Trip To Penang

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In another post you said:

"i had previous multiple tourist visa, back to back, but the previous mulitple tourist visa was from KL."

May I ask if this is the current passport you are talking about? I just want to make sure that you actually had all these visa stamps, and still you got a three entries tourist visa with no questions asked. And exactly how many visas are there in your passport (tourist and 30 days visa on arrival respectively)..

yes they are in my current PP, i have a few back to back 3entry tourist in the same PP, you have to understand you still need to get out of the country every2month+1extention=3month to activate the next entry, i usually do it at poipet, jump across and back
May I also ask what your nationality is?

im not white im asian american

I have a theory: they are treating English speaking (native speakers) tourists with a lot of visas with suspiciousness. Why? Because they MIGHT be working as English teachers, illegally
i don't work in Thailand, especially not a english teacher:D early retire you might say, eventually one of these day i will marry my sweetheart and get a non o, until that time come im on multiple tourist, i don't usually go to the same consulate twice, i change around, eventually i'll come back to the same consulate, but by than its about 1or2 year have pass :o
I recomand http://www.latestays.com/ to book a hotel in Penang. Last time I went there I booked "Sunway Georgtowne" good and clean hotel for 110 ringit (about 1200 Baht) and close to KOMTA.

yes that hotel also a good hotel, i also check that hotel, and take a peek at the room, good and clean.

Just returned from Penang and I found it quite boring. I stayed at the Hotel Hong Ping on Chulia street for 59 ringit per night (apprx 600 baht). Rooms were clean enough and had a TV, aircond and private bath. It's 4 blocks from Penang road. I found that the Hotel grand continental was somewhat old and tired. Rooms there are around 105 Ringit.

Just a reminder; you must pay for your visas at the consulate in ringits, not baht. The guard there will exchange your bahts into ringits for you but you won't get a good exchange rate.

Chingy, thanks for the report.

I can only add that the guys in the exchange booths outside the Swiss Hotel can be trusted with your PP if you don't want to go out to the consulate.

One more thing.... avoid the "Swiss Hotel" at all costs, it was filthy last time i was in Penang.

I liked Penang and the great choice of foreign fodder. I never had a problem chatting to Moslem girls, they love to speak English, esp if they are at college or uni.

Ignore the dark looks from the Mozzie men. :o

I also felt very safe wandering around the alleys at night

For a tourist visa in Peneng, do you need to show a plane ticket out? All the official rules on various sites say you do, but a previous post on this thread suggests all they want are the photos and cash?

Agree on the Swiss Hotel, there are loads of better options in the Chulia St. area. If you're on a budget take some time to wander around & check a few out, no way it's gonna be so crowded you'll need to take the 1st place you see.

1-

Next time I will definitely stay on the beach - the Batu Ferenghi area looks like a possibility.  The shoreline on the mainland side was pretty grimy and industrial, but the other side of the island looked ok. 

2-

Malaysia is a Muslim country and although they are fairly tolorant, it IS illegel for a muslim woman to have sex with a non-muslim!  If you do get friendly with a local (which isn't very likely), make sure she's Chinese or Indian.  I don't know this from personal experience, just some anecdotal stuff I read before my visit.

3-

My Thai wife felt a little uncomfortable there.  She thought that the Malay's looked down Thai women.

1-

Agreed. There is no much reason to stay in the downtown of Penang (Georgetown)

Better move on to Batu Ferringhi - I usually stay at the Lone Pine Hotel, but if you think, it is too expensive, then walk a bit on for some minutes and ask around for the guesthouses near the beach.

At the mainland, I stay in Kulim (a Hokkien Chinese city) - a bit away from the coast - regular bus-service from Penang near Komtar, passing by also Bukit Mertajam (has also some hotel accomodation). I still know people living in Kulim, otherwise no much reason to visit the mainland on the other side.

2-

To show sexual feelings (like kissings or touchings) is illegal in all public areas in Malaysia, regardless of your religion.

It is illegal to be together with a MARRIED Muslim woman in the same room without her husband (or other close relatives), regardless of your religion. Hotel rooms might be checked by police during night.

A SINGLE Muslim girl, full-age, is very free however to do what she likes. - She might come with you, if you like her, and she likes you.

(and you might convert to Islam any time and marry her!)

3-

Yes, correct, Thai women complain, that Malay men are looking down on them.

Many Malaysians (often Chinese, but also Malay Muslims) from Penang and north of that region have a 'second wife' and a 'second house' in South Thailand, 'for holidays only'.....

Just returned from Penang...

Tourist visa is 100 ringit per entry.

Non immigrant is 200 ringit per entry. A multi is 500 ringit (in case you are successful in getting this).

I didn't use a visa agent myself, but I checked the fees. They are as follows:

A tourist visa should be no more than 20 ringit.

A non imm is 30 ringit, the explanation was "more work".

It is possible to pay for express service, though the consulate officially doesn't offer this service anymore. The fee is 60 ringit (visa agent). I have no idea if it really works, but I was told that you can get the passport the same day if you come to the visa agent in the morning, usually they are open from 8 or 9 AM.

You have to apply in the morning (if you do it by yourself), and the passport is ready for pickup the following day in the afternoon (2 - 4 PM). The consulate is open mon - fri.

The taxi fare to the consulate is 10 ringit one way, the taxi driver will always ask if you want him to wait for you.

The taxi fare from / to the airport should be no more than 25 ringit.

Chulia Street is the best location for hotels, guest houses and visa agents.

Just returned from Penang...

Tourist visa is 100 ringit per entry.

Non immigrant is 200 ringit per entry. A multi is 500 ringit (in case you are successful in getting this).

I didn't use a visa agent myself, but I checked the fees. They are as follows:

A tourist visa should be no more than 20 ringit.

A non imm is 30 ringit, the explanation was "more work".

It is possible to pay for express service, though the consulate officially doesn't offer this service anymore. The fee is 60 ringit (visa agent). I have no idea if it really works, but I was told that you can get the passport the same day if you come to the visa agent in the morning, usually they are open from 8 or 9 AM.

You have to apply in the morning (if you do it by yourself), and the passport is ready for pickup the following day in the afternoon (2 - 4 PM). The consulate is open mon - fri.

The taxi fare to the consulate is 10 ringit one way, the taxi driver will always ask if you want him to wait for you.

The taxi fare from / to the airport should be no more than 25 ringit.

Chulia Street is the best location for hotels, guest houses and visa agents.

man 25 ringys for airport to panang? those dudes are thieves. you can take a 3 hour mini bus ride hatjai to penang for 20

Thanks for all reports. they are really helpful. I decided to go to penang for double entry tourist visa. I have booked Air Asia package for 7,700 bath -for 2 adults, including return air tickets and 4 days 3 nights in 4 star hotel .. i think it is very good deal (www.airasia.com). I will reach there on 14 July and return back on 17 July. I hope this gives me enough time. I conclude that what I need for the visa are

1) 2 passport photos

2) Visa application form (please let me know where I can download the form?? chingy??)

3) Money -200 R

4) uhmm I just bring receipts ..in case

5) That's it! I can't think of anything else ...Please correct me if I am wrong.

This is my first tourist visa ..(But I have 2 x 30 days on arrival visa)..It should not be a problem..?!? :o

2) Visa application form (please let me know where I can download the form?? chingy??)
i havent found any website that i can download, you just have to do it there, its pretty fast and easy, ask the indian guy that work there there for an application, if you don't ask him, he will wait till the last minute to give you and application.

one thing i like to mention try to be there early, atleast 15minute early, not to much crow in early morning, fast and easy

other have told me to whatch out for holiday, make sure its not any holiday on the day you travel, or it would be a waste of trip.

4day3night (Air Asia) everything have to be done in sequences, if you miss one day, you'll end up buy another air ticket home.

This is my first tourist visa ..(But I have 2 x 30 days on arrival visa)..It should not be a problem

shouldn't be any problem, i have half a dozen myself

• 2 weeks later...

Non immigrant multi entries are still issued at Penang consulate, no problem! I'm not even married. But I do have a child with my thai g.f.

There is also a possibility to get the passport before noon, around 11 - 11.30.

No need to stay one more day in Penang just because the pick up time is SUPPOSED to be 2 o'clock in the afternoon!

Just come around 11 and tell them you have a flight to catch (Air Asia for example is departuring 13.30). Have a seat and they WILL give you your passport before 11.30. I was told by someone that you have to show them your ticket (airplane, train or whatever) but this is nonsense. I didn't show them anything. But remember, be polite.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Chingy, interesting to read your penang story. after my trip i drew the exact same conclusions. The place is pretty worthless cept to get your visa

I totally disagree. Besides in the sex trade, how does Thailand beat it?

Personally I love Penang and could almost live there. It's a fine

antidote for Thailand. Very civilized, like a REAL country, honest, safe,

friendly, quiet, aid-back, and funky with all the ethnic

groups and backpackers. Few visible police. Great place to relax. I

spent last Songkran there and that was by far the best Songkran I've

ever had! I'll be going back next year, that's for sure.

I can only add that the guys in the exchange booths outside the Swiss Hotel can be trusted with your PP if you don't want to go out to the consulate.

I second that recommendation too. These guys (NJ books) have have been

there doing the same thing forever: they are quite honest and

legitimate and are definitely not "fly-by-night." I have gotten

numerous visas through them (it's not visas that were ever being faked

anyway: it was extension stamps). It's very convenient to have them

fill out the papers and take your passport to the consulate for the

visa so you don't waste half a day.

As for getting around, one option to consider is renting a motorbike. You don't need an int'l license, cost only about 50R for three days. Great for

exploring around.

The shopping center next to Komtar, on the upper floors, is great for

shopping for DVDs, games, software, music, etc.

Chingy, interesting to read your penang story. after my trip i drew the exact same conclusions. The place is pretty worthless cept to get your visa

I totally disagree. Besides in the sex trade, how does Thailand beat it?

Sounds like you are rather anti-Thailand. This being the case you should certainly move to your beloved Penang

Are we talking about the same Penang? As far as i/m concerned its good for a visa run and nothing else. but each to their own.

Are we talking about the same Penang? As far as i/m concerned its good for a visa run and nothing else. but each to their own.

I'll second that emotion thai flyer. this dude is obviously anti-anything thai by the way he speaks of thai bus drivers at the swiss and how malaisia is a REAL country, thus insinuating that thailand is something less than that. I must say that my experience in penang was one where I was bored to tears there. great for visa only. IMO :o

i have a friend works in penang. his only entertainment is waiting for friday and take the bus to the thai side either to Dannok or to hat yai for some action. he told me all expats in penang are all so hungry for female companionships and also so eager to see some neon signs. they are crossing the border every week and fill up all the hotels in hat yai.

Non immigrant multi entries are still issued at Penang consulate, no problem! I'm not even married. But I do have a child with my thai g.f.

There is also a possibility to get the passport before noon, around 11 - 11.30.

No need to stay one more day in Penang just because the pick up time is SUPPOSED to be 2 o'clock in the afternoon!

Just come around 11 and tell them you have a flight to catch (Air Asia for example is departuring 13.30). Have a seat and they WILL give you your passport before 11.30. I was told by someone that you have to show them your ticket (airplane, train or whatever) but this is nonsense. I didn't show them anything. But remember, be polite.

Good luck!

depend on their mood, when i was there, there was a fellow doing the same as you he wanted to pick up his visa early cause he was flying AA, but it turn out that he didn't get his visa early and have to buy an extra ticket for the next day home. would you take that chances, i certainly not, one extra night won't hurt,

everybody have the right to do their own thing as they please, but you heard it here first (I told you so). :o

Penang - good place to shop: most people speak english and it's cheap - the dvds are only about 60 baht, whereas they charge 200 in bangkok !!

Recommend the waldorf hotel as a good mid-price hotel

and the visa agents are not fly-by-nights - they've been there for years. and the visas are from the thai embassy: I once went there during a public holiday and had to wait 4 days for the embassy to open again. also, the agents ask for original certificates etc - i don't think forgers would do so !!

also, if you go at about 2.30pm, you can speak to the visa man himself. he personally picks-up and delivers the passports in his briefcase. he works for the embassy, so i don't think it is illegal - he's just saving you a trip to the embassy !!

but do avoid agents in thailand who say you can get visa without leaving the country !!!!