Extending 30 day vignette for UK

Has anyone had experience with extending their vignette for entry to the UK? We found ourselves in a situation where my wife had her application approved and the clock started clicking whilst waiting for a decision on our two boys. I started looking at our options but didn't get far as I understand one needs to resubmit the TB certificate which had expired.

This meant we were looking at getting her into country first and then going back for the boys. Fortunately their passports came through, with days to spare and we managed to get everyone in on time.

But I am trying to get everything onto a simple web site as a reference and would be interested in feedback from anyone who has been there and done that recently.

Unfortunatly the UKVI Website is difficult to navigate, I'm not sure if it's designed to be so, or it's just incompetence.

Tony M posted some advice about renewing the vingette some years ago, I'm afraid that I haven't checked that it's still the correct procedure.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/819041-the-new-uk-visa-process-for-settlement-applications/?tab=comments#comment-9402574