Currency/Taxi

KhaoYai

I have a short trip to HCMC coming up in March - first time there. Arriving at the airport at 21.05 - no visa required so will hopefully be through immigration quickly. Not sure whether to use a bus or a taxi to get to the hotel - heard a few stories of the usual taxi rip offs. Staying at a hotel in Vo Van Tan Street in the CBD, near the war museum.  Not a fan of Grab.

Are there any regulated taxis at the airport? Any expats know how much I should pay? Are they metered?

Also, I'm told that both the Dong and US Dollar are accepted at a lot of places - correct or best to take dollars and exchange them?

Edited by KhaoYai

I've used Vinasun taxis, both at the airport and in town, and have had no issues.  Always on the meter with no arguments.  Airport to District 1 was about 150,000 Dong and it looks like Vo Van Tan is a bit closer to the airport so should be less.  I've also taken a bus for 20,000 but not sure which one to recommend for your destination.

I use VND (Dong) obtained from an ATM at the airport.  I've seen USD accepted but not sure how widespread it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, treetops said:

I've used Vinasun taxis, both at the airport and in town, and have had no issues.  Always on the meter with no arguments.  Airport to District 1 was about 150,000 Dong and it looks like Vo Van Tan is a bit closer to the airport so should be less.  I've also taken a bus for 20,000 but not sure which one to recommend for your destination.

I use VND (Dong) obtained from an ATM at the airport.  I've seen USD accepted but not sure how widespread it is.

Yup. About 130,000 to 150,000 VND to D1. Take Vinasun (white/red) or Mai Linh (green) taxi downtown. Watch out for copy taxi names/colours. You can ignore the taxi touts outside at the lineup but they are usually pretty helpful.  

Prices will almost never be listed in US$ because it's illegal. The Viets will often take US$ but you will be ripped off on the exchange. So, change some money at the Exim or AgriBank exchange desks just outside the customs/luggage area. Go to the right. First, check the online ForEx rates. It's usually 23,000 VND to the US$.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
Typo
  • Thanks 1