Crossing into Malaysia with a Thai motorcycle

jazzper

Hi,

I would like to go to Malaysia on my Honda CB300f. The motorbike is in my name. I have the green book and paid taxes & insurance for a year. I'm in the country on a visa exemption of 30 days and have a flight back to the Netherlands in May. Based on what I've read on this forum I think that the Sadao boarder is the one I should take, preferably not in the weekend.

I found this post from 2015 and this post from 2011.

In the post from 2015 in comment #10 recom273 says:

PS - Got to your local LTO with your book before you leave, and ask for 'blair tabian' - they will translate the green book, saving time at the border.

Implying that I don't need a translation of my green book. My bike is registered in Mae Hong Son and I'm in Prachuap Khiri Khan now so it's too late for getting the translation there, just in case it turns out to be necessary. I will try to get the translation here, but based on what I've read on this forum I expect that it can only be done in Mae Hong Son for me.

Do I need the translation of my green book?

Any other things that are useful to know or that I need?

Thanks for the help!

Yes, you will need a translation of the green book. You can get it done at any LTD. 
You will also need to purchase insurance to cover you while in Malaysia. You will also need to have your registration number displayed in a manner legible to Malaysian authorities ie anglicised alphabets. You can do both of these at an insurance agent shop just after the Sadao Custom House, at a block of shop houses on your left. All these should set you back about 1,000 - 1,200 baht. 
Just before Malaysian immigration, you will have to go into the Malaysian JPJ (Road Transport Dept) to get a permit. This permit is free. You will have to show them your bike license, the translation of the green book and the insurance. They may or may not inspect your bike. Make sure you don’t have an overly loud pipe. 
Hope this helps (and that I haven’t forgotten anything essential lol)

• Thanks 2