Permanent Residence - New Passport

I will be obtaining a new passport in London next month through the one day quick service.When returning to Bangkok is it just a matter of showing the Airport Immigration Officer the old passport with the multiple re-entry? Presumably he/she will stamp the white book as well as the new passport ? Then I presume a trip to CW is needed to transfer the multiple re-entry to the new passport and amend the white book/red book as necessary? Is there a time limit to get all this done?

All pretty obvious I suppose but forewarned is forearmed.If some kind person could advise that would be most helpful.

The old passport will be invalidated, so presumably all current visas in there are likewise invalidated.  

My embassy has info on their website that Thai immigration requires a certificate from the embassy in order to transfer the visa and any departure/entry stamps into the new passport. Such certificate is available against a fee. 

If you get a new passport via the embassy here in Thailand then you would take that and both passports to immigration and they transfer. 

If you obtain a new passport abroad then the situation should be similar? It might screw your 1-day planning, but perhaps you check with your own embassy and/or the Thai embassy in London?

Not sure what you mean with white/red book. My PR is blue and contains the same visa as in the passport. Immigration transfer both. My Police Alien book is red, this has nothing to do with visa and nothing needs doing. But you still need sufficient validity in there when transferring the visa in passport & PR.

Hope that helps. Good luck. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, fcbkk said:

The old passport will be invalidated, so presumably all current visas in there are likewise invalidated.

Wrong info. Everything that is still valid remains valid after a passport is canceled.

7 minutes ago, fcbkk said:

My embassy has info on their website that Thai immigration requires a certificate from the embassy in order to transfer the visa and any departure/entry stamps into the new passport. Such certificate is available against a fee. 

Those requirements are for people on a temporary permit to stay in the country. The OP has permanent residency so they do not apply in his case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Wrong info. Everything that is still valid remains valid after a passport is canceled.

Those requirements are for people on a temporary permit to stay in the country. The OP has permanent residency so they do not apply in his case.

Thanks for the correction. You are right that valid visa are not invalidated per se - if it is transferred into the new passport it would be the same visa number and same remaining validity - but whether such visa inside an old invalidated passport is accepted by immigration is not a given. That is what the OP needs to be aware of and find out. The embassy info does not distinguish between temporary permits and PR holders and perhaps the process is simpler or cheaper for PR holders, but i suspect the visa needs to transferred still. 

2 minutes ago, fcbkk said:

You are right that valid visa are not invalidated per se - if it is transferred into the new passport it would be the same visa number and same remaining validity - but whether such visa inside an old invalidated passport is accepted by immigration is not a given.

A visa from an embassy or consulate would not be transfered but would still remain valid for entry to the country and would be used by showing both passports on entry to the country. For example a multiple entry non immigrant visa valid for one year would require showing both passports on entry until it expired.

For the non quota immigrant visa issued by immigration for PR holders it would be transferred by immigration and if a new passport was obtained outside the country it would require showing the visa and re-entry permit in the old passport the first time a person entered the country.

On 1/24/2020 at 3:25 PM, jayboy said:

I will be obtaining a new passport in London next month through the one day quick service.When returning to Bangkok is it just a matter of showing the Airport Immigration Officer the old passport with the multiple re-entry? Presumably he/she will stamp the white book as well as the new passport ? Then I presume a trip to CW is needed to transfer the multiple re-entry to the new passport and amend the white book/red book as necessary? Is there a time limit to get all this done?

All pretty obvious I suppose but forewarned is forearmed.If some kind person could advise that would be most helpful.

Make sure only back (blank pages and back cover) of the old passport are punched through but not the visa/information pages. At entry, show both passports. On arrival card put your "old" non-quota immigrant visa number. Show both passports. You'll get a stamp in new passport that will state the page of old passport where the visa was. You do NOT need to transfer the visa nor would they do it. They would simply ask you to show both passports when leaving or returning to Thailand. Next time you get non-quota visa, it will be put into your new passport and you no longer need to carry both.

I've just gone through the same at Chaeng Watthana immigration, and even filled out the forms to visit officer just to be told stamp can't be transferred, just use both passports. That was a good month ago.

Edited by tomazbodner

14 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Make sure only back (blank pages and back cover) of the old passport are punched through but not the visa/information pages. At entry, show both passports. On arrival card put your "old" non-quota immigrant visa number. Show both passports. You'll get a stamp in new passport that will state the page of old passport where the visa was. You do NOT need to transfer the visa nor would they do it. They would simply ask you to show both passports when leaving or returning to Thailand. Next time you get non-quota visa, it will be put into your new passport and you no longer need to carry both.

I've just gone through the same at Chaeng Watthana immigration, and even filled out the forms to visit officer just to be told stamp can't be transferred, just use both passports. That was a good month ago.

Many thanks.Very helpful.I'm beginning to think however that it might be more straightforward - though I'm not a great fan of VFS - to get my new passport in Thailand and then get a new non-quota immigrant visa stamped in it. Did you ask the British passport office people not to punch the visa/information pages?

24 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Was that told to you at the PR section or some other desk? 

That sounds like the standard answer for those on visas issued by an embassy or consulate.

1 minute ago, jayboy said:

Many thanks.Very helpful.I'm beginning to think however that it might be more straightforward - though I'm not a great fan of VFS - to get my new passport in Thailand and then get a new non-quota immigrant visa stamped in it. Did you ask the British passport office people not to punch the visa/information pages?

I'm not British, but when I got to the passport office, after receiving the new passport, I did ask the officer to only punch through the blank pages at the back. But she knew what to do already anyway. As I have PR in Thailand they would not send to my home anyhow, I had to pick up new passport in person, and at that time destroy the old one - that's when I asked for only blank pages to be punched through.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Was that told to you at the PR section or some other desk? 

That sounds like the standard answer for those on visas issued by an embassy or consulate.

I got a form in the office before getting to big hall in CW for transferring visa. Went to get queue ticket, woman was confused, asking me for TM6 which of course I didn't have. After some confused conversation and seeing the blue book, she was like... AH! Teee yuuu! And gave me F1 or something like that queue. Went to the counter, waited my turn and handed both passports and a form... That's where officer sitting there told me that it can't be done. Use both passports. Next time I apply for non-quota visa I'll get it stamped in new passport and no longer need to bring the old one. Same counter person (but at another time) also told me that when changing address, the blue book doesn't need to be updated (or can't be updated, rather), and new address will be entered when book is full and new one issued.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That seems to of been the desk for having stamps transferred for those on a temporary permit to stay not PR.

Actually that is the counter where I have received my residence certificate (the blue book) to the left of the corridor where the interview and fingerprinting happened. Not the E1 where extensions of under consideration was done or E2 where non-quota visas and endorsements are issued. Pretty sure it's for PR only.