New car tyres

stament

I thought I had quality tires on my Mazda 3 because they were Dunlop Max 215/45R18 89W fitted from when the car was new. However after only 20,000 km I noticed a side wall crack on the front left side. Side wall fractures means change at the earliest for safety. Anyway I changed it out for a Yokohama. I was not going to buy another Dunlop although I thought that maybe it could be a one off. After taking off the tire I saw that the inside wall of the tire was a complete shambles with massive splits. How it had not burst I will never know. The one off problem appeared to be correct until two days ago when i noticed again a split this time in the front drivers side. Now the car has done 30,000 km. The tread is still in good condition so I was a bit P**sed off that I had to again buy a new tire ahead of time. Again when the tire was removed the same was seen on the inside wall almost in shreds. Again I have been lucky not to have a burst at high speed. I got the guy to check the two rear tires and he told me they were ok both outside and inside walls with plenty of tread so I left them on. Next month however I will replace both of them when some cash is available. Better to be safe than sorry. I am afraid in this case I cannot recommend Dunlop tires and it's too early to assess the Yokohama's. For disclosure the car is 90% of the time under secure parking and not out in the sun all day.

Hope this helps

Den   

4 minutes ago, denby45 said:

I thought I had quality tires on my Mazda 3 because they were Dunlop Max 215/45R18 89W fitted from when the car was new. However after only 20,000 km I noticed a side wall crack on the front left side. Side wall fractures means change at the earliest for safety. Anyway I changed it out for a Yokohama. I was not going to buy another Dunlop although I thought that maybe it could be a one off. After taking off the tire I saw that the inside wall of the tire was a complete shambles with massive splits. How it had not burst I will never know. The one off problem appeared to be correct until two days ago when i noticed again a split this time in the front drivers side. Now the car has done 30,000 km. The tread is still in good condition so I was a bit P**sed off that I had to again buy a new tire ahead of time. Again when the tire was removed the same was seen on the inside wall almost in shreds. Again I have been lucky not to have a burst at high speed. I got the guy to check the two rear tires and he told me they were ok both outside and inside walls with plenty of tread so I left them on. Next month however I will replace both of them when some cash is available. Better to be safe than sorry. I am afraid in this case I cannot recommend Dunlop tires and it's too early to assess the Yokohama's. For disclosure the car is 90% of the time under secure parking and not out in the sun all day.

Hope this helps

Den   

I had problems with a pair of Michelin that I put on to replace two factrory fitted Michelin, they were the same tyres. They wore out in no time, obviously something wrong with the compound mix..

• Like 1

We have 2 SUV's - Pajero & Toyota.....We've gotten good, long term service from Yokohama Geolanders.....

Good traction, wet or dry, and decent wear (projects out to 55-60k +)......

I do try and rotate, balance, & align every 10k.....

They are made here, so no customs/extra taxes levied....

1 hour ago, denby45 said:

Hope this helps

Den   

You ran the car for 10,000km with two different brand,tread pattern, compound tyres on the front ?

FWIW I ditched the dunlops on my maz 3 before they were 5,000 km old, they were <deleted> plus I put on 20" rims.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

You ran the car for 10,000km with two different brand,tread pattern, compound tyres on the front ?

Indeed, that's a no no.

For tyre brands, I have very good experience with Pirelli's. Specifically the Cinturato P7. I also had Michelin Pilot Sport 3 which dried up quite fast (same car same usage etc) and were pretty stiff and noisy. The Pirelli's perform well on spirited drives while also giving more comfort and quietness.

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

FWIW I ditched the dunlops on my maz 3 before they were 5,000 km old, they were <deleted> plus I put on 20" rims.

Yes I certainly did the sizes were identical and I am not racing a formula 1 car so certainly do not need to worry about the compound. If you check the tread on both tires are almost identical. There is absolutely no problem here. When I worked at the engine sheds there was a diesel fitter there who I would class as an absolute guru as far as cars are concerned. He rebuilt and showed many cars, mainly Etype Jags. He always maintained that garages/manufacturers lie about the need to have exactly the same tires on the car for obvious reasons. It's a load of bull he told me and I am sorry I would rather believe him. There were lots of other tips he gave me about how to maintain a car which I have followed throughout my life with great success. One great bit of advice was to change the oil every 5000Miles and not as per manufacturers recommendation. This proved to be a great tip. Not a great extra expense. Every car I have had in all my years the engine has always been like the day it was bought when I sold it on. 

Den

1 minute ago, sherwood said:

Put Maxxis on the pick-up, good as gold. Quiet and good in the wet, though not much of that of lateNo problems so far 6000 kms.

Put Maxxis on my Jazz , Bridgestone’s became really noisy around the 50,000 km mark.

Had the Maxxis on for 14,000 km now and so far so good.

12 hours ago, denby45 said:

Yes I certainly did the sizes were identical and I am not racing a formula 1 car so certainly do not need to worry about the compound. If you check the tread on both tires are almost identical. There is absolutely no problem here.

Den

Fair enough, Ive always been told thats a really bad thing to do.

Even moreso as the dunlop with 20k on it will have a different rolling diametre than the brand new yokohama.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Fair enough, Ive always been told thats a really bad thing to do.

Even moreso as the dunlop with 20k on it will have a different rolling diametre than the brand new yokohama.

Think my tyres had a different rolling diameter....????

picasabackground-007.jpg.6fbf3c03e77bf35bf6b942ca8a4f545a.jpg

• Haha 1

Reply to Denby 45.

I have Dunlop fitted to my Tuna 20" wheels and their just like new after 3 years and 36k on them. They were checked 3 weeks ago by Toyo. You might have got a duff lot on your front wheels.

Had Bridgestone on the last Tuna from new, and they lasted over 6 years and 80k. Only changed them as I had a puncher in one, also after 6 years it was time for a change. (Other than tread thickness they also looked like new)

In my experience most makes of tyres here are much the same. Just differ in price. I was in local tyre shop the other day and looked at Michelin new ones. They had a much thinner tread depth than other makes. How long they will last compared to other makes Buddha only knows.

Edited by fredob43

14 hours ago, denby45 said:

One great bit of advice was to change the oil every 5000Miles and not as per manufacturers recommendation.

Great tip - 20 years ago, with modern oils simply not necessary.

5 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

A lot on this forum are still living like its the 70's !!

Where the knowledge came from....????.....Back in those days rides were no way as reliable as now, a time when a service was a service....

Edited by transam

20 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Reply to Denby 45.

I have Dunlop fitted to my Tuna 20" wheels and their just like new after 3 years and 36k on them. They were checked 3 weeks ago by Toyo. You might have got a duff lot on your front wheels.

Had Bridgestone on the last Tuna from new, and they lasted over 6 years and 80k. Only changed them as I had a puncher in one, also after 6 years it was time for a change. (Other than tread thickness they also looked like new)

In my experience most makes of tyres here are much the same. Just differ in price. I was in local tyre shop the other day and looked at Michelin new ones. They had a much thinner tread depth than other makes. How long they will last compared to other makes Buddha only knows.

Tread depth is determind by its design and usage...

1 minute ago, transam said:

Where the knowledge came from....????.....Back in those days rides were no way as reliable as now, a time when a service was a service....

Yeah cars and technology has moved on a bit since the 70's making all that 70's car maintenance wisdom pretty much redundant.

Just now, Don Mega said:

Yeah cars and technology has moved on a bit since the 70's making all that 70's car maintenance wisdom pretty much redundant.

Not really, using your loaf to sort a problem back then may help determin a possible problem now, if one hadn't gone through that era we may be scratching our head today...????

1 minute ago, transam said:

Not really, using your loaf to sort a problem back then may help determin a possible problem now, if one hadn't gone through that era we may be scratching our head today...????

yeah just drag the knuckles on the ground and chuck oil in every 5000 will sort it.

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

yeah just drag the knuckles on the ground and chuck oil in every 5000 will sort it.

Well that may have been your thing, but others got more technically involved so it would/may help through ones motoring life....????

Talking of tyres ????

I have 205/45 R17s on my Mazda 2 and want to go fatter but I guess I'm limited with the 17" rims, might hit the bodywork when turning !!

Just want to prevent more damage to my rims... 

Any ideas ??

To the OP... Our Bridgestones on the Ranger lasted 120,000km from new... The replacement Michelin only lasted about 50,000km !!

2 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Talking of tyres ????

I have 205/45 R17s on my Mazda 2 and want to go fatter but I guess I'm limited with the 17" rims, might hit the bodywork when turning !!

Any ideas ??

To the OP... Our Bridgestones on the Ranger lasted 120,000km from new... The replacement Michelin only lasted about 50,000km !!

You just need to do a bit of measuring. My weeeee run around stock had 165/65x14, it now has 195/50x15, will change with 195/55x15...

If there is a sporty version of your M2, have a look at the tyre size it has...

18 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Talking of tyres ????

Any ideas ??

20 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I did try and point out in my post 17 that the tread on new Michelin tyres were much thinner than other makes. More than likely why they lasted for less KM.

14 hours ago, sherwood said:

Put Maxxis on the pick-up, good as gold. Quiet and good in the wet, though not much of that of lateNo problems so far 6000 kms.

See my post no 5. There should certainly not be any problems with only 600o km on them. Good for at least 60,000 km. in my experience, depending on how you drive of course

1 hour ago, transam said:

Well that may have been your thing, but others got more technically involved so it would/may help through ones motoring life....????

No need for me to offer any technical knowledge to people who think it is ok to have two different rolling diametre tryes on the same driven axle, Nor those who live the fairy tale of 5,000 km oil changes.

Those people are too narrow minded to believe not everything they have learn't is still valid in this day and age.

• Haha 1