Nissan CVT fluid change

petermik

I have a 2016 Nissan Sylphy,now out of warranty and running absolutely fine (long runs in the main 940 kms trips between Pattaya and Trang and return) car has done 48,000 kms and I was rather surprised (shocked really) to be told by my local Nissan dealership that the CVT fluid should be changed at 40,000 kms (cost 2800 baht using Nissans NS3 fluid) popped across the road to the Bosch Service centre who quoted 1,500 baht using Valvoline CVT fluid.

Two questions really is the 40,000 kms change on the low side (Nissan Sentra US version of the Sylphy says 60-80k miles) and has anyone had any experience of using Valvoline CVT fluid?

Any useful comments welcome....:thumbsup:

My Suzuki CVT (Jatco/Nissan) says 60kkm normal driving, if thrashed about a bit, 30kkm. When it comes to CVT I would use what they want you to use, the additive thingy. So I used Suzuki stuff.

With regular autos I would use any brand fluid. I intend to change mine again at around 25kkm, good insurance....☺️

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 9:50 AM, transam said:

My Suzuki CVT (Jatco/Nissan) says 60kkm normal driving, if thrashed about a bit, 30kkm. When it comes to CVT I would use what they want you to use, the additive thingy. So I used Suzuki stuff.

With regular autos I would use any brand fluid. I intend to change mine again at around 25kkm, good insurance....☺️

And I have discovered it is the same unit as what is fitted to the Sylphy/Juke/Note,the service recommendations for my Sylphy is for a check of the condition of the CVT fluid at 60k nothing at lower kms so I will put it in at my local Nissan for the 60k service (oil/filter cabin filter) and have them change the fluid at the same time......:thumbsup:

... and check the colours of the Fluid, before and After the fluid change 

Some brands have their own colour... so it may? help you quickly see if the fluid really has been Changed 

Same test applies to Coolant Changes... places have been known to Change the Fluid, in the OverFlow bottle (Only) 

familiarise yourself with the State of your Fluid Drain, and Fill locations. See if the Drain area has been recently Disturbed or not? 

The fluid deteriorates rapidly when it gets overly hot so check your cooling system is in good shape.

The main cause of JATCO CVT failure is worn flow control valves and sticking valves in the valve body - change fluid every 30k km to keep things fresh.

The other major fault is failure of the ratio control stepper - not much you can do about that but stop driving your car if the gearbox behaves abnormally. They self destruct very quickly...

19 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

The fluid deteriorates rapidly when it gets overly hot so check your cooling system is in good shape.

The main cause of JATCO CVT failure is worn flow control valves and sticking valves in the valve body - change fluid every 30k km to keep things fresh.

The other major fault is failure of the ratio control stepper - not much you can do about that but stop driving your car if the gearbox behaves abnormally. They self destruct very quickly...

Yep, I agree with the 30kkm, think my Jatco took 3ltres, so costs very little...