When will the threat of coronavirus end? It might return every winter

NCC1701A

On 2/7/2020 at 2:01 PM, Denim said:

To look at another perspective here is a screenshot I just took from yahoo:

If you haven't yet seen Pandemic on Netflix, suggest you do so, I think it's a series and I only watched two parts today, about to go back into it, scary stuff, it's not a movie, it's a documentary and really sums things up, pre Coronavirus.

I do know exactly what your talking about with the flu numbers, 500,000 + worldwide, pandemic coming ?, well with no planes in 1918 50,000,000 people died, and now we have 100,000 commercial flights a year, me thinks it's not far away that what they are saying in Pandemic, e.g. the next major virus will wipe hundreds of millions of humans, whilst I and the family are far away enough from the masses, I think we should seriously look at taking stock for if and when the time comes, because if and when it does come, we won't want to have any contact with anyone.

On 2/8/2020 at 11:01 AM, Brunolem said:

And China is putting around 400 million people (as of yesterday) under lockdown, together with its economy, because of an average virus that officially kills much less than the run of the mill flu???

Journalists are parrots, paid to not think, but that doesn't mean that we are also dispensed to think...and put two and two together...

Agree, the lazy comparison to the globally established flu is tiresome and wrong headed thinking. The death rate of the flu is 0.1% ... even official numbers suggest that novel coronavirus is 2%, and I’ve seen estimates higher for Wuhan. If the virus spreas across the globe the death numbers will be at least 20 times more than the flu. As you state, you have to ask the question why China is locking down 400 million people and damaging it’s economy due to something less dangerous than the flu?

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

that it is now the Misinformation Age.

I would go even further and tell that IMO the newspapers regardless of which are now changing the tone into more downplay.

Ny. Times wrote a couple of days ago interesting points of the under reporting from the Chinese. Now it seems every news agency change and start this irrelevant BS comparing the CoV with the flu.

Scary IMO.

1 hour ago, Why Me said:

At this time I shall declare you the winner and quietly walk backward without taking my eyes off you.

Sorry if my comments seem threatening.  They are not intending to be.  I am simply sharing the truth as I see it. 

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, only trying to get people to be more objective and learn the truth for themselves instead of buying into all the misinformation floating around.  Please don't shoot the messenger ????

Edited by WaveHunter

17 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

o answer the OP: If this illness becomes an annual risk, then we will probably have a vaccine to deal with it by then and it can be managed  in a manner similar to how we manage seasonal flu.

Not similar, identical. The seasonal flu vaccine is a combination of the top 4 or 5 viruses that are likely to be prevalent in the coming winter. 2019-nCov will just be added to that cocktail.

Edited by DannyCarlton

5 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

What is it meant to accomplish?  Is that what you mean?  At this point in Wuhan at least, it is accomplishing very little in terms of containing the virus unfortunately. 

The Chinese government acted too late and actually allowed over 5 million residents to leave Wuhan before lockdown was implemented.

What's more, even with the so-called lockdown, many Chinese residents are actually bragging on social media and providing tips about how they were able "game the system" and get out, even how they were able to get out of the country! 

Such people are really despicable scum showing no care at all for their fellow citizens in the provinces they have escaped to, let alone the global community IMO! 

It has already spread out of the Hubei province and been seeded to other provinces with growing nodes of new infections in many of the major cities. 

Most experts believe that the Wuhan lockdown will now have minimal effect at preventing the situation from getting worse.

It seems that the primary goal of the Government at this point is to "put on a show" so to speak. 

Firstly, they want to avoid public internal panic by reassuring Chinese citizens, not only in the Hubei province but all throughout China, that the government is taking strong, decisive action to protect them, when actually they are really more concerned about "saving face" for how poorly they handled this early on.

Secondly, they are trying to show the world that they have things under control when they really do not, again, saving face on the international front is far more important to them than protecting their citizens or this crisis would not have gotten out of control in the first place.

BTW, just curious...are you an RV enthusiast or a pilot, or do you have some sort of magical RV that also flies?  LOL...sorry, couldn't resists messing with your profile name ????

I was curios to see what people understand 'lockdown' to mean.  It can mean different things to different people. Restriction on internal / external movement. Temperature checks when going into food shops etc....  I can not read Chinese but had a good look at the Beijing link that I posted earlier which give at least one view of what is happening inside the 'Great Wall'.  Haha ... Yes I do have an 'interest' in flying .....  If you share the same interest feel free to PM me. 

18 hours ago, rickudon said:

An example of how quickly the virus can spread and that it probably does so before symptoms appear, is the latest UK man to be diagnosed. He spent 4 days in Singapore, then 4 days at a ski resort in France before returning to the UK. One week later he was diagnosed with CV. French authorities then tested the residents at the ski lodge, and 5 have so far been confirmed as having CV.

But between the day they meet this contaminated gentleman and the day they were tested positively, how many days have passed during which they have been able to meet, discuss, etc. with other people for the moment unknown who are certainly also infected without knowing it ...

This is the whole problem of this silent incubation which can last 14 days;
When the Chinese formed a sanitary cordon  around Wuhan, this cordon was already useless except to close the whole country ( China ) as well at the entrances as to the exits and to do it as quickly as possible.

However, that was not at all the case since the doctor who alerted the authorities was first taken for a madman before they only react 3 weeks later.
The damage is done and now it is everywhere on this earth.

8 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

vaccine will be made . us pharm companies willl make one and charge top dollar for the shot

A vaccination only works before being infected;
and will only work on uninfected people;
how to recognize them when the incubation can last 14 days without any symptoms?

22 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

In my humble opinion, this word "soup" is too much used
We were told about a bat soup that would have ....:w00t:

So the ground zero dude will forever be known as Batman?

Edited by bkk6060

10 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

A vaccination only works before being infected;
and will only work on uninfected people;
how to recognize them when the incubation can last 14 days without any symptoms?

A vaccine for nCoV is at least a year away so right now that has no bearing on the present outbreak at all unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

The trouble with posting "Facts" about an ongoing situation that the "Facts" are unknown about is that it just feeds the rumor mill.

The newest "Probability Facts" are that it originated from animals OR it originated in a secret Chinese lab that experiments with deadly viruses and a worker was accidentally exposed and didn't say anything. Just walked around infecting people.

Personally I'm going to continue smoking and drinking and generally polluting my body to the point that no virus can find a clean cell to take hold of and grow. ????