Most evacuees from Wuhan safe from coronavirus

webfact

Most evacuees from Wuhan safe from coronavirus

By THE NATION

800_4c0400c47db0012.jpg?v=1580973463

Dr Suthep Phetmak, Public Health Inspector of Region 6, on Thursday (February 6) briefed the press on results of the physical examination of the 138 Thais brought back from Wuhan city of China's Hubei province, the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak.

The evacuees arrived in Thailand at U-Tapao International Airport in Rayong province on Tuesday (February 4).

“134 were found to be physical and mental healthy with no symptoms of the new coronavirus,” he said. “Four persons, however, displayed symptoms such as coughing and diarrhea. They were put on special monitor list and separated from others. All 138 persons did not have fever”.

Of the four under quarantine, he said, one had diarrhea and two were coughing but are slowly recovering. Only one person remains on the caution list as doctors found abnormality in their lungs during x-ray. “The patient’s lower lungs might have been infected, but doctors need to perform more tests,” he added.

All 138 Thais are bring kept at Royal Thai Navy’s facilities for 14 days after arriving in Thailand.

Meanwhile, Royal Thai Navy’s spokesman Vice Admiral Prachachart Siriwat said that the Navy will not reveal the names of those in quarantine in line with their rights. “However, people who are concerned that their relatives might be among those in quarantine can, in person, contact Aphakorn Kiatwong Hospital in Chonburi, which is the central agency dealing with Thais brought back from Wuhan”.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381690

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-06

17 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Worthless information only 2 days after they was evacuated. We already know it can be up to 14 days before showing any symptoms.

Which is why:

All 138 Thais are bring kept at Royal Thai Navy’s facilities for 14 days after arriving in Thailand

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DLock said:

It's the word "most" that bothers me.

Please explain.

four out of 138 have potential symptoms

134 out of 138 equals "most" (~97%)

that's my guess.

Assuming they could have been exposed as late as the day of departure (was that Tuesday?), then maybe best to wait until the 18th to guage things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

“134 were found to be physical and mental healthy with no symptoms of the new coronavirus,” he said.

And it's a doctor who has the nerve to announce that ..
Does he actually have his doctorate degree?
besides doctor in what?

not sure whether it is in medicine ...

35 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

four out of 138 have potential symptoms

134 out of 138 equals "most" (~97%)

that's my guess.

Assuming they could have been exposed as late as the day of departure (was that Tuesday?), then maybe best to wait until the 18th to guage things.

So "most" means the 3% that have possibly showed symptoms immediately...

The remaining 97% are not "clear", it just may take another 11 days for them to also show symptoms...

I wonder if the quarantine is 1 per "room" or they mix. Because if 1 or more person tests positive in the next 11 days, does the quarantine start again, assuming they are mixed?

Inquisitive minds want to know.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, HHTel said:

It was a statement of the current situation.  Of course that could change  which is why they are in quarantine for the next couple of weeks.  

I see nothing wrong with the report.

If you look at the quarantining arrangements around the world, I don't think any of them involve separate rooms.  They are kept apart in groups from the general public and monitored daily.  If symptoms appear or the virus is confirmed then the people who are infected are moved into isolation.

In some countries, people returning from China are 'quarantined' at home!

Thailand is doing no different from other countries.

Given the incubation period is suggested at 2-14 days, of which symptom are not displayed, but the person is contagious (and reproductive number is between 1.5 and 3), then if people are in groups in quarantine, this technically could be a recurring quarantine as new cases appear...

Not saying Thailand does anything different to anyone else. I am just trying to tie the facts of the virus and how it could play out.

31 minutes ago, HHTel said:

It was a statement of the current situation.  Of course that could change  which is why they are in quarantine for the next couple of weeks.  

I see nothing wrong with the report.

Up to you! That´s great! But then this confirms they do not have the virus, right? Why not let them out then? Because they not know yet!

Therefore worthless information. 

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, DLock said:

The remaining 97% are not "clear", it just may take another 11 days for them to also show symptoms...

I think we're in sync on this one.

I was simply offering one view on the headline.

That's why I said...

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Questioning the practices, and statements made by Thai authorities, hardly seems like Thai-bashing, but evidently anyone not prostrating themselves to these functionaries is "bashing". Some folks need to treated for the vapors.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

It is not worthless, they are just reporting on the state of their health at this time, cos you know, people will want to know.

Sure, I didn´t think about you and all the people that need to know facts that are actually not facts. I will think about that next time Mr. Premium.

• Sad 2

Holy <deleted>, this cesspit of Negative Nancys is just mind-boggling. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. When the authorities don't give updates you complain, when they do give updates you complain. They're giving us a clear update about the situation, without sugar-coating or playing it down – what more do you want? If it's of no interest to you, don't read it.

• Like 1

It is been reported, in a newspaper that I can't name,  that one of the 138 has the virus ...

The Public Health Ministry reported seven new cases of the coronavirus on Saturday, including three Thais and four Chinese. One of the cases was part of the group of 138 evacuated from China's coronavirus epicentre of Wuhan on Tuesday, Dr Suwannachai told reporters.

Seems fortunate that the returnees were isolated and still are..a plus for Thailand ...

Edited by JAS21