Meet the Head Master Mr Jon Standen of Harrow International School

snoop1130

Meet the Head Master Mr Jon Standen of Harrow International School

Screen-Shot-2020-01-21-at-20.29.35.png

Expat Life in Thailand sat down with Mr Jon Standen the genial Head Master of Harrow International School Bangkok to find out about his history and beliefs and the world-class education that his school delivers.

It is fitting that Mr Standen, a history graduate, should find himself leading this particular international school in Bangkok: its distinguished namesake, located just outside London, was founded in 1572 under a Royal Charter granted by Queen Elizabeth I. The school in Thailand now has its own impressive pedigree of 22 years of creating future leaders.

How did you end up at Harrow Bangkok?
I’ve been a headmaster for 12 years. This is my third headship, my first two were in the UK.

I was head of a selective state grammar school in the West of England, where I had a fabulous 8 years at a really great school. During my time there, the number of students increased by 20%, and the percentage of A*-A grades achieved doubled. I don’t believe that A* and A grades are the only or the most important measure – we valued every pupil – but it was wonderful to double the number of top grades.

I then moved to become head of an independent school in southwest England. A school where three quarters of students were day pupils and one quarter were boarders, this was an exciting new challenge for me. Reported as having ‘Extremely successful…happy and knowledgeable young adults’, where students achieved excellent exam grades, it was also possibly the best swimming school in the world! There aren’t many schools who have a Year 10 girl who goes on to win an Olympic gold medal. During my headship we had 11 students and former students competing at the Rio Olympics – impressive stuff! I was headmaster there for 4 years and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

But one of the things my wife Suzie and I always talked about was that if the right school in Asia had a headmaster position become available, how about we take it on? Very fortunately, 2 years ago Harrow Bangkok had a vacancy as the previous head was moving on and that definitely was, and is, the right school.

What’s your educational background?
I grew up in Kent. From an independent prep school, I was accepted to the Judd School, a top state grammar school. I later went to Nottingham University to study history and ancient history. After graduating I took a job in the civil service. I didn’t feel passionate about this career though so I thought hard about what I love doing and could I make it a career. I concluded that I really loved history; on days off I thoroughly enjoyed going to castles. I decided to find a job where I could use my history skills so I moved into teaching. I really enjoy being around young people, helping them learn, helping them grow and seeing them mature. I ended up in a career that I’m passionate about and one that has a real purpose.

What do you think about parents’ roles with students?
I firmly believe that parents are the first teachers. My mum and dad were perfect role models for me. One of the challenges in society today, when everyone is so busy, is to put the time into home life. I look back at my mum and dad and they put a lot of time, care and effort into giving my sister and me a great upbringing and childhood. They were hardworking people, both then HM tax inspectors, one of those ‘boo-hiss’ sorts of jobs! I think the way I grew up profoundly shaped my view of parental roles in school.

What would you tell a teacher in the UK who is thinking about moving abroad?
There are many options available to UK teachers, with lots of international schools to choose from but it doesn’t get much better than Thailand with its rich culture. I love the variety of this country and the friendliness of its people. 

With the large number of international schools in Thailand now, how is Harrow Bangkok different?
Fundamentally, it’s what we believe in – ‘leadership for a better world’. We passionately strive to help our boys and girls grow into men and women who go on to make a difference in the world, to lead us in the world. That’s a key aim of ours and one that gives us a really strong purpose. It’s not just about students being leaders and getting excellent grades, which of course they do, but more specifically about being leaders for a better world imbued with a moral compass. 

For a historian, you couldn’t have picked a better school than Harrow Bangkok. What’s the school history?
With nearly 450 years of history and heritage, Harrow is a name that is synonymous with quality, at the forefront in the UK but now also in Asia through its family of schools.

Harrow was the first school to expand into Southeast Asia, opening in 1998. We’ve got Harrow on the Hill’s prominent reputation behind us, a very close relationship with them, but we have an impressive 22 year history of our own, our own record of excellence. I think that’s important for parents to acknowledge when they are investing in their children’s education. Alumni are the measure of how successful a school is and we are very proud of our inspirational alumni.

How do you get the word out about Harrow Bangkok?
We hear time and again, ‘I heard from a friend how good your school is, how friendly your school is.’ Which is a fabulous position to be in – honest, glowing endorsements – that we are so grateful for. 

The website is important too and I believe ours gives a fair and accurate view of our school. In many cases it’s the first impression people get so we work hard to show people the quality in everything we do.

Full Story: https://expatlifeinthailand.com/education/meet-the-head-master-mr-jon-standen-of-harrow-international-school/

expat.png

-- © Copyright Expat Life in Thailand