Bangkok Bank - proof of 12 months international transfers (changed?)

20 minutes ago, pmarlin said:

You can save a little money by picking up your credit advice letters more often. I think you can get up to three months of them free. Some people stop in a get one each time a FTT is made in to their account. Also,  keep your bank book current and you  may not need a printed out statement. My branch produces my credit advice off the information on the bank book. I'll be getting my letter from Bangkok Bank in March from my branch and will see how they do it.

Wasn't so much about the money TBH.  Just the difference between the old 12 line summary letter they used to produce and the 13 page document it's been replaced with.  Just so that folks are aware when they ask for the old style document and show the copies posted here that it has changed.

7 hours ago, SooKee said:

I can't help thinking that this might be a way that the Bank has come up with to get some income generation going. 

You mean the banks may have to forfeit their legal status  as public charities? 

Edited by Suradit69
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, SooKee said:

if folks take the copy summary letter posted in several places on TV to Bangkok Bank to try and get the same document they may well find that it's no longer available AND that there is now a fee for it

Correct, that summary letter no longer works at our IO.  They want a computerized printout of the entirety of the past year's activities (in the relevant account), which will show all 12 monthly foreign deposits, along with everything else.  Our Bkk Bank branch charges B200.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

So you're re-posting the same thread that was posted less than 24 hours ago (albeit under a different category)? And your point? A bank making money off charging fees? That's what you're complaining about? Banks charging fees for services is nothing new, neither in the West nor in Thailand.  If you can't even afford the bank fees, then retirement in Thailand may not be for you.

Do you know what a Credit advise is?

Depending how you transfer your money every month,you might not need a Credit advise. Mostly people using TransferWise needs it to prove that every transfer is foreign. 

So,if you don't need the Credit advise,why pay for it? And 600 baht is actually expensive when a bank statement at Bangkok Bank costs 200 baht and the bank letter 100 baht. Why pay 100% more if you don't need it?

On 1/24/2020 at 8:15 AM, ubonjoe said:

If your transfers show they came from abroad with the FTT code to Bangkok Bank you don't need the credit advices.

Ubonjoe,

I found out that if you don't update your passbook "frequently" I use my passbook account only infrequently that Bangkok bank lumps multiple transactions together and posts the "net" amount.  So if you had three monthly transfers and a couple of withdrawals only one entry in the passbook for the net. 

3 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Ubonjoe,

I found out that if you don't update your passbook "frequently" I use my passbook account only infrequently that Bangkok bank lumps multiple transactions together and posts the "net" amount.  So if you had three monthly transfers and a couple of withdrawals only one entry in the passbook for the net. 

I have a prompter in my Email calendar to regularly update the passbook,

5 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

So if you had three monthly transfers and a couple of withdrawals only one entry in the passbook for the net. 

You can get a bank statements that will show everything. On my Bangkok bank statement ii shows Foreign T/T.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get a bank statements that will show everything. On my Bangkok bank statement ii shows Foreign T/T.

ubonjoe

Yes I ordered it.  However I hope that immigration does not give me grief about my passbook entries not being an exact duplicate of the monthly statement.  I do have my Transferwise details which very clearly will match the bank statement. 

3 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

However I hope that immigration does not give me grief about my passbook entries not being an exact duplicate of the monthly statement.

I can't see why it would be a problem with immigration. You will giving them the original statements.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, streetlite said:

I always use online verification from pension and SS. Can I just print a copy of these or does it need to be an official document direct from the agency?

They should accept printouts done online. It is just to prove the source and they can compare the amounts shown in baht on your bank statements.

2 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Ubonjoe,

You need to update your bank at least once a month. Let's say you have 2 transfers, one in May 24 and one in June 24, if not updating your book every month those 2 transfers  can be divided into 3 transfers, and the bank code at Bangkok Bank for each of those transfers will be CMB = "Combined No-Book Transaction". On top of that, in the bank book those CMB transactions won't show the correct date. Now you might need a Credit advise if you used TransferWise and the transfers needs to show up as foreign = FTT.

14 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You need to update your bank at least once a month.

I don't think that is really needed. A bank statement is the most important proof of income that immigration wants and they will show every transaction.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

if not updating your book every month those 2 transfers  can be divided into 3 transfers, and the bank code at Bangkok Bank for each of those transfers will be CMB = "Combined No-Book Transaction". On top of that, in the bank book those CMB transactions won't show the correct date.

Max69xi  you are exactly correct.  Mine show as one transaction with code CMB.  Now immigration should be able to tie the CMB to the bank statements but who knows if they will take the time to do that.  It would seem to me.  I have my U.S. bank statement showing the amount deducted from Transferwise, the Transferwise detail showing each deposit converted from USD to THB to Bangkok bank, and then each deposit in THB that matches the Transferwise.  The thing that will not match will be the savings book. 

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think that is really needed. A bank statement is the most important proof of income that immigration wants and they will show every transaction.

You're correct, and that's why I said you "might" need a Credit advise, but it's not a perfect world. Last year there were several reports about a Credit advise needed at some immigration offices (especially the first 6 months). Hopefully, every immigration office will learn that a bank statement is good enough.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Max69xi  you are exactly correct.  Mine show as one transaction with code CMB.  Now immigration should be able to tie the CMB to the bank statements but who knows if they will take the time to do that.  It would seem to me.  I have my U.S. bank statement showing the amount deducted from Transferwise, the Transferwise detail showing each deposit converted from USD to THB to Bangkok bank, and then each deposit in THB that matches the Transferwise.  The thing that will not match will be the savings book. 

I think your documents will be ok (this year), but the first 6 months last year there were some that needed a Credit advise at their local immigration office just because of the mismatch in the bank book. A 12 months bank statement should be enough. 

Edited by Max69xl

On 1/24/2020 at 8:24 AM, DannyCarlton said:

Since the new rules were incepted the requirement has been the same. 12 months worth of bank statements showing a total of 12 FTT transfers of 65k baht or above. One per month and, theoretically, not varying by more than a few calander days from each other. Also a bank letter, issued on the day, for account verification. It's also been widely reported, at Jomtien, that evidence that the source of income i.e. pension must be provided. I renewed in December and showed copies of 3 months bank statements from my UK bank showing said money coming into my account with a codified source (private pension). I got the impression that my application would have been accepted without this.

The rub is the 12 months of bank statements from Bangkok Bank. Branches can only provide a maximum of 6 months back statements on the day. I exhaustively researched this and it is a fact. The only way to obtain 12 months of back statements from Bangkok Bank is for your branch to apply to head office for them which takes 7 days and costs 200 baht.

This year, I intend to apply for 6 months of back statements from my branch in June, then another 6 months in December.

I went with six, the cover showing 12 months of deposits and their total for a year, updated bankbook, and a name and phone number to a mgr at Bangkok bank central office prepared to tell immigration they have complied with applicable Thai law.

21 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Ubonjoe,

21 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have a prompter in my Email calendar to regularly update the passbook,

Passbooks are next to useless in any event where transactions printed out on a machine whose ribbon should have been changed aeons ago are subsequently overprinted. A fairly common occurrence in my experience.

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Passbooks are next to useless in any event where transactions printed out on a machine whose ribbon should have been changed aeons ago are subsequently overprinted. A fairly common occurrence in my experience.

From the original post of this topic "I was shown another document which is what they said it had changed to as of some time last year.  This consists of a single page summary letter showing the total sum transferred over the year as FTT along with 12 credit advice slips attached detailing every transaction. " The OP was telling us about Bangkok Bank using a new way of proving income for immigration use and nothing more. All the other stuff posted after the OP is confusing and not helpful 

My BBL QFT letter is addressed to: Commander Immigration Bureau, National Police Agency, and the description box checked says "Money transferred from abroad and sold that currency to the bank as follows:"

Many have said this form letter has origins in the Condominium Source Fund requirements.

I'd make copies of the relevant bankbook(s) detailing the QFTs.

In my case original bankbook(s) were requested, and followed my application through the multi-person review. These were returned with my passport.

If you want to be one of the first to complete the process at the L desks, I'd recommend arriving CW ~ 06:00 for the pre-pre-pre-queue for tickets handed out at 07:00, the re-queue for the pre-pre-queue at 08:00, with entry ~ 08:20 for the desk queue. This should result in a ticket of L10 or lower. There is a walking/running track on level 4 around the massive atrium, if you want to get a bit of exercise (between 07:00 and 08:00).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, OJAS said:

They use 'ribbons'......are you sure? 

On 1/26/2020 at 8:41 AM, WalkingOrders said:

I went with six, the cover showing 12 months of deposits and their total for a year, updated bankbook, and a name and phone number to a mgr at Bangkok bank central office prepared to tell immigration they have complied with applicable Thai law.

My Bangkok Bank branch in Pattaya issues 12 months bank statements. They made a draft early last year and then asked immigration if they accepted the statement, and they did. It has been posted here at TV. 

21 hours ago, pontious said:

@SooKee

Can you post a picture of the new letter. Less your personal details obviously.

Yes I'll scan it later today.

On 1/27/2020 at 6:55 AM, mtls2005 said:

My BBL QFT letter is addressed to: Commander Immigration Bureau, National Police Agency, and the description box checked says "Money transferred from abroad and sold that currency to the bank as follows:"

Many have said this form letter has origins in the Condominium Source Fund requirements.

I'd make copies of the relevant bankbook(s) detailing the QFTs.

In my case original bankbook(s) were requested, and followed my application through the multi-person review. These were returned with my passport.

If you want to be one of the first to complete the process at the L desks, I'd recommend arriving CW ~ 06:00 for the pre-pre-pre-queue for tickets handed out at 07:00, the re-queue for the pre-pre-queue at 08:00, with entry ~ 08:20 for the desk queue. This should result in a ticket of L10 or lower. There is a walking/running track on level 4 around the massive atrium, if you want to get a bit of exercise (between 07:00 and 08:00).

Yes I've scanned the bank book pages and compiled a single sheet with 4 scans on it and with the FTT transactions highlighted and numbered 1-12, will correspondingly mark up the statement when I get it later (I find having one sheet with 4 'copies' (photos) per page, such as previous extensions, passport details, stamp and TM6 dramatically cuts the numbers of sheets of paper, from 12 down to 3 in my case.  I did wonder if the IO was going to reject them the first time I did it for not being full size copies but she said easier for them.  Done it 3 times now and this will be the 4th).

Normally I turn up really early at CW but after last year's 'crack of dawn' trip I wondered about the value of it.  I was all done with the pre-queue stuff by 7 having turned up at 06:30 then sat around waiting for them to open (the queue system seems to work well until folks get inside the main door then it's a mad scramble to the service desks which weren't well organised the last time).  Having got my L2 ticket I sat and waited and at around 10:00 am I got chatting to a guy who was next to me and just 3 numbers behind me.  He'd turned up at 09:15, no dawn trek, no queueing outside when he arrived and looked like he would be done and dusted around by 10:45 at the rate they were going.  Biggest pain is the queue for the re-entry permit (I need multiple so the airport is not an option) which if you time it wrong you could get caught by the one hour lunch break.  That said, though I'd rather wait an hour over lunch and arrive at CW at 9:15 than arrive at 6 and sit around for 2.5 hours waiting for them to open.  Still not decided whether to risk it LOL, last year the numbers seemed to be well down on previous years, maybe even more so this year so a later turn up might work out, being the tail end of Chinese New Year may also be a benefit with those who celebrate it being more interested in that than trips to CW. 

Edited by SooKee

This is what the current letter summarising 12 months of foreign transfers that is issued by Bangkok Bank looks like:

TV Image.png

It doesn't actually list the transfers in GBP and THB.  This has happened because for two transfers I used Bangkok Bank (London) which actually arrive at BKK Bank as GBP as opposed to the rest which were sent by Transferwise and arrived as THB, albeit all FTT.

Edited by SooKee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SooKee said:

This is what the current letter summarising 12 months of foreign transfers that is issued by Bangkok Bank looks like:

TV Image.png

It doesn't actually list the transfers in GBP and THB.  This has happened because for two transfers I used Bangkok Bank (London) which actually arrive at BKK Bank as GBP as opposed to the rest which were sent by Transferwise and arrived as THB, albeit all FTT.

I guess this bank letter comes from Bangkok Bank on Silom Road in BKK?

The last letter I saw came from Bangkok Banks Jomtien branch and didn't look like yours.