Penelope Morton (repatriating 800k baht)

Hi,

I’am returning to Thailand after being in England for a few years. I have 800,000 baht in a fixed deposit. I’am going to return to my country, as I have not been well and think it is the best for me.. How easy will it be for me to get my money from the bank..

26 minutes ago, Pitza said:

I’am returning to Thailand after being in England for a few years. I have 800,000 baht in a fixed deposit. I’am going to return to my country, as I have not been well and think it is the best for me.. How easy will it be for me to get my money from the bank..

Probably as easy as going into the bank, presenting your passport and passbook and requesting a withdrawal.  Why would it be anymore difficult unless you're trying to get it before the end of the term?  

If your account has been dormant for over 10 years there is a possibility that the account balance could be transferred to Finance Ministry accounts but it is always available, you do not lose it.  This is not supposed to apply to fixed deposit accounts, though.

But the question will be answered if you call the bank, of course, and ask them...before you come here.  

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1

You can walk into your bank, close the account and get the balance in cash. Then take it to Vasu exchange right next to Nana BTS, change it into pounds sterling then take it with you on the plane, making sure you declare it at the airport. Shouldn't have a problem.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 7:39 PM, spiekerjozef said:

I nearly died that night

58 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Probably as easy as going into the bank, presenting your passport and passbook and requesting a withdrawal.  Why would it be anymore difficult unless you're trying to get it before the end of the term?  

If your account has been dormant for over 10 years there is a possibility that the account balance could be transferred to Finance Ministry accounts but it is always available, you do not lose it.  This is not supposed to apply to fixed deposit accounts, though.

But the question will be answered if you call the bank, of course, and ask them...before you come here.  

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Pitza said:

I have already telephoned bank, they said they cannot talk about fixed deposit accounts over the telephone. Please come into bank..

Well, I will see what happens when I return..

I don't think any bank in the world can refuse a customers request to close their account and return the money. But then again, Thailand always has some surprises up its sleeve.

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

if you do have on line banking just use it to transfer the full amount, know somebody who did it without any problem

Sounds easy. BUT. My Thai banking app doesn't allow international transfers. And if I try and do an international transfer in-branch, then they insist on seeing some kind of "invoice" as they call it which I obviously don't have. 

Sheryl knows about this.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mavideol said:

if you do have on line banking just use it to transfer the full amount, know somebody who did it without any problem

The person "you know" who did it without any problem clearly had the international transfer facility on his online banking, without that facility it is impossible to transfer funds out of Thailand online.

• Like 1