Visas comparison.

olfu

Retired US citizen here.

As I travel often trying to find country for retirement I started paying attention that governments treat me differently for whatever reason.

I already was in Florida--best and cheapest place in universe--till I was healthy. But then I realized I still interested in female species for specific reason so Manila and Pattaya became favored as governments didn't care what I was busy with there.

Then I realized other factors involved like: my age, my income, my expenses, personal preferences, crime rates, medical expenses,  my impression of country, unexpected revolutions, reasonable expectations etc.

For example Russia charge me 200$ for 1 month visa--ok, you never see me again, India charge me 70$ so I visited couple times till I realized they have to pay me if they wanna see my ugly face. So I tried Dominican Republic--no restrictions, no public transportation and garbage and beggars everywhere--ok, Columbus didn't do good job. Then came Costa Rica--Americans welcomed but round trip ticket must be present and personal impression was not positive at all. To make long story short after visiting another 30+ countries I figured out I don't wanna retire anywhere I already have place for retirement and just wanna travel for fun as my money limited.

Yes, that's main kick--money.

Your experience and answer welcomed.

• Like 2

Mindanao is basically the last good place in Asia, unless after 30 years there are some mysterious paradise hideouts somewhere? Thailand REALLY <deleted> me off about 15 years ago already...never been back...But Mindanao getting better by the day...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, khunPer said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKxetKTJmIbwFUmMlPXS-

North american or in general ALL white women (canadian, america, european, etc)  Add a lot of time, plus feminaze alpha female attitude and you will be running to the nearest asian women.  Asian women are the hottest women that hold up both in looks and personality regardless of age. 

• Like 2

On 2/1/2020 at 1:46 AM, Why Me said:

He gave the answer already

except that it is an answer in absolute terms ..
We know nothing about the level of this limit;
Does he live on the same level of equality as Jack Ma, Marc Zuckerberg or that of a guy or a girl who has retired close to absolute zero?
He would have to tell us more ...

From my many trips to Asia, Eastern Europe, I had deduced that for a guy like me who has no big income (1200 euros of monthly retirement, we don't go very far with that), Vietnam would have been the ideal anchor;
but here it is that this country is closing its borders to foreigners who want to live there year round ...

We will only have a few places left, Antarctica, Kerguelen Island if we are friends with penguins; :cheesy:

on the other hand if we like beer and alcohol it may be difficult ...
and for girls; well we will have to do like the legionaries in the desert ..:w00t:

I still think that with a decent retirement some countries in eastern Europe, Romania, Ukraine still seem to me a good option.
As usual you will have to learn a few words of the local language in order to be able to go with a young and pretty local who is not shy so do not go to luxury bars or strut luxury chickens ...

In fact it is the same in all countries;

here in Thailand, when we speak the language a little bit and Thai Lao is a plus in Isaan , , we can easily leave for the night or more if affinities with a pretty girl who sells trinkets in the alleys of the big Malls ...

• Like 2

I've read on internet Malaysia pretty good so I spend one month there.

Well, indeed 3 month landing permit was issued in 10 seconds, train to Kuala Lumpur Sentral cost around 15$ and you can have reasonable hotel room for 30 bucks a night. I addition KL Sentral building has everything--access to all country, food and shopping. But the pressure of local culture is not positive at all compared to Singapore or Thailand. Singapore is too small and Thailand has this allure of everything available.

On 2/1/2020 at 7:37 AM, Gweiloman said:

What’s wrong with American women?

I've only known a few American women. As with all races some were nice and the rest did not make me want to emigrate to the US any time soon.

Even had I not known any American women, those that I see in the movies put me off- men are always bad, women good.

• Confused 1

Apparently, Malaysia is tightening up on their "MM2H" retirement visa. The stated rationale is similar to Thailand's: to crack down on foreign criminals and money laundering. (See:

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2019/03/04/report-putrajaya-tightens-checks-on-expat-retirement-programme/1728776 )

In practice, however, applicants have reported being rejected for MM2H visas simply for having "military or security related employment" in their history or being from a "blue collar" profession. Recent applications from US civil service employees (a doctor and IT applicants) have also been rejected.

Ok. Most countries avoid giving negative impression and crime rates never discussed. For old fart like me knowing crime rates is essential and internet help make choice. For example Japan has low crime rate and, indeed, I never had problems but Taiwan where crime rate even lower I had been scammed multiple times. Or lets take a look at Latin American countries--raging civil war in Columbia, Argentina's corruption or Mexico and some websites still trying to convince me to move there. And, in general, my experience with Latinos was not positive.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, olfu said:

Ok. Most countries avoid giving negative impression and crime rates never discussed. For old fart like me knowing crime rates is essential and internet help make choice. For example Japan has low crime rate and, indeed, I never had problems but Taiwan where crime rate even lower I had been scammed multiple times. Or lets take a look at Latin American countries--raging civil war in Columbia, Argentina's corruption or Mexico and some websites still trying to convince me to move there. And, in general, my experience with Latinos was not positive.

I would say in your case if you have negative feelings about Latinos, then Latin America is most probably not for you!

Latin America is a big place and yes there is a lot of crime in many areas there, but there are also areas that have much more tolerable levels of crime. Not only talking about countries but specific areas within countries.

I think at present Chile is considered the safest country overall in Latin America.

Colombia does still have problems with Farc but it wouldn't be accurate at all to say it's in the midst of a raging civil war. But there are "hot" areas there that not coincidentally don't really attract tourists or expats.

You're correct that there are a lot of people in business trying to push people to expatriate to places that they color as trouble free paradises when in truth such places don't really exist on earth (but can be simulated with enough money). It's always best to look at the pros and the cons of any place. Different people have different needs and priorities. One size does not fit all. 

Edited by Jingthing

Basically, for a Vietnam DL tourist visa, the BEST case scenario is that (regardless of length of your visa—90 days, 1 year), you will have to apply for an extension every 30 days (sending your passport along with paperwork and waiting 5 days) to stay in country for an additional 30 days. Otherwise, you will have to make a border run every 30 days

Ok. Visited Saigon, Vietnam and Cambodia--was not impressed at all. In Saigon you risk your life crossing street. And Cambodia is very happy being bottom of the barrel and overcharging stupid farangs. Never been in Laos as dealing with commies not my cup of tea--rather stay in Singapore where English is official language.

Singapore is pretty good with 3 month landing permit but too small if you have money to burn.

We Malaysians must be the most preferred visitors to Thailand:
1. Malaysians are exempt from paying any visa fee, such as education, business and non-O visas.

2. Malaysians are exempt from the 2 border-run limits.

Malaysians who have taken Thai wives generally don't have to bother to take any non-O visa. Much more convenient to get a long-term social visa pass for the Thai wife (2 to 5 years) and live in Malaysia and fly to visit the Thai in-laws every few months on visa-exempt. Some simply maintain a house in the South (Hat Yai, Betong or even Phuket) and drive in now and then from Malaysia.

After living in Malaysia for over 5 years, the Thai wife is eligible to apply for permanent residency.

3 minutes ago, Selatan said:

We Malaysians must be the most preferred visitors to Thailand:
1. Malaysians are exempt from paying any visa fee, such as education, business and non-O visas.

2. Malaysians are exempt from the 2 border-run limits.

Malaysians who have taken Thai wives generally don't have to bother to take any non-O visa. Much more convenient to get a long-term social visa pass for the Thai wife (2 to 5 years) and live in Malaysia and fly to visit the Thai in-laws every few months on visa-exempt. Some simply maintain a house in the South (Hat Yai, Betong or even Phuket) and drive in now and then from Malaysia.

After living in Malaysia for over 5 years, the Thai wife is eligible to apply for permanent residency.

5 years?! I can barely handle 5 days in Malaysia. I met some Syrian refugees depressed out of their minds when I was there. When you have war-torn refugees complaining about Malaysia...you know it sucks.

• Sad 1

Just now, lust said:

5 years?! I can barely handle 5 days in Malaysia. I met some Syrian refugees depressed out of their minds when I was there. When you have war-torn refugees complaining about Malaysia...you know it sucks.

That's probably because you don't have a car to drive around whereas most Malaysian households have 2 to 3 cars. And because our highway network is very good, we can travel to lots of places very easily and our petrol is cheap. For example: Just one hour's drive from KL is Genting Highlands where you can enjoy a cool weather, gambling, dining and drinking around the clock. Too bad many Western sexpats didn't know of this place because they could bump into many pimps offering all kinds of women there. If you like beaches, the beautiful east coast is only a few hours drive from KL via the East-Coast Highway. Those who like nature, should try the national park, Taman Negara, the oldest rainforest in the world. Plenty of watering holes and whores in KL itself. You just have to ask the locals (especially the Chinese) to show you where they are.

Here's a photo of Genting Highlands (top) from KL.

20190513-FB-Jun-Hong-KL-and-Genting-High

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

Basically, for a Vietnam DL tourist visa, the BEST case scenario is that (regardless of length of your visa—90 days, 1 year), you will have to apply for an extension every 30 days (sending your passport along with paperwork and waiting 5 days) to stay in country for an additional 30 days. Otherwise, you will have to make a border run every 30 days

Doesn't sound good. You have to physically go and produce your passport every 30 days to get an extension? That's crazy. I don't think we have much to complain about then here in Thailand do we?

18 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Doesn't sound good. You have to physically go and produce your passport every 30 days to get an extension? That's crazy. I don't think we have much to complain about then here in Thailand do we?

Reasonably Elite Visa for Thailand at 15 000$ look overpriced but it only cost extra 300$ a month which could be compensated by living in cheaper hotel.  

1 hour ago, olfu said:

Reasonably Elite Visa for Thailand at 15 000$ look overpriced but it only cost extra 300$ a month which could be compensated by living in cheaper hotel.  

Personally, I would just put the 800,000 baht in the bank and renew the retirement extension annually. Unless you have gobs of money to spend, this is a waste to me. It's certainly nice to have the option though. In my case, I am married, so I would need to put only 400,000 into a bank. Oh and hey... I don't keep any money in the bank for my annual VISA extension. I just show 40,000 coming into my account every month. I just saved myself $15,000. Once you get the renewal paper figured out, it really isn't that much of a hassle. 

2 hours ago, olfu said:

Given the current latest health insurance requirements, the Elite is shining a bit brighter, assuming of course no further changes.  And the Elite visa folks process the 90 day reports in general, and no border hopping required. One still pays the yearly extension fee of 1900 baht I think it is.  If the Baht exchange rate gets better the Elite starts looking better, especially if money is not a big issue.  Paying 500,000 baht for five years (possibly six) versus putting 800,000 baht in a Thai bank and not having to deal with trips to immigration, proving funds, getting bank books, etc.  I retire and want some simplicity after dealing with government agencies and DOD requirements for decades. 

For 3 month stays, say twice a year, to me, Thailand still is one heck of a fun and easy place.  I will give the Philippines a visit, but I really do prefer some Thai architecture, buddhist temples, etc. 

Edited by gk10002000
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Given the current latest health insurance requirements, the Elite is shining a bit brighter, assuming of course no further changes.  And the Elite visa folks process the 90 day reports in general, and no border hopping required. One still pays the yearly extension fee of 1900 baht I think it is.  If the Baht exchange rate gets better the Elite starts looking better, especially if money is not a big issue.  Paying 500,000 baht for five years (possibly six) versus putting 800,000 baht in a Thai bank and not having to deal with trips to immigration, proving funds, getting bank books, etc.  I retire and want some simplicity after dealing with government agencies and DOD requirements for decades. 

To each his own as they say... $15,000 invested in an index fund at a 7% rate of return from the age of 50 to 70, not putting any additional savings in there and you quadruple your money to $60,000. Free money just adding up... passive income. But like you said if money is not a big issue for you already then spend away of course for the convenience. I'll spend the half day annually to do paperwork for that kind of ROI. If someone gave you $2250.00 every year.. to go do their retirement paperwork for them, would you do it? One day's worth of paperwork for $2250.00.

Edited by Tounge Thaied