On Line Banking

martynsnowman

can any1 help with the safest way for on line banking .. will it be safe to use my laptop i,ll be bringing with me , or safer to use my wifes land line home computer or is it safe to use the the computer shops you see dotted around the place , i be needing to move money from 1 account to another my main account will be in england ...

thanks for any help in new to computers simplisity will help also ..

martyn ..udon thani.

can any1 help with the safest way for on line banking .. will it be safe to use my laptop i,ll be bringing with me , or safer to use my wifes land line home computer or is it safe to use the the computer shops you see dotted around the place , i be needing to move money from 1 account to another my main account will be in england ...

thanks for any help in new to computers simplisity will help also ..

martyn ..udon thani.

Hi Martyn,

I live in Pattaya and do online banking with both Thai ans USA banks. No problems.

I do this from both my home computer and my laptop, which I take with me when I

travel around Thailand. Connections to banks use SSL(SECURE) encryption and should have no problems

except for connectivity issues you may experience while in Thailand. Some days the connectivity

to the USA is very bad.

Gary

martyn - Utilizing SSL encryption, your safest (but not 100% perfect) setup would be in your home with a hard-wired ISP connection, running through a two-way firewall.

If your on any type network, especially wireless, your much more vunerable, as it is technically possible for someone to "issue" a fake SSL certificate, thus allowing them to intercept your unencrypted data during login. (When was the last time you double-clicked that little SSL "padlock", and verified the site you were connected to, was actually the true site issuer?)

I would strongly recommend you DO NOT use public WiFi connections (ie: internet cafe's, etc.) for important tranactions, except in an emergency.

Talk to your bank's security department and ask them for suggestion on maintaining security. They may be able to offer additional login security features and/or a seperate "internet account" into which you can transfer funds (while at home), for access while traveling.

good luck

waldwolf

Only use a computer for online banking if you know for sure which software is installed on it, i.e. only you will and can install software on it. Never use computers in computer shops or internet cafes. There might be sniffers, spyware or keylogger installed. Take your own laptop to these places and ask if you can connect it to the network. I did this myself and saw others doing this. It is also more convenient, you are used to your computer.

The same might be true for the computer of your wife. I would connect my own laptop to the land line.

Only use a computer for online banking if you know for sure which software is installed on it, i.e. only you will and can install software on it. Never use computers in computer shops or internet cafes. There might be sniffers, spyware or keylogger installed. Take your own laptop to these places and ask if you can connect it to the network. I did this myself and saw others doing this. It is also more convenient, you are used to your computer.

The same might be true for the computer of your wife. I would connect my own laptop to the land line.

If in doubt ... use a dial up connection ... even if it is slow.

Naka.