Using exterior paint inside....

ubonr1971

A year or 2 ago when we were renovating a building a painter suggested using an exterior paint inside. I thought he was barking mad...

But now in another building that we intend to rent out long term Im thinking of using an exterior paint inside the rooms. The main reason is that the building is right on the corner and exposed to rain. If the tenants forget to close the windows (ie leave the windows open with screens across) the rain will obviously go inside and hit the walls and floor. 

Is it a dumb idea to use a dulux exterior paint inside a building in rooms? Any disadvantages?

thanks

5 hours ago, Salerno said:

Other than dangerous fumes that can take weeks to 6 months to dissipate not really. If you go that way make sure adequate ventilation and precautions taken.

If it is a waterbased paint (many/most are) then there will not even be that problem. Just a bit more expensive.

23 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If it is a waterbased paint (many/most are) then there will not even be that problem. Just a bit more expensive.

I thought it was the fungicides and chemicals for UV protection added to exterior paint that was the issue in the fumes, not seeing where it being waterbased would alleviate it?

BTW, just going by what a painter decorator brother in law explained a while back so no expertise here that's for sure.

2 hours ago, Salerno said:

I thought it was the fungicides and chemicals for UV protection added to exterior paint that was the issue in the fumes, not seeing where it being waterbased would alleviate it?

BTW, just going by what a painter decorator brother in law explained a while back so no expertise here that's for sure.

The fungicides and UV inhibitors should not off gas much if at all.

I am also not an expert except in the way of using both solvent based (the fumes you mentioned) and water based (nothing significant after a couple of days and not much before then). 

solvent based can take a month or more to almost completely  harden, around 24~48 hours to dry.

waserbased is up to a week for the very slow cure paints. 1~4 hours drying. 

if you have better information I will be interested to know.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

if you have better information I will be interested to know.

Can't say I do, just passing on info from a convo a while back so happy to bow to you knowledge as you've used them.

Edited by Salerno

20 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Looking at some DIY sites it seems putting interior paint on an exterior surface is a problem not the other way round.

Some exterior finishes are not suitable for some interior uses but wall and ceiling finish is not one of the uses.

an example of an exterior finish that is not as good for one interior use is a polyurethane on a table top. The exterior poly is softer when cured than the interior poly so it’s properties that make it good outdoors are irrelevant inside. But using the same poly on a door or the table legs would be fine.