Greta Thunberg seeks to trademark her name to stem misuse

webfact

2 hours ago, curlylekan said:

She goes to countries that already espouse her value and have the same idea on how to fight climate change - even the USA has closed 50 coal plants under Trump, yet China continues to open more coal plants, never closes down plants it states that it has closed down, and supposedly because of the large amount of pollution from China, it makes the work that western countries do, null-in-void, so I'm confused how she is so great, other than she is very good at whining/complaining and starting more doomsday wars

Nonsense. The Chinese ARE shutting down old coal fired power stations and opening high efficiency low emission plants. They are tackling pollution without destroying their economy.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

an ice age is coming

Just how ill-informed can you get

We are already in an ice age and have been for thousands of years.

The facts we are dealing with now are man-made climate change.

You're not even on the start line on this topic.

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, curlylekan said:

She goes to countries that already espouse her value and have the same idea on how to fight climate change - even the USA has closed 50 coal plants under Trump, yet China continues to open more coal plants, never closes down plants it states that it has closed down, and supposedly because of the large amount of pollution from China, it makes the work that western countries do, null-in-void, so I'm confused how she is so great, other than she is very good at whining/complaining and starting more doomsday wars

Spot on.

Pity there are too many with blinkers on, but may they be forgiven, cose they know not what they are doing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Like PM Morrison in Oz? Waving lumps of coal around in parliament and promoting the values of coal power????

Australia? - small fry. Think of China, India and Bangladesh.

Take those blinker off.

Also if Japan can burn Australian coal practically pollution free, so can and should Ozzies. 

Stop feeling guilty, it helps nothing and only makes you to feel miserable.

If you rely want to do something positive, switch your fridge off and start drinking warm beer.

Small step but shows your resolve. 

Enjoy. :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Nonsense. The Chinese ARE shutting down old coal fired power stations and opening high efficiency low emission plants. They are tackling pollution without destroying their economy.

I would love to believe you, but thousands wouldn't...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, faraday said:

Yup, they'll be a line of vegan clothing or something else, which will make her a shedload of money.

She won't keep any of it though.....

Her parents will instead.

I bet there’s a Greta Doll on the way ????

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, faraday said:

Yup, they'll be a line of vegan clothing or something else, which will make her a shedload of money.

She won't keep any of it though.....

Her parents will instead.

And what is your point? apart from airing your own inadequacies, that is.

• Haha 1

for the uneducated who think we aren't in an ice age...

At least five major ice ages have occurred throughout Earth's history: the earliest was over 2 billion years ago, and the most recent one began approximately 3 million years ago and continues today (yes, we live in an ice age!). Currently, we are in a warm interglacial that began about 11,000 years ago.

That fact that you in some way think that this negates the scientific facts of man made global warming just shows how little you understand.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Neither are you, try watching, listening or reading Patric Moore a real scientist in this field and former founder of Green Peace. The world needs more CO2 not less and humans contribute less than 1% to any effect however the sun sits there at 97%. The sad thing is the people who follow the new religion would sooner quote a comic book artist. 

You are completely off track - sadly there is no telling some. You cling to one misunderstood theory and think it justifies your own erroneous prejudices.

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2020 at 3:41 PM, emptypockets said:

Not according to Al-Jezzera and BBC news, but maybe you're ight, just maybe according to the Chinese (state) news they are doing everything possible to fight this. China's economy started going downhill once they tried to lose their reliance on coal. As a result, they went back and even increased their reliance on coal, opening up many new coal plants in 2019. I really don't have faith in the Chinese government doing much positive for climate action, other than rhetoric. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/ajimpact/china-plans-coal-power-projects-globally-190919081115665.html - Of the 400 companies worldwide planning to expand coal operations, 161 are Chinese, environmental groups report.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/12/carbon-emissions-rise-4-percent-china-191212110347746.html - Demand created by China's wealthy middle class is being blamed for a rise in pollution in the country. 

And while the West goes down, China's emission's continue to rise, making the net worldwide above zero. 

There are plenty more similar articles. In fact, Al Jazzera played something the other day about a coal plant that the Chinese government stated they closed but when the media asked the workers about it, the workers stated that the coal plant was never closed.

Again, I still have little faith in what the Chinese government states.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

for the uneducated who think we aren't in an ice age...

At least five major ice ages have occurred throughout Earth's history: the earliest was over 2 billion years ago, and the most recent one began approximately 3 million years ago and continues today (yes, we live in an ice age!). Currently, we are in a warm interglacial that began about 11,000 years ago.

That fact that you in some way think that this negates the scientific facts of man made global warming just shows how little you understand.

according NASA - and somehow I find it difficult to believe that NASA scientists are biased.

Please read:

https://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/environment/item/30214-nasa-sees-climate-cooling-trend-thanks-to-low-sun-activity

https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/upsDownsGlobalWarming.html

Edited by Tulak

A really remarkable and inspiring achievement for young Greta. Awarded 6 times in 2019 including Young person peace prize, Times Person of the year and nominated for Noble Peace Prize. She even refused the environment award that carried a US52,000 prize. Her life will be inspiration for all young and old. We need environment warriors like Greta as the doomsday clock edged closer to midnight. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Rebel news Keane Bexter. You kidding?

I'm more interested in the content rather than the platform. Tarring and feathering the platform and/or the speaker seems to be the preferred MO of one group to stifle the other & i'm surprized at how often they get away with it. Of course if MSM were as balanced and impartial as they once were none of this would be necessary.

I don't want to get unduly drawn into this debate but have never really swallowed this nonsence.

Edited by evadgib

22 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I'm more interested in the content rather than the platform. Tarring and feathering the platform and/or the speaker seems to be the preferred MO of one group to stifle the other & i'm surprized at how often they get away with it. Of course if MSM were as balanced and impartial as they once were none of this would be necessary.

I don't want to get unduly drawn into this debate but have never really swallowed this nonsence.

You have the right to chose your belief. There are reasons why I showed disbelief of any Rebel News content. As starter, Rebel was founded by Ezra Levant, a climate denier who once interned by Trump’s fervent ally Charles Koch Foundation. Keane Bexte stalked Greta and hounded her until her dad has to call in the police. Bexte circulated her address and personal details for malicious intention. There was an ill personal agenda that Rebel News was pursuing to discredit Greta.

You may chose to accept or discard these reasons. There are enough serious climate change phenomenons that are evidently clear for me to accept that climate change besides the proliferation of nuclear weapons will move the world closer to doomsday. 

4 minutes ago, faraday said:

"the proliferation of nuclear weapons will move the world closer to doomsday"

Eric, that debate, finished 30 years ago.

Maybe in your denier state of mind. 

The Clock's original setting in 1947 was seven minutes to midnight. It has been set backward and forward 24 times since then, the largest-ever number of minutes to midnight being 17 (in 1991), and the smallest 100 seconds (1 minute and 40 seconds) in January 2020.

• Haha 1