Best Thai Meals

p1p

I'm generally inclined to think that if a place is well frequented by the locals then that speaks volumes about it. Well in the 5 years that I've been going to the veggie society, I've yet to see it not teeming with customers. The noodle soup I can't speak for but the selection of other tasty fare is as extensive and of as high a quality as I've had anywhere. If you object to having to wash your own dishes then I fear you've missed the whole ethos of the place, in which case it probably isn't the best place for you. A strong emphasis on helping yourself so as to reduce costs probably explains why you found staff unhelpful.

There are special days throughout the year when all food is free and a sign saying that they'll feed you if you haven't got a satang to your name on ANY day!

I have to admit that if I lived right next door, I would eat there all the time, simply because it is cheap and is healthy. I just don't understand why a "rich" Farang would go out of one's way to go there from a distance away.

Maybe just to get a break from the whole "rich" Farang mentality of which we are all guilty from time to time. There's also the fact that if you don't eat meat, it's a wicked place to meet like-minded characters for breakfast.

IMO, the best vegetarian food in Chiang Mai is at the "Thai Orchid" (I think that's the name) across from Aden health food store. It's about 500 meters west of American Consulate entrance and about 200 meters east of Chaiyaphum Rd. on Vitchayanon Rd.

If it the one right on the corner, I really enjoy it too.

I do have one BIG complain though. Every day, they only have a few dishes that are mi pet and they usually sell out long before any other dishes, so you have to get there about 11 am for any choice at all unless you like spicy.

Most of the customers are Thai and it is obvious that they prefer the non-spicy dishes also, so why not prepare more of them and in bigger portions, so one doesn't have to go there so early?

The reason that I don't eat there more often is that I like to eat later than that, but I don't like the taste of the spices that they use. :o

sometime i forget how to eat ,

and forget how good it feel to eat good .

eating good don't have to be expensive ,

and eating good food is like an adventure , to try new food and finding it special is all part of the fun .

well some don't have the stomach to try while some is least comfort trying new stuff ..

some of the best food i tasted . is during my trip riding around chiangmai and stopping for a meal when i am hungry .

and to my surpise alot of the well set up places do not have good food .

why do i said so .

There are a few kinda food in my view ..

one that full your stomach ,

one that can be sold for profit

and one that is done repeating the same process but forgetting what is meant to make good food for people who love the good food .

FOOD .

is not just something you eat to fill your stpmach . you can jolly eat junk and your stomach still get filled .

The art of eating is to taste the natural part of the food , even can food can be done nicely .

food need not be fancy or expensive ,

alot of time the cook just really care less about what he cook and just wnana have a finish product that he can sell .

some is age old recipe which need not be reinvented .

like the many street store selling some nice selection .

sad to say the 10 baht chicken rice i used to like so much . the taste had change so much and the chicken don't taset as good . also there stop selling the egg cos the price of egg went up and to match it with their 10-15 baht marketing style egg had be discarded from the menu -

also the 5baht beef noodle had move or stop selling . the one near iconplaza .. any idea where is it now or if it still selling .

alot of the food is overrated . and in fact when i really taste it . some is not even worth the trip .

i am very picky when you want me to est good food .

but i can be simple when i am just out to fill my hungry stomach .

seriously speaking . ok food there is alot nice food some but really good food . only a hand full .

sad to say i seldom comply all the place where i find the Good food .

cos sometime , the way the waitress serve the food , the way there put the spoon , the kinda music , the kinda sauce the kinda lighting will affect your mood to eat good food .

basically to eat at a noisy place will weaken your sence of taste .

some of the better food i had ate is on the street . not at fancy resturant or expensive din out .

Food is simple . keep ir fresh . and also control your stock . don't over buy something when it cheap , or make it too fancy . the basic taste of salt and sugar sometime is enough ,

to mix it with the right sauce is also importance . notthing beat the freshness of natural .

--------

some people like to eat food dripping in super spicy stuff or when eat8ing japanese food . dipping their raw fish into chuck of wasabi ..

this is really a waste of food . if you love wasabi so much . or is afriad of raw fish and have to dip it in wasabi to eat it ..

why order it in the first place .

there is no special rule to how to eat something . eat it the best way you think it taste best .

but do find out what you like more . the wabasi or the spicy chilli . cos this way you can save alot of money .. just eating the sauce. instead of ordering expensive dishes .

Best thai meal .. there is really no such thing as BEST food . only what your prefer and like ..

plus too much of anything would really make it not that special ..

i do have a fren who love green curry so much that he stay in thailand cos of green curry whhahah a

right Oz ?

whhaha

well to name something nice .

" Suchi with double egg. " is a rich . top with omelet egg. and on top of the egg. is topped with a herbal and spicy mix stir frie with minced pork .. is mild and not that spicy .. and it go very well with thai style grass juice .

the place that i had it is - Tanin market . - at the game alley go right to the end - where you have a old cinema - turn right .. and you see a small t junction is right at the junction beside this snooker shed .

good luck

and hope you enjoy your food then just eating

I'm generally inclined to think that if a place is well frequented by the locals then that speaks volumes about it. Well in the 5 years that I've been going to the veggie society, I've yet to see it not teeming with customers. The noodle soup I can't speak for but the selection of other tasty fare is as extensive and of as high a quality as I've had anywhere. If you object to having to wash your own dishes then I fear you've missed the whole ethos of the place, in which case it probably isn't the best place for you. A strong emphasis on helping yourself so as to reduce costs probably explains why you found staff unhelpful.

There are special days throughout the year when all food is free and a sign saying that they'll feed you if you haven't got a satang to your name on ANY day!

I've been there a couple of times and it really wasn't that busy.

I didn't miss the ethos of the place, honest, but the prices really weren't that low to justify having to do your own washing up or serve yourself! (I didn't object, I was just wisecracking. :o ) But I really don't rate the food that much in comparison to the other restaurants. I live 15 kms outside the city, on the way to Doi Saket, and regularly drive 40 mins across the city to the khao soy shop on Sutthep Rd. I wouldn't make the effort for anything that the Veg Soc has on offer.

Anyway, I applaud the Vegetarian Society for bringing vegetarian food to the notice of the locals, especially on the days when they're giving it away for free. I just wouldn't eat there myself, free or otherwise.

I agree with p1p about Khun Chern buffet. Great value and wonderful food full of Northern specialities. Nice surroundings too. Now that's a place that's always teeming, with locals and farangs.

MCL

• 2 weeks later...

One excellent restaurant I have eaten at several times in the last three months or so is Nattagarn (ณัฐกาญจน์). Nothing much to look at, but the (Thai) food is cooked extremely well and has some of the best flavour of any I have had in Chiang Mai.

It is on Charoen Muang road, east of the train station opposite the entrance to Wat Nong Pa Klang Road.

Four of us just had a huge meal there, including five seafood dishes plus others and beer and the bill came to 440 Baht. For the sheer quality of the food and the obvious care or love put into its preparation and cooking, this has to be one of the bargains of the city.

To the best of my knowledge/recollection, there is no English spoken, or in the menu.

I've been there a couple of times and it really wasn't that busy.

I didn't miss the ethos of the place, honest, but the prices really weren't that low to justify having to do your own washing up or serve yourself! (I didn't object, I was just wisecracking. :o ) But I really don't rate the food that much in comparison to the other restaurants. I live 15 kms outside the city, on the way to Doi Saket, and regularly drive 40 mins across the city to the khao soy shop on Sutthep Rd. I wouldn't make the effort for anything that the Veg Soc has on offer.

Anyway, I applaud the Vegetarian Society for bringing vegetarian food to the notice of the locals, especially on the days when they're giving it away for free. I just wouldn't eat there myself, free or otherwise.

I agree with p1p about Khun Chern buffet. Great value and wonderful food full of Northern specialities. Nice surroundings too. Now that's a place that's always teeming, with locals and farangs.

MCL

I would rank Khun Chern as one of the worst vegetarian restaurants in the city. For some reason a lot of farangs go there but the food is mostly tasteless and it's clear they skimp on quality in every dish. :D One of the members here ( I forget who) created a website as guide to vegetarian restaurants. I'll look for it.

edit: found it quick. It's from "Suthep Steve":

http://www.chiangmaivegetarian.com/index.p...715ede5847676ce

Edited by lannarebirth

About twice a week for lunch I'll have a 30 baht bowl of beef noodle at Rote Yiam Beef Noodle.

It's on Moon Muang Road before the North corner near Soi 9/DVD store. There are at least two other Rote Yiam Beef Noodle shops in CM that I know of but this one is by far the busiest, cleanest and consistently tastiest. I recommend the thin noodles with braised beef. Engish menu is available upon request. Open for lunch only.

Actually, I usually have two bowls at 60 baht...does that still count? :o