Bangkok Bank - proof of 12 months international transfers (changed?)

I posted a thread under the banking section about this but am conscious that folks with Bangkok Bank accounts using them for their proof of international transfers for Extensions based on income might not see it, mostly I look at the Banking section for issues about the banks or accounts.  Anyway, upshot is, I went to Bangkok Bank yesterday at Silom armed with a copy of the summary letter (that shows 12 - 13 x FTT transfers) posted several times on TV hoping to order one as they take a few days to prepare.  Was told by staff and a manager that they no longer issue that letter in that format.  Full details are in this thread:

• Like 1

I think the important part is what will Bangkok Bank provide that Immigration might be willing to accept proving 12 monthly FTT 65K deposits.  I doubt they want 12 credit advice documents.  Time will tell...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mojaco said:

I think the important part is what will Bangkok Bank provide that Immigration might be willing to accept proving 12 monthly FTT 65K deposits.  I doubt they want 12 credit advice documents.  Time will tell...

Yep I was quite surprised. I'll go the the local branch today and ask about the, what I would think would be the much easier, summary letter and see if they will do it.  I can't help thinking that this might be a way that the Bank has come up with to get some income generation going.  Only thing that made me think again is that she had a pile of previous applications (I've noticed a few times that the banks here do two complete copies of any documents you ask for, one for them and one for you) and had Immigration been rejecting them, the customers would likely have been back to complain.

4 minutes ago, SooKee said:
9 minutes ago, mojaco said:

Yep I was quite surprised. I'll go the the local branch today and ask about the, what I would think would be the much easier, summary letter and see if they will do it.  I can't help thinking that this might be a way that the Bank has come up with to get some income generation going.  Only thing that made me think again is that she had a pile of previous applications (I've noticed a few times that the banks here do two complete copies of any documents you ask for, one for them and one for you) and had Immigration been rejecting them, the customers would likely have been back to complain.

When I made my renewal back in August, I relied solely on credit advice notes. (TransferWise and FETs) Those along with bank statements and the standard bank letter was acceptable by immigration.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

When I made my renewal back in August, I relied solely on credit advice notes. (TransferWise and FETs) Those along with bank statements and the standard bank letter was acceptable by immigration.

Interesting.  There were numerous posts about the various options that might be accepted, good to see that this was. Until I decide for sure whether I want to switch to the 800K deposit method I might grab a credit advice each month I go to update the bank book and just submit them along with a statement and bank letter if I'm still doing income based.

Since the new rules were incepted the requirement has been the same. 12 months worth of bank statements showing a total of 12 FTT transfers of 65k baht or above. One per month and, theoretically, not varying by more than a few calander days from each other. Also a bank letter, issued on the day, for account verification. It's also been widely reported, at Jomtien, that evidence that the source of income i.e. pension must be provided. I renewed in December and showed copies of 3 months bank statements from my UK bank showing said money coming into my account with a codified source (private pension). I got the impression that my application would have been accepted without this.

The rub is the 12 months of bank statements from Bangkok Bank. Branches can only provide a maximum of 6 months back statements on the day. I exhaustively researched this and it is a fact. The only way to obtain 12 months of back statements from Bangkok Bank is for your branch to apply to head office for them which takes 7 days and costs 200 baht.

This year, I intend to apply for 6 months of back statements from my branch in June, then another 6 months in December.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If your transfers show they came from abroad with the FTT code to Bangkok Bank you don't need the credit advices.

When I applied for my extension at immigration here I only needed bank statements and a standard bank letter for proof. And of course my bank book and copies of it showing the FTT code.

The detailed letter showing the transfers is redundant IMO if you also have bank statements showing they came from abroad.

Did you need to prove the source of your income, i.e. pensions?

• Like 1

For my successful ext stay/ret-income on/about 18 Sep 2019 at CW, I obtained a letter from BBL/Silom on 13 Sep 2019, while I waited, which summarized my qualifying foreign transfers (QFT) for the previous period (nine months in my case as I only started QFTs in Jan/2019). It is a very simple letter, one single line summarizing the QFTs: period, currency (USD), totals both foreign currency and THB (gross, before fees).

The BBL rep stated, when I raised a concern, that this was the "new" acceptable format for Immigration, and it was acceptable in my case. Such a letter is supported by the associated Credit Advice/Receipts (CARs; best obtained monthly IMO), passbook copies, original passbook(s), account ownership letter (issued the previous day in my case) and same day balance forward update in current passbook.

I also included a simple Excel printout detailing the nine (9) QFTs which was retained.

I was not asked for "proof" of the source of the "income", though I had that on hand if requested.

edited to add: I did obtain statements from BBL, one six month (jan-jun) and one three month (jul-sep ~ 12th, after my most recent QFT). I did not provide these, nor were the requested.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If your transfers show they came from abroad with the FTT code to Bangkok Bank you don't need the credit advices.

When I applied for my extension at immigration here I only needed bank statements and a standard bank letter for proof. And of course my bank book and copies of it showing the FTT code.

The detailed letter showing the transfers is redundant IMO if you also have bank statements showing they came from abroad.

That's good to know!  I guess since the changes folks have tried different options and banks have come up with different solutions to try and provide customers with what they think they might need.  All gets a bit of a blur to try and work out what will / won't be accepted, preferably with the minimum of effort.

I did see a post a way back suggesting the balance showing in the bank letter needs to be the same as that showing in the bank book on the day you go.  Any idea if that is a requirement still.  Do you have a redacted version of the 'standard bank letter' that you can post or point me towards?  Finally, the standard letter, is that a on the day service that can be done at any branch?  If so I might even pick it up from the branch at Immigration while I'm sat waiting.

12 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Since the new rules were incepted the requirement has been the same. 12 months worth of bank statements showing a total of 12 FTT transfers of 65k baht or above. One per month and, theoretically, not varying by more than a few calander days from each other. Also a bank letter, issued on the day, for account verification. It's also been widely reported, at Jomtien, that evidence that the source of income i.e. pension must be provided. I renewed in December and showed copies of 3 months bank statements from my UK bank showing said money coming into my account with a codified source (private pension). I got the impression that my application would have been accepted without this.

The rub is the 12 months of bank statements from Bangkok Bank. Branches can only provide a maximum of 6 months back statements on the day. I exhaustively researched this and it is a fact. The only way to obtain 12 months of back statements from Bangkok Bank is for your branch to apply to head office for them which takes 7 days and costs 200 baht.

This year, I intend to apply for 6 months of back statements from my branch in June, then another 6 months in December.

Actually I wondered about this.  I actually have 6 months of statements from the first half of last year, just wondered if they would have been rejected if I'd used them along with a 6 month print from yesterday on the basis that the print date isn't the same.  As to the time they take, I guess banks / branches vary.  I was able to use Bangkok Bank's HQ in Silom where my account is held.  I ordered 12 months and they said two working days.  

Had my window to get the extension not been so small I'd have likely tried it on with two lots of 6 month statements rather than one of 12.  When I apply I'll try with just the 12 months statement, letter and bank book and see if they ask for the 12 month FTT letter and credit advices.  If not, that's another document off the list.

• Like 1

I did see a post a way back suggesting the balance showing in the bank letter needs to be the same as that showing in the bank book on the day you go.

In my case, the account ownership letter (which shows the balance on the date the letter was issued) did not match my same day B/F and passbook, as I made a withdrawal in the interim. This was not an issue.

5 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Finally, the standard letter, is that a on the day service that can be done at any branch?

Not sure which "letter" you're referring to here? I think the BBL CW branch can issue an account ownership letter. I wouldn't rely on them being able to issue a QFT letter. I'd get the letter from BBL HQ/333 Silom a few days before, then assemble that with the CARs, and other bank info previously detailed in my post above.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

For my successful ext stay/ret-income on/about 18 Sep 2019 at CW, I obtained a letter from BBL/Silom on 13 Sep 2019, while I waited, which summarized my qualifying foreign transfers (QFT) for the previous period (nine months in my case as I only started QFTs in Jan/2019). It is a very simple letter, one single line summarizing the QFTs: period, currency (USD), totals both foreign currency and THB (gross, before fees).

The BBL rep stated, when I raised a concern, that this was the "new" acceptable format for Immigration, and it was acceptable in my case. Such a letter is supported by the associated Credit Advice/Receipts (CARs; best obtained monthly IMO), passbook copies, original passbook(s), account ownership letter (issued the previous day in my case) and same day balance forward update in current passbook.

I also included a simple Excel printout detailing the nine (9) QFTs which was retained.

I was not asked for "proof" of the source of the "income", though I had that on hand if requested.

edited to add: I did obtain statements from BBL, one six month (jan-jun) and one three month (jul-sep ~ 12th, after my most recent QFT). I did not provide these, nor were the requested.

Yes the letter at para 1 was the one I tried to get.  Maybe I made a mistake in going to Customer Services on the second floor.  I even showed them the letter, and to the manager and got the 'computer says no' response ????

3 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

In my case, the account ownership letter (which shows the balance on the date the letter was issued) did not match my same day B/F and passbook, as I made a withdrawal in the interim. This was not an issue.

Not sure which "letter" you're referring to here? I think the BBL CW branch can issue an account ownership letter. I wouldn't rely on them being able to issue a QFT letter. I'd get the letter from BBL HQ/333 Silom a few days before, then assemble that with the CARs, and other bank info previously detailed in my post above.

Yes it's the account ownership letter I'm after.  I'll try and get one before just in case.  Just surprised that the HQ at Silom seemed to be dead set (whilst still trying to be very helpful) on making the QFT letter as complicated as possible unless it really has changed (e.g. end of 2019).  Trouble is you can never tell what is policy and what is branch / staff / manager interpretation.  This was the same branch you went to though so you'd expect them to get it right, as I say, even showed the letter to three different people including a manager saying I didn't really want 13 sheets of paper, just a one sheet letter ????

21 minutes ago, SooKee said:

That's good to know!  I guess since the changes folks have tried different options and banks have come up with different solutions to try and provide customers with what they think they might need.  All gets a bit of a blur to try and work out what will / won't be accepted, preferably with the minimum of effort.

It seems to depend upon the office you have to use. Chaeng Wattana was the first office wanting the letter showing the the transfers and the then Chiang Mai and Pattaya.

I showed the bank branch here a example of the detailed letter and they did not know about it and said no. Also the standard bank letter and they said yes.

21 minutes ago, SooKee said:

I did see a post a way back suggesting the balance showing in the bank letter needs to be the same as that showing in the bank book on the day you go.  Any idea if that is a requirement still.  Do you have a redacted version of the 'standard bank letter' that you can post or point me towards?  Finally, the standard letter, is that a on the day service that can be done at any branch?  If so I might even pick it up from the branch at Immigration while I'm sat waiting.

My 12 month bank statement was about a month old but when I went to the bank the day before I went to immigration I got a one month statement to show my most recent transfer and the standard bank letter. My bank book showing over 2 years of transfers was not updated on thay day but it was updated a few days before when I went to the bank to move the latest transfer to another account.

Any branch should be able to do the standard letter. Example here: bank letter.pdf

• Thanks 1

Earlier versions of the BBL QFT letters detailed each individual QFT, on a separate line. So twelve (12) QFTs would involve twelve lines on the letter. Those sorts of letters have been posted here and elsewhere.

This changed sometime mid-2019 I guess.

I too showed a sample of these old letters, but the BBL rep. said that there was a new format which is acceptable for Imm.

The new BBL QFT letter simply shows one, single line summarizing all of the QFTs for the period requested.

The new style letter worked for me. I realize that this was ~ 4 months ago and things may have changed.

I got the acount ownership letter at my branch, while I waited, the day before I went to CW/Imm.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

Earlier versions of the BBL QFT letters detailed each individual QFT, on a separate line. So twelve (12) QFTs would involve twelve lines on the letter. Those sorts of letters have been posted here and elsewhere.

This changed sometime mid-2019 I guess.

I too showed a sample of these old letters, but the BBL rep. said that there was a new format which is acceptable for Imm.

The new BBL QFT letter simply shows one, single line summarizing all of the QFTs for the period requested.

The new style letter worked for me. I realize that this was ~ 4 months ago and things may have changed.

Ah.  Maybe getting there in terms of what the Bangkok Bank changes actually are.  The first page of the document they will provide me with contains a single line summary of the total transfers I have done to BKK Bank for 12 months.  The charge for that is 100 baht.  To support that it seems that they provide (I'm assuming unless you say you don't want them) 12 months of credit advice slips at a cost of 500.  With a 12 month statement and a bank book with each entry showing FTT I guess the credit advices could well not be needed.

• Like 1

I listed the BBL documents I assembled in post #12.

The QFT letter was 100 THB. The account ownership letter was also 100 THB. Each statement (6 mos and 3 mos) cost 100 THB, done at my branch while I waited. Statements were not offered, nor asked for. I'll likely skip this bit next year.

I obtain the CAR at my branch each month, a few days after the transfer is credited, for free, while I wait.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

This may not be true.  The foreign deposit letter that I just received from BKK Bank shows for each foreign deposit the amount of thai baht and the amount of the foreign currency, USD in my case.  Maybe some of the TM people want to see the dollar amount.  Beats me why anyone would.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I listed the BBL documents I assembled in post #12.

The QFT letter was 100 THB. The account ownership letter was also 100 THB. Each statement (6 mos and 3 mos) cost 100 THB, done at my branch while I waited. Statements were not offered, nor asked for. I'll likely skip this bit next year.

I obtain the CAR at my branch each month, a few days after the transfer is credited, for free, while I wait.

Yeah, I saw what you assembled, was just noting the difference with what they want to provide me.  Looks like they just bolted on the 12 months Credit Advices given I said (as I thought at the time) I needed to show each transfer given they are no longer doing 12 line / per transaction QFT letters.  

I will also get the CAR each month from now on and a statement every 6 months.  Doing it that way, if I'm still doing income, will keep everything needed from the bank (QFT and Account Ownership) to a same day service and will remove the need to go to Silom.

4 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Maybe some of the TM people want to see the dollar amount.  Beats me why anyone would.

All I can say is my office did not want that letter. I see no reason for the amount to be shown in the foreign currency that was transfered. Some people might have their transfers coming in baht already.

• Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

All I can say is my office did not want that letter. I see no reason for the amount to be shown in the foreign currency that was transfered. Some people might have their transfers coming in baht already.

That's a very good point!  You can transfer from overseas and qualify but still send in baht if you exchange in the sending country.

The problem in all this, for me anyway, is that there doesn't seem to be a clear set of rules by which you can guarantee getting your extension using the income method. You might turn up on the day, get refused, then find yourself you no visa. Until things are clearer i am still going to stick with 800k in the bank.

Edited by Henryford
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Henryford said:

The problem in all this, for me anyway, is that there doesn't seem to be a clear set of rules by which you can guarantee getting your extension using the income method.

I think most immigration offices can give you their requirements now.

When I did mine I was not sure what was needed so just put together about everything I had read about on this forum that some offices were asking for.

I did it in early August so I might of been one of the first ones doing it since many people had proof of income from their embassy that might of been good good until the end of June so they could of done their extensions due in July early and used one.

When I was waiting for my number to be called one the officers asked about my application and said I needed a year of transfers and replied that I had two years to show. He certainly seemed surprised I had that many.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Henryford said:

The problem in all this, for me anyway, is that there doesn't seem to be a clear set of rules by which you can guarantee getting your extension using the income method. You might turn up on the day, get refused, then find yourself you no visa. Until things are clearer i and still going to stick with 800k in the bank.

The rules are clear and simple. It's individual IOs interpretation of the rules that complicates matters. It's as new to them as it is to us andf hopefully, given time, they'll all sing from the same songsheeet.

For me, an example of this is Jomtien's requirement of proof that your income originates from a pension. Nothing in the rules to support this requirement and not common across all IOs. Particularly strange as Jomtien IO is usually one of the more "relaxed" IOs.

I've had a couple of reasons to suspect that Jomtien try to gently nudge you in the direction of visa agents as their Christmas fund has been reduced since the new rules came into force.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

The rules are clear and simple. It's individual IOs interpretation of the rules that complicates matters. It's as new to them as it is to us andf hopefully, given time, they'll all sing from the same songsheeet.

For me, an example of this is Jomtien's requirement of proof that your income originates from a pension. Nothing in the rules to support this requirement and not common across all IOs. Particularly strange as Jomtien IO is usually one of the more "relaxed" IOs.

I've had a couple of reasons to suspect that Jomtien try to gently nudge you in the direction of visa agents as their Christmas fund has been reduced since the new rules came into force.

Indeed.  It's policy interpretation that puts a spanner in the works.  Immigration and bank.  Problem with the banks is there's not even a policy to go from (at least not that we are privy to).  

• Like 1

You can save a little money by picking up your credit advice letters more often. I think you can get up to three months of them free. Some people stop in a get one each time a FTT is made in to their account. Also,  keep your bank book current and you  may not need a printed out statement. My branch produces my credit advice off the information on the bank book. I'll be getting my letter from Bangkok Bank in March from my branch and will see how they do it.

Edited by pmarlin
spelling