Retirement Visa Obtained Today

Just wanted to share with those about to go through the process of obtaining the retirement visa, so my experience might be of some assistance.

Went to Suan Plu at around 13.15, and obtained the ticket for the queue in Room 101. Waited until 15.40 to be called. Everything processed smoothly in about 15 minutes. Given more than one year extension of stay - (from today) - until 22 May 2008, as my last entry was up until 22 May 2007. Had the requisite documentation, including the bank letter detailing two 3 month time deposits, which matured today, which was in joint names with my partner, but totalling over THB1.6m (for two applicants).

Unfortunately the process took so long, (the waiting) that I had to leave to get to another appointment, so will have to revisit to obtain the re-entry permits. Other than the delay, everything very smooth. I think there may be a more clever way of judging the waiting queue - such as going away for 2 hours, or starting earlier, or much later in the day.

Edited by samtam

Was this your initial retirement extension of stay application -- or a renewal? If initial, it's interesting they used your "until" date (May 22) as the beginning date, as usually they use the last "admitted on" date as the beginning of the extension period. And if a renewal, well, nice they let you renew 48 days early, when normally it's only up to 30 days before expiration.

This was my first retirement extension of stay, so they used the "until" 22 May.

Normally for renwal, you can renew 30 days prior to expiry?

Also re the 90 reporting, what's the leeway on this? (Viz can you do it 7 days prior, and 7 days after?)

The 90 day reporting can be done plus/minus 7 but it is best to do a day or two early.

You permitted to stay is normally from the day before your last entry - so if you had entered on February 24, 2007 your permitted to stay for a first extension would have been until 23 February 2008. Succeeding extensions of stay would be until the February date.

Thanks lopburi re 90 day reporting.

They obviously gave me the extension of stay from the last date of my last permitted to stay date. That is arrival on 24/2/07 until 22/5/07 and they have given the one year "retirement" visa extension until 22/5/08.

When I renew the extension of stay in one year can I do it up to 30 days before the expiry?

Today I obtained the re-entry permit, which took 1 hour. The queuing system works, but initially it's a bit confusing to know how the numbering works - 700 (lowest) to 799 (highest) followed by a repeat on a different display board next to the counter where you deposit your passport, paperwork and fee. The more confusing and shambolic because of the large numbers of people milling around, (sometimes obscuring the numbers board, which is positioned too low).

My inclination is to try and get someone to do it for me next year, as despite it stating that you have to apply in person there did appear to messenger-types doing this on behalf of people. Even if that's not possible in its entirety, I'm inclined to pay someone to queue and call me when the numbers are approaching.

Anyway, less time consuming and costly than visa runs.

I did notice a section, (completely empty and unmanned) for online registering. Is that a joy to come, or one tried and abandonned?

Edited by samtam

There is a pre-book system for re-entry permits where you fill out form and email day before you visit and just present photo and fee and get your stamp. So that might be what you noticed.

Yes the normal time to renew is between 3 and 4 week prior to expiration.