Japanese Partner Moving To Thailand

TenDreams

Hi all,

My Japanese partner will be joining me in BKK in a couple of months, just wondered if there are any Japanese users on ThaiVisa (or anyone else) who may know anything about Japanese working in BKK (opportunities/visa issues/etc)? No specific questions really, just after any general tips.

She is currently an English teacher at a private language school and has been the head of her prefecture for over a year. She is fluent in English, fabulous with people, especially children and was a model for some time back in the UK and Japan. Although she has many skills and talents, she doesn't have a degree.

I'm also hoping she will have opportunities for making friends and contacts, especially with some fellow Japanese. So if anyone out there is in a similiar boat, please drop me a line!

(I haven't moved down to BKK yet myself, otherwise I might already have some answers to these questions... :o )

Cheers.

You say she is currently an English teacher at a private language school, i presume then she is not living in Japan as you also stated she does not have a degree? If she is in Japan and telling you she is working as a teacher without a degree then she is lying to you.

I have known her for over 5 years, lived with her (in Japan) for 3 of those, been to her school on a number of occassions, I think I can say I know her pretty well. She is not lying to me.

You say she is currently an English teacher at a private language school, i presume then she is not living in Japan as you also stated she does not have a degree? If she is in Japan and telling you she is working as a teacher without a degree then she is lying to you.

I have known her for over 5 years, lived with her (in Japan) for 3 of those, been to her school on a number of occassions, I think I can say I know her pretty well. She is not lying to me.

In that case, if you realy love her, i can only suggest you tell her to stay in her job in Japan as she will never get another one like it without a university degree.

P.S. Are you sure she is not a teachers assistant rather than a teacher?

In that case, if you realy love her, i can only suggest you tell her to stay in her job in Japan as she will never get another one like it without a university degree.

P.S. Are you sure she is not a teachers assistant rather than a teacher?

The job is stifling her. She's been wanting to leave for ages but until now, hasn't been able to. She's not looking for a better job, just a change, a break, and a getaway from the Japanese work ethic.

Yeah she is the head teacher in her ken.

Then if that's the case she could start by going to the Japanese centre on Soi Asoke, there are also plenty of Japanese companys who will hire Japanese nationals within Thailand, however this may be out of the question if she is looking to leave her counties work ethic behind when she leaves Japan.

She may also find the discrimination she will find here hard to deal with, other Japanese may well look down on her when they see she has a white boyfriend. (Presuming your not Asian)