F row reversing or Macros?

toast1

I like to make Macros that work on the F row, using software that lets me click on a key once.

Asus lets me do this as it has an F row reverse lock, that lets me lock the F row into locking the Fn key down, thus making the F numbers default.

Can I do this on any non-Asus products?

Or, is there an app that will allow me to make Macros for one key (Print, Pause, Scroll lock etc) without having to also use an Alt or other key?

Thanks

Thanks KeeTua, I appreciate your suggestion.

Not like the annoying comments above yours.

I use MacroScheduler, but this only works on the F row keys with an F number function 

Can I use AutoHotKey to make Macros for any key on the F row, such as Print? 

Thanks

Edited by toast1

Personally I used lots of Function keys with the default functions which they have for many programs like F1 for help, F2 for edit, F5 for refresh, etc.

And lots of other key combinations like Ctrl-P, Ctrl-S, Ctrl-N, ...

And some Windows key combinations like Windows-D.

I think knowing many of those keys and key combinations makes using a computer a lot easier and faster.

And about the mouse: The mouse is fine. And the keyboard is fine. And it's most efficient to use one or the other for some time and not changing between keyboard and mouse all the time.

I find it always amusing when I see users entering something with the keyboard in one field and then they use the mouse to click on the next field, and then the keyboard again to type a word or two and the mouse again...…     I just type, TAB, type, TAB. That is a lot faster.

• Like 2

Yes you can create an AutoHotKey script that will launch the print dialog box with any single Function key keystroke.

Ctrl+P is used to launch the print dialog from most PC programs.

AutoHotKey will send keystrokes so you would create a very simple script for example to send Ctrl+P and assign it to an F key.

Like most computer applications there is a learning curve to using AutoHotKey. It's worth the effort to spend some time figuring out how it works. Helps if you're at least intermediate level PC user.

That's good info KeeTua, I'll give it a go..

thanks

Yes OneMoreFarang, it really annoys me, I have tried since 1996 to explain to people to use the tab key, and the return key instead of using a mouse to click OK,  but the all ignore this advice (almost all women, well, in fact, 100% women).

I have given up.

Edited by toast1
  • Like 1