaya tree here in jerusalem in my backyard which doesnt get eastern sun, only western (afternoon) sun.

there are a few trees growing half an hour away in someone's yard, but their climate is more temperate then ours; and soil is different, as is rain fall.

any ideas on starting tree from seeds in 500-700 above sea level, cold winter- 2-17 celcius average (though relatively short, and no real frost, just occasional) and arid summer with cool nights (high level desert style).?

can it be done? how do we do the seeds if we buy a papaya fruit. i know that they are male/female/or bisexual but dont know what fruits are being sold and from where. its not a common tree here; people dont really use it so no one to ask.

we are now putting in large garden with local seeds and plants; a few thai import seeds;a nd asked my parents to order seeds from asian seed plant supplier in arizona so they will bring us some in july hopefully. (here, only one or two varieties of anything, although we are an agricultural society all the seeds go for export.)

are there any thai sights on compost making, etc? organics?

am using the goats/alpaca shit mixed with straw and hay frm the goat lyard as soil enricher (fresh/dried, not composted).

bina I’ve seen papaya growing and fruiting at 7,000 feet above sea level in the Yemen mountain ranges. There were heavy frosts and fog in winter and temps up to 45c in summer.

Hail storms did the most damage. Plant the trees close to your building as it helps protect the tree from frost and hail.

The trees were grown from seeds scooped from papaya bought in the local Thai shop. They were placed on newspaper to dry and then planted. They were growing in sandy soil that had plenty of goat poo (and thorn tree seeds :o ) mixed into it a month before planting.